Underfloor heating

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Scott, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Scott

Scott Active Member

good reviews or bad plz?
    Is it better than a normal radiator
    Thanks

2. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Depends on the type. I have electric underfloor heating under by bathroom floor tiles. Cheap to run @ 100W, but only really warms and drys the floor. A 1.5m towel radiator is used to warm the room itself.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Its well worth getting - towel radiators often lack enough BTU's to fully heat a bathroom.

If you have an electric system with time controls / thermostat it can allow you to have a warm bathroom without running whole house central heating in spring / autumn

When its really cold a warm floor is lovely - and a cat / dog will locate the warmest spot!

My system was badly installed by a so called pro. and failed after about a year as he crossed the single cable layout and did not space correctly so go for the mats with layout pre-set if you can - Annoyingly his tiling was absolutely spot on so I can't face ripping the floor up to re-do it and installed a fan heater instead (which is rubbish in comparison!).

4. Scott

Scott Active Member

Sounds like a good idea then if fitted right. Is electric better than fitting to heating system and doing whole bedroom and en suite in one. Or just do bathroom and get rads for bedroom
    Thanks

5. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I would just do bathroom with electric and rads to bedroom

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

We have underfloor heating in our bathroom and rads in the bedroom.
    You can't beat stepping out of the shower onto a warm floor and the bathroom dries quickly.
    The only downside is the bathroom floor is now about half inch higher than the landing floor but that's not a biggy.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I prefer a heat source so I can warm up my glove before a ride when it is cold and after a ride when my finger are numb!
    I think in parts of the house it is good specially if you walk bare feet (bathroom, etc) but remember they are like electric storage heaters: very slow to make a difference

8. RepsolPaul

RepsolPaul Well-Known Member

Looking to out underfloor heating in the downstairs as making it all open plan.
    Ours will be water not electric so should be good to keep warm.

Also fitting a flat panel gas fire too so extra heat if needed.