Updating your driving Licence Photograph

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Givover, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Givover

Givover God Like

Just a heads up on the above subject .The photo on the licence needs to be changed every ten years and the DVLA state that this is because " Appearances can change"" and for this fine service there would be a charge of £20 .00 .Failing to do this means your licence is not valid if stopped and could attract a £1000.00 fine. This can be done on line or using form D798 direct to the DVLA Swansea. It may also be worth checking your partners licence also.

2. lee711

lee711 Active Member

Just to add, if your passport photo is 5 or less years old they can use this image to update your license rather than taking fresh photo's ( you just add your passport No. to the online form ). The £20 charge stills applies though.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Barney1

Barney1 Guest

Just a heads up on this , my mate updated his licence and it came back with no bike licence only car ,
    For weeks and weeks he told dvla you've made a mistake , dvla reply we don't make mistakes ,
    No record of him taking a test ? When he's been riding for 20 years plus ,
    So he had to take test again , nearly £700 ( madness ) , so if you are updating your license , like I will be
    next year keep the paper part , tell them you've lost it , and if it comes back with no bike on it you've
    got your paper part to prove you have ,

• Like Like x 1
  4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

There was a huge todo about this a few years back chronicled, as ever, in our favourite conspiracy theory organ the MCN. Eventually DVLA promised they'd sorted it but the horror stories kept coming out. I think people were asking for their old licences back but disfigured in some way so as to be void. The best part of this was that if it was actually done, the action of doing so meant that the official responsible would see if a mistake had been made.

The best solution I saw was to take your licence to the most local offic of DVLA and deal face to face with somebody, making notes and taking names. Swansea is in range, just, for me to drive it there when the time comes.

The advantage of being old and finished with moving house is I've still got my pre photo licence. I'm sure they wouldn't force me to change as my picture would scare the beurocrat who laminated it sterile.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

You will be unable to use the paper licence after 2015 as you must have the photo licence which I feel is a crop of crap. Forcing you to update to the new licence that means you have to pay (was £17.50) when I changed now £20 and prob in 2015 £30 every 10 years.

Seems just another way to get money out of you

6. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

As other have said its a doddle doing it on line, but as also suggested, you don’t need to send the old one back till you get the new one so will still have proof of entitlement if things go tits up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Givover

Givover God Like

Not sure if I have read this right Ken ? Are you saying that you are Old and finished ?

8. phantom

phantom Active Member

I changed my address so I needed a new licence.when I phoned they told
    me I shouldnt lose any entitlements as its all on the computer system so I
    asked well what does my file say, they said bike and car.when I asked how
    were people losing their entitlements they said the main reason was people
    passing their tests and not sending the pass cert in or in within the proper
    time.they said some were also human error when they computer system was
    being updated but if its on the computer system now then its 100% guaranteed
    you wont lose it.sure enough I didnt lose any entitlements and they also kept a
    note of my points from 14 years ago on my licence :s

9. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

nice of them to keep a record of your points from all those years ago... funny how if you go to court for motoring offences, they can bring up your old offences...
    yet if you were an habitual burglar or sex offender they are not allowed to mention that , in case it influences the outcome.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AshBlade

AshBlade Riding Goddess

My license is due to be renewed next month....... am i best off saying i lost it.. my passport has run out as well.:(

11. rocket

rocket Active Member

a guy i work with lost his bike entitlement too thru dvla balls up.its worth photocopying everything before sending it off.

12. Barney1

Barney1 Guest

Ash I've seen what happened to my mate if I was you keep the paper part
    Tell them you lost it and if anything goes tits up you still have it ,
    It's what I'll be doing , ( not saying it will happen to you but ? )

13. Barney1

Barney1 Guest

Photocopy no good rocket , they will only say its been messed with ,
    I'm telling you all keep the paper part , its the only thing that will save you ?

14. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

I still have the old paper licence with no photo, the last time my licence went off to be updated as 26 years ago.

15. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Top trump Carl. Mine was 17 years. A bit of Sellotape and an archival sleeve keep it as fresh as possible against photo festooned, laminated hell.

• Like Like x 1
  16. callumw

callumw Active Member

Can't say checking the date on my license is high on my to do list.

Do they mail, email or call to let you know it's needing renewed?

17. AshBlade

AshBlade Riding Goddess

I received a letter in December telling me it was due for renewal... Barney,ill keep the paper bit.:D

18. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

you get a letter when it needs renewing. Best bet is to find a post office that does the photography service...that way they record your licence details, take your pic and ensure its up to the regs, and it all gets sent straight to dvla with no messing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Givover

Givover God Like

Or just scan your paper copy in colour and the plastic bit which you should do anyway and then you have a replica if things go wrong or missing at home.

20. Tom68

Tom68 Active Member

Did mine on line and only sent the old one off when I'd got the new one back and all was ok.

• Like Like x 1