Using oil

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by stevebetts, Oct 26, 2011.

1. stevebetts

stevebetts Well-Known Member

Only had my bike a short while - I've done 650 miles on it myself (total 1700 on the bike).
    Checked the oil today and was horrified to find no oil on the dipstick.
    I understand 08 blades had issues with oil usage, but understood this was rectified 09 on?
    I took the bike to the shop i bought it from today. They say it would have been at the correct level when it left the shop as they had serviced it. He topped it up - took 700ml.
    We gave it a bit of a rev outside the shop and it was clearly burning oil when revved quite high. The engine wasn't that warm so i repeated again when i got home and find it is smoking when revved fairy hard.
    I have told them i am not happy and they are contacting Honda to see where we go from here. it is a 2010 ABS bike.
    Any words of wisdom?..........

2. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Honda say its normal for rr8+ bikes to use 1l of oil per 1k miles.

Posted on my HTC Sensation with Tapatalk

3. JM1

JM1 Active Member

This is a common "issue" on these bikes (except IMO it's not an issue though).
    Unless you're a masochist (you will have a hard time justifying your case), just keep topping it up.

4. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

Gutted for you Steve. I hope my 2011 doesn't start this horrible issue, as I think it is an issue! I've read loads on this and as the lads are saying Honda say its (ok) bollocks IMO. I know it's a race engine but it's not on man, someone following a new bike who's on the gas and bloody blue smoke belching out of it, nah I think Honda has boobed here like. If mine starts using oil I'll fight toothe and nail to get something sorted.

5. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Did 2200 miles before my euro trip in Sept. did not use a drop. never checked in in 1800 miles on my trip and again did not use a drop

6. arthurbikemad

Ive been over this hundreds of times, some new ones that were run in smooth as per the book use oil some that were run in on the dyno use oil, others that had the same dont use any, Honda just stick to 1l of oil per 1k miles is normal, they have never given a reason why.. Imo I did feel a little let down by this when the rr8+ first had this problem and that was the answer!

Posted on my HTC Sensation with Tapatalk

7. stevebetts

IMO this is totally unacceptable.
    I have had many bikes over the years and none of then used a drop of oil.
    I buy a Honda for the "build quality" and they try to palm us off with this bollocks?
    If this is the tack they take with me when i hear back from them tomorrow, we will be falling out.

8. bladerunner2010

bladerunner2010 Active Member

Ive got almost 3000 miles on my 10 reg from brand new and it hasnt used any oil, before or after its first service, maybe just got a good un

9. arthurbikemad

I agree mate 100% once you could judge a bike by how it use's oil... If I were Honda I would hang my head in shame for such a poor answer.. I wish you luck mate and hope you get a result! Arthur.

10. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Mine is the same ,, just under 3K and not using oil .. Keeping a close eye on it thou

11. Si.

Si. God Like

i bought mine new in middle of Jan 2011, and ive used 1.5 litre in 7,000 miles.

12. dan.1moore1

7k i feel like iv been neglecting my bike now ... I nput 10 k a year on my 600 .. Iv turned into a weekend warrior now lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. Si.

Si. God Like

I can't understand using the bike just for weekends? Paid good money for it, might as well use it! LOL!

Saying that, i usually use my bikes over winter (i did with the blade in jan and feb) but this year it's going away in Nov until march...don't want to wreck it with salt.

14. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not really qualified to join in this one as my bike is so far removed from you guys but have to say at 9 years old and 13k on the dial, it's not burned a drop of oil since I got it in May.

If I had your bikes and was expected to take it on the chin that it's going to get through that much, I'd be seriously pissed.

15. dan.1moore1

Same here pal , I paid the price replacing salt rotting parts on my 600 so promised not to do it to the blade .. I would have doubled the milage so far but my free parking out side of work has been replaced with a 24hr gym under construction so it will get covered in dust every day and risk having a brick fall on it so she aint seen much action this year

16. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

I've done over 6k on my bike and it hasn't used a drop. It's a 2010 model. I wouldn't b happy either if it was using that much oil.

17. stevebetts

Its clear this is not a fault with all blades.
    To me, this confirms there is a mechanical fault with these oil burning bikes.
    I find it incredible in this age of precision engineering (that Honda are supposed to be amoungst ) that they have the nerve to claim that using up to 1l of oil per 1000 miles is "normal".
    I feel the beginning of a long battle coming on..............

18. Givover

Givover God Like

Mine has about 1800 miles had its 600 service and i checked it last week and it had used non. For those new to the later Blade (You don't screw the dipstick in when you check the oil)

• Like Like x 1
  19. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Fingers crossed, Steve, they may put their hands up to it yet.

20. arthurbikemad