VFR800

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by dgr, May 22, 2023.

1. dgr

dgr Active Member

Having started out on VFR750 back in 1989, I've always had a fondness for them. When I got back into biking in 2013 after 23 years off, I bought a 6th gen VFR800. This 5th gen came up for sale locally on FB Marketplace and for £650 with less than 20k on the clock I thought what have I got to lose? It hadn't been run for a couple of years, but a new battery saw it start first time with the old fuel. An oil service, new air filter, removing the Datatool alarm, a few repairs to minor cracks in the plastics and it sailed through its MOT last Friday with no advisories. I'm not sure it pulls as well as should but maybe I've been spoiled over the last 6 years by a couple of blades.

BTW the cat wasn't included.

vfr.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  2. TailwindAndy

TailwindAndy Member

Great bikes, especially for motorway commuting. I have exactly the same version as yours (minus the cat) plus my 2018 blade.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bladey

bladey Senior Member

Loved mine I bought after my first CBR 600. Smooth and powerful in comparison, very comfortable too. Made an ideal commute tool.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

I've got a 5th Gen too. Mines an early 1998. Great bikes, sound great with a pipe too. You've got a bargain there. I paid £1250 for mine in 2019 but its a Cat C. Screenshot_20230522_181535_Gallery.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. dgr

dgr Active Member

You have a stainless exhaust though, mine is the original. It is in surprisingly good condition for it's age.

I changed the plugs today and the plug from cylinder #4 was slightly wet. The coil for that cylinder was loose where it attaches to the frame too. I don't think it pulls as well as it should, so that might be the reason. I've only ridden it 60 miles though, and 50 of those was 2-up.

6. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Yea mine has Delkivic headers, very surprised yours still has the original headers most have either had them replaced or need them replacing. I think the later 5th gens even had a catalytic converter in the headers.

7. NS400R

NS400R Elite Member

Congratulations. Great buy. I always liked the VFR but have never owned one. My son however has the last VFR registered in the UK and loves it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

My mate was given one for free from a guy in the village, been stuck in his garage for 13 years, needed a bit of tidying up, new exhaust and some fettling, uses it for taking his wife pillion as she hates his Touno for that :) nice bike for a freebie

• Like Like x 4
  9. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Mine was among the very first of the new model to be registered in the UK. The dealer was only allocated 1 bike and I bought it the same day it was put on the showroom floor. Collected it on a Thursday (I think) and took it back to the dealer on the Monday with the run in mileage already done !

Took it all over Europe carrying a tent !

Still see it around now - a Polish lad has it and he thrashes to Poland and back regularly. He has done something to the of exhaust to make it sound a bit better. Maybe taken the baffle out of the Arrow end can that I put on it.

Fireblade in a different league performance wise.

Grossglockner, Austria

upload_2023-8-6_8-3-18.png

• Like Like x 6
  10. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Lovely that, do you regret selling her?

11. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I bought it for continental touring. But it was not a natural all day - outside lane - bike like a ZZR or even a GS.

Looking back it does not make me smile as much as thinking back on that Firebalde !

It was a nice bike - but no regrets about trading it in for the Fireblade.

upload_2023-8-6_23-58-10.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1