Was lucky today.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tonyblade, Aug 7, 2012.

1. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

Just been out for a blast this afternoon everything going well and enjoying it, then whilst on my way home decided to go on some back roads lent into a right hander at about 40 mph the front went big style followed by the back! Whole bike tried to kick me off what a fooking fright I got don't know how I stayed on really just reacted best I could with the bike doing a proper impersonation of a break dancer ! It's been raining up here over the last two days but road was dry, further on I noticed there was quite a lot of green fungus crap on the road so don't know if I hit some on that corner. I'll not be travelling that way again.:)

2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Feels like you can pick the whole bike up from the suction of your ring piece alone don' it Tony.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Glad to hear of your lucky escape!!

I done a stupid one yesterday, road by me has three quick rises in the road, almost 30 degree incline for say five meters, I am partial to the odd wheely over them, yesterday done the usual but as I came over crest it was damp, the rear spun up and stepped out whilst the front was in the air... I sh/t my pants I tell ya...

Bout as close as it come and would have been proper school boy embarrassing stuff!!

Love to have it on video though, prob looked cool as fcuk to the lads watching ha ha...

4. Si.

Si. God Like

ooooh, could have been nasty.

Good save though.

5. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Following my mate on his brand new XJ6 on Friday morning for his first ride out, coming up to the roundabout feeding junction 30 of the M5. The lights went amber when we were pretty close to them. He didn't brake, so I thought 'he's going for it' and grabbed a bit more of a handful, then he just stopped dead. Better bloody brakes on those Yamahas than I thought. Luckily I was headed just off him at an angle else I'd have smashed both bikes up. The front locked up and hopped three or four times before it stopped, I swear I could feel the forks deflecting. I ended up a bikes length over the line but thankfully out of the line of the traffic. I could just hear a plaintive 'Sorry!' from behind me.

6. Only1Matrixxx

Only1Matrixxx Active Member

Good saves guys!!!

Here's one of mine...

Bike loosing coolant, so I am in a hurry. Blocked in traffic by a central reservation with a blue "left" arrow... Squeeze next to the prat in the car looking at me in the side mirror but not moving an inch...

When he eventually moves after I pull next to his window and ask nicely to please give me some space I do it...........

Rev it up, drop the clutch, and then the fookin back tyre catches on the edge of the second part of the aforementioned reservation...

Well the rear JUMPED out to the left, at this point, my feet aren't even on the pegs yet, and I remember seeing a car coming opposite direction, and thinking, this is going to be very embarrassing and painful and expensive... That's right, I thought... OH SHIT!!!

Somehow kept the revs steady and the rear swung over the right, all the while that lovely HESD keeping those bars straight, and then it just stabilised and kept filtering...

Yes, silly, I know. But I am just happy to keep it upright and not hit anything!!

Not gonna do THAT again in a hurry... ;)

7. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Me to today, massive slide on my TDM leaving the dual carargeway in Arandal was going round the bend as it makes it's way under the road from where I came at around 70mph and went through a damp patch where the water was dripping from the road above, I was in the fast lane of the round slip road and slid from the curb to the white line! I went back for a look as it felt like derv but was only water however under foot it was like oil! I was real lucky not to bin it and end up in the steel siding just shows you how easy it can be! I was full lean on the TDM God knows how it stayed up right!

8. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

And one for me aswell, sunday evening and the roads were perfect so i took a right hander faster than i normally would, not sure if it was the extra speed or the fact the throttle was open a little more but the front lifted a little and when it came back down gave me a huge tankslapper, bloody bumps and long live the hesd

9. phantom

phantom Active Member

proper brown pants moment eh.

so tell me this while we are on the subject,
    how many of you have a big moment and then get on the gas again
    and ride like it didnt happen or how many pull over/slow down for a while.
    I ask as personally I ride on like it didnt happen but my mate pulls over for
    a smoke.even once it was me having a big tankslapper (bars ripped out of my hands doing full lock each way)
    I somehow saved it and was powering on and I looked in the mirrors to see him gone.
    done a U-turn an there he was having a smoke saying my near off shocked him lol.

10. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I tend to ride on. More embarrassment than machismo, I suspect.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Ride on - no point thinking about it too much.

Thank your lucky stars, make a cross, look to the heavens or whatever you do to say thanks and crack on!!

Let's face it - 9/10 you know what you done wrong Instantly and it's rider error so just take note and try not to be so daft next time! Lol

#11 Jimbo Vills, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  12. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I tend to giggle too, but that's just psychosis.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BLAGGERS

BLAGGERS Well-Known Member

Ride on and usually shout 'WHOOOOH!!!!!, what a rush!!!! '. Thought that was the whole point.....live dangerously and FEEL alive. Or do I need a rewire?

14. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

No mate. You just need to practice the 'riding' away bit more.

15. phantom

phantom Active Member

16. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

Not just me then :) Take it easy out there peeps.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

A deep inhale of breath, a 5 second word with myself, then back on the gas... store it in the memory banks for later casual analysis (may as well learn from ones mistakes) but dont dwell on it at the time, else you'll ruin your ride.

18. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

What he said ^^^^^

19. phantom

phantom Active Member

so do you think the people that do dwell on it or pull over for a
    breather over think there riding, maybe a bit of a nervous rider?