What am i doing wrong? Or maybe its not me.....

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Mel, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Mel

Mel Active Member

A discussion with 2 sides..

My side: When i accelerate my front wheel stays firmly on the floor ( I can hear you lot sniggering already)

Other Halfs side: When he accelerates he reckons he cant keep the front wheel down, which i why i dont let him ride it.

So, what am i doing wrong? Or am i doing it right, and he is taking advantage, he does love wheelies, spent most of his life on the back wheel on his R6.

2. Givover

Givover God Like

May be something to do with messing with the front sprocket or summat

3. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

If you accelerate hard enough to satisfy you and you keep the front wheel down you're doing it right and congratulations for that. By far, the best place for the front wheel to be is embedded in the Tarmac. Only concern yourself with it being in the air when you're doing it on purpose, Mel.

That's my tuppenny worth.

4. Mel

Mel Active Member

so are you saying i should try harder or keep it down? I'm confused... might book a wheelie school to make sure i understand the answer correctly :D

5. Givover

Givover God Like

He's not sure what he is trying to say (he's old)

6. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry Mel, I'm not making myself clear. What I'm saying is, you are doing it right. Wheelies under acceleration look cool but that's all. It's degrading your ability to control the bike. That's why race bikes have anti wheely devices. If, on the other hand you're trying to wheely and can't, I think Dan's just posted that he's found a tutorial somewhere. But it sounds to me like you've got a well sorted bike and a subtle right hand. Givover don't you bloody dare!

7. Mel

Mel Active Member

haha, i know what you were saying.. i am sensible, i am happy to leave it at that for the time being, might check out the tutorial though, just for amusement.
    I see the funny side of 'you've got a subtle right hand' though, anyone else?? :D :D

8. Devil

Devil Active Member

He's right it should be firmly on the floor but im surprised if you give it a handful that you actually get that choice. Bloody wicked when it does come up and you change up without the clutch - 1st, 2nd and 3rd then you feel that bump as the front wheel touches back down just an awesome feeling!!

Im thinking maybe if its not coming up and his is then as kpone said maybe he's changed the front sprocket.

So if you want to get the front wheel in the air abit more often with sheer acceleration then just give it a shit load of throttle in 1st (becareful with that), 2nd and maybe 3rd and you should have little trouble and im sure you don't need to change the sprockets unless you want to learn to wheelie in which case the smaller front sprocket will just make it easier to get the front wheel in the air but learning to wheelie is where as you say for the answers you are probably looking for are best found at wheelie school. Enjoy!

9. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Dev's right. Right out of the box your 'Blade will ground loop easy without much provocation. Anger at other road users is my particular soft spot, but please be careful with it while your getting the hang of it. 3 or 4k is more than sufficient if you wind out the clutch aggressively enough.

It was Giveover's idea about the sprocket though.

As for the joke........Well, let's just say it doesn't pay to give Giv' an excuse.

10. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

Ahhh Mel.... are we talking about Lewis on the R6 by any chance!

Welcome to the forum, didn't see you slip on here!?

Of course if you are not the Mel i think you are, then this post must seem ridiculous...

As you were....

11. Mel

Mel Active Member

haha zeepony, we meet again :D lewis has a ktm 625smc now, no more sports bike for him, its temporary though :D

12. masterblader

masterblader Active Member

Your OH with a rampant twist grip hand is already calibrated to his R6 so on a more powerful bike wheelies are eneveitable. When I tweek the blade the first test run is off the
    A224 onto the ramp for the A20 then its both wheels off the deck unintentionaliy of course till I recalibrate the right hand and grey matter as I'm no wheelie king. Woebetide when the red haze decends then yep its wheelie time. A booking to a wheelie school is a good idea if thats what you like.

13. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

:bananapowerslide:Hehe:bananapowerslide:

No way? I'm sure it won't be too long before he's back! I havnt been on LB for ages - i really hated the new site and found it all too much hard work!

Its much nicer in here :)

In answer to your question, i have only really this summer had the confidence to pop the odd wheelie or two. the best way i find is to roll off the throttle so the forks dive a bit, then really crack it back BUT, be ready to cut it off or cover the rear brake with your foot. (in 1st about 6000rpm - 2nd is softer but you gotta be doing at least 70)

Just keep popping little 1 ft'ers and then confidence and practice prevail.

It still shits me up when i get ready to do it though!

I've done it off the clutch a couple of times, but its a bit hit and miss..

see u soon!

Oh, and sit right back in the seat..!

14. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

This vid is good

15. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother. If you get it wrong or a copper sees you, it's gonna cost you a lotta money for repairs or fines. Keep both wheels on the ground!

16. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Keep the front down is right as posted. I can't wheelie for shit. But have sup prised myself by lifting the from in 3rd

17. Givover

Givover God Like

The boys who mainly do the wheelies are in general from a crosser background were they have honed there skills popping over fields ect ,They then perform top wheelie tricks on the road as second nature (i have a few mates who are good for this reason) iam not because as much as i would like to i have not had the crosser experiance, but it is nice when you give it some, hit a small rise and the front doe's a toy lift off for a few greatful seconds.

18. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Spot on ha ha .. I learnt to wheelie on a CR 250 , Bit jerky on a 2 stroke but when i changed to a KXF 250 I mastered it . Its actually easier on a superbike as it comes up smoother and is easier to balance ..

Go get a crosser ,, You will surprised how much skill you learn and adapt for the road

• Like Like x 1
  19. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

When the RR1000 first came out in 2004 the designers moved to engine forward to help keep the front end down, its also noteworthy that wheelies will reck your front seals and crack your yokes if you get it wrong. So I don't wheelie?

Oh and I don't know how too lol

20. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Like this, Carl?

Attached Files: