What an eye opener!!!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Yorkshire Tyke, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke Elite Member

WOW!

Literally just insured my R6 for the road this morning and got it taxed and tested.

Just been for a ride out with one of my mates and literally felt absolutely nothing for the road. Found it very frustrating, the R6 feels horrible to ride on the road tbh (I am aware its setup for racing).

You literally just cannot have fun at legal speeds. Took my mate who's desperate to get his knee down to a few roundabouts and showed him some body position etc but even that was extremely lame.

Its cost £20 for MOT, £30 for Tax and by the time I cancel in 14 days it will have cost me £60 for the insurance. So all in all about a hundred quid.

However, I am not annoyed whatsoever, I'm infact really happy and its the best hundred quid I've spent in a while. My plan this winter was to spend a few grand on a roadbike and go back on the roads but after today I've realised this would have been such an expensive and bad move to make. Might go for a trundle tomorrow to see if my mind has changed but its more likely that I'll be using the cash for more tracktime now instead.

I'm sure many of you still love riding the road and tbh I'm jelous because I have loads of mates who are grinning ear to ear after a thrash out, me, I just couldn't help but feel frustrated and unsafe!

2. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

Big fat TOLD YA XX

• Like Like x 3
  3. Yorkshire Tyke

Haha cheers wedgie! So glad I've done this instead of spending 3 or 4 grand buying and insuring a road bike this winter!

4. Scott

Scott Active Member

Iv done just the same mate. But now famcy a Harley

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yorkshire Tyke

ha, gaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!

• Like Like x 2
  6. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

Ha ha I told ya mate upgrade the R6 and we will
    Go do Michelin cup next year vroom vroom

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yorkshire Tyke

Yeah man needed to happen though otherwise I'd of bought a road bike!!

8. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

I get these feelings after being at a trackday.The thrill goes cos you can't do the breakneck speeds on these roads unless you want to lose your licence, life or bike.On top of that the roads are shite, theres cars buses and lorries to contend with.They are going very slow,the other way and don't see you.
    If I didn't go out on mine as much, what you have done sounds like a good idea.

9. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

You nee to get out 6 7am Sunday morning to have any fun on the road. Your own private race track then :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mad Matt

Mad Matt Absolutely Bonkers Mad...

I have to agree, thought i'd never say it...

Since returning from Silverstone I took the Blade out twice, once i planned a good ride out on a Sunday morning that should of taken 4/5 hours however i returned home after just an hour due to traffic and just not feeling it... Second time i took her out was to sell it back to a dealer......

There is just nothing that compares to riding on track, not saying that i will never ride on roads again but track days and racing is where my mind and money are...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Scott

Scott Active Member

Hahaha iv not got a beard or designer stubble lol

12. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

No fun on the road? Really????

;)

[​IMG]

Maybe try a different bike ;) this eats rush hour and don't mind a bit of off road action too when things heat up... lol

Tracks great but I ain't no millionaire and I like to ride EVERY day! :D

#12 arthurbikemad, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  13. exfire

exfire Elite Member

I can understand why many people enjoy the track and it makes sense in so many ways.

I love road riding, with all it's risks and downsides it gives me a buzz I just don't get riding on a track. Good job we are all different otherwise it would be nearly impossible to get on a track day :)

A lot of the roads I ride are very narrow and some not wide enough for two cars to pass each other, makes keeping a safe line some much fun ;)

14. Muffking

Muffking God Like

How about touring?
    I dont mean buy a tourer, but group rides are good. You wouldnt wanna miss another forum trip.

15. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

I used to think the same... Need that fix constantly...

But believe me... Mark knows how to try hard on a bike.... And my bet is he rides like that on the road and you soon realise its not a healthy hobby! ;)

We certainly ain't millionaires either....and like tyke racing has taken every spare penny I have, as well as a lot of time and focus.... But unless you've experienced what it's like to line up on a grid I don't think you'd ever appreciate it..... It's worth a 1000 Sunday ride outs.

I miss the crack with the boys and just catching up with friends, but we also have a blast at a race weekend. Consequently my r1 has been used 5 times this year.... 2 on track by Dave.

Tour aside I reckon ill do 10% of the road miles of last year....

Do I feel I've missed out. No way.... I'd give up my road bike to race tomorrow if I needed to.

• Like Like x 2
  16. arthurbikemad

@muffking:- I'd say do buy a tourer, see some of the sights even the UK has to offer, I have this TDM and love it!! More to biking than what some of us are lead to believe, sometimes just nice to go for an old fashioned ride on your bike.... slow up some time and enjoy life it goes by fast enough, visor up, wind in face, summer, love it.

Have a laugh at my much loved TDM

[​IMG]

17. arthurbikemad

Jimbo I know the score and I know what a MX grid feels like, its a rush for sure as is the club racing, I've been involved a little with the racing mate, even touching the BSB.

Fiar play for having a go, even that is not enough for some of my customers and they live to become the best of the best level they can. Then the real sacrifices come into play, house for sale and so on just to go racing.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Touching the bsb riding? Fair play either way mate....

I used to be the same, road was the focus... But been bitten hard and all I want to do is improve and catch the next guy. An expensive feeling lol....

Just feel I have a lifetime to ride on the roads but want to enjoy the racing while I can.... Who knows, maybe racing on the roads is the way forward lol

19. arthurbikemad

Id say so, try some TT or IRR, somemof my mates moved off the track and did just that, like I say life changing stuff, even give "life" for it.

My involvement even track side has been amazing, working with Francis Williamson for 2009 with the RC8 (BSB support races) cup and the many many club racers I prep and support bikes for over the last twenty years, I know why you all do it. Sadly my boat was missed but even now at 42 I plan to catch up on some track time too, its awesome and I know 100% why you all feel the way you do about the roads, road riding with traffic and laws is shit...but change bike..slow up...plenty of fun to be had and sometime so much so even the track seems bland....supermoto style I mean ;)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mad Matt

Mad Matt Absolutely Bonkers Mad...

Don't be saying that, I'm 43 this year but still believe i have 5/6 years of racing in front of me and i don't intend to be there just making up the numbers...

• Like Like x 2