What happened to Christmas ???

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by martinowen, Dec 14, 2012.

1. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't know if I'm just a miserable b@stard or if its just a case of getting old but I uses to really enjoy Christmas and look farward to it, now it's a time of year I just dread!
    Sooner it's over with the better

• Like Like x 2
  2. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

I think we just grew up, and it lost its innocence since we've had to pay for it ;)

3. lee711

lee711 Active Member

Wise words Gary, i have these memory's of christmas and they revolve around the years 76 to 82.... they've never smelt / tasted / sounded or looked the same since, and now my cynical mind tells me its just a financially motivated excuse to try and make you feel good.............. or i could just be a .. The_Grinch_by_InsAnnaty.jpg

4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I've given this some considerable thought over the years and all of the above are truly contributory to the ex-ing of Xmas, but the conclusion I'm leaning towards is that we no longer have the time to savour the Christmas spirit. When we were young and in school, the last three weeks before the event revolved purely around it. We neither toiled nor fretted to make it happen. We paid for none of it and organised even less. We just soaked up the celebration and the anticipation of the season from November until well into January.

See. Bloody youth is wasted on the young.

• Like Like x 2
  5. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

So what you are telling me in a very polite way is - I'm getting old

6. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

No mate, not at all. What I'm saying is the world got old around you. That's why you still want it to be what it was.

7. Billy Balthorpe

Billy Balthorpe Active Member

I hate the run up which starts on or about 1st September (or it seems to). Everyone desperately trying to use Christmas to make you buy stuff that you dont really need, and stuff you wont eat.
    My Christmas starts when i finish work for the holiday, we pack the kids in the car and bugger off to France where Christmas is a much more laid back affair, more family walks round the lake and mulled wine from a stall on the way into the village, than trying to party for a week coz "its Christmas".

Stuff to be watched on the TV over Christmas (we watch DVD's, coz we dont need the TV over there).
    Frank Capra's Its a Wonderful Life (must be watched after the kids have gone to bed and all the presents have been set out on Christmas eve)
    White Christmas, Must be watched on Christmas day.
    The Sound of Music, just so i can watch my wife and my 6yo daughter singing the songs and doing the dances, very funny!

8. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I've got a huuuge collection of Christmas movies. Some great, some not so, some just Christmassy on nostalgic grounds. But, on the whole, when its all weighed in the balance, I'd have to say that my favourite Christmas film of all time is...

Where Eagles Dare.

9. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I may enjoy if I had an Xmas holiday, unfortunately I get Xmas day off and then back to work, I suppose there are people out there that do work Xmas day also so I shouldn't complain.
    It could be the fact that at work we saw the first Easter eggs come through yesterday!

10. bardo 1962

bardo 1962 Member

Same here Martin, I work for Debenhams and we are already stocking up for Easter. Christmas for me starts in September and like people say its a bloody big rip off. I only get Christmas day off then back in work with a hang-over at 5 am on Boxing day.

11. gray

gray Active Member

I work away from home but have 18 days off for Xmas
    Love the time with my little girl

12. Givover

Givover God Like

I see where your coming from .I think the bit in the middle which is missing is that most people have to much money (or cards ) .Its now to easy to buy your kids the latest xbox or tv and this is pre ordered by them and the expectancy is there ''hence the spirt is lost'' .Same as the boxing day sales these now start in October so again nothing new.I do enjoy xmas but mainly for the break and time off Michael Jnr Clair and the young Mul are desending on us on xmas day and a leg of Lamb is ready to rumble so should be a nice day Hoping to get out on the bike on Boxing day fingers x Pleze.

13. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

I know what you mean like you say I think it's just getting older . Christmas isn't the same I think kids get too much through the year now we have struggled to get my 3 girls this year summat they haven't got . We still try to take them to Santa and the winter wonderland just to try and keep the excitement of Christmas going as I love it

14. Honda 1

Honda 1 Member

I really look forward to Christmas as i only have it every second year.
    Working offshore means one year on, one year off..............unfortunately this year i`m on :(

Came back to work 12th Dec and won`t be home until 9th Jan, tree up, lights up, decs up, prezzies done, cards sent and then board a plane and leave it all behind.

I agree with what`s being said, the spirit of Christmas is certainly lost of the vast majority of the population.
    Why is there a festive ailse in Tesco before we`ve even had Halloween or bonfire night ??? never used to be like that did it.............well not when i was lad.

Favourite for me is Christmas week, eve, day, boxing day...............and New Years eve of course.

Christmas in my opinion should not only be a time for giving, but also a time for reflection............put a bit of human spirit back into our far too hectic lives.
    Being away at this time of year makes you appreciate even more, your family and friends.
    As the old saying goes.....you never know what`s around the corner do you ?

Anyway, for those reading this thread i hope you have a very merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year, for those friends hoping to venture out on Boxing Day, i hope the weather holds and you have a great day.

Be safe.

Very best wishes

Cheers :)

Jon...........Gulf of Mexico USA.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I hate the Christmas presents being in shops in Sept, I hate the 2 months prior having adverts.

But for about 2 or 3 days I sort of enjoy it. Still working over it but hay ho.

As for new years unless I'm art a party it can go and sod it's self. Only good thing about it is that it will be spring soon and not long until Testing and racing starts in the March/April

16. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

When you say off do you mean Christmas day?

As I work 3in 5 christmas days, every Boxing day and every other news years day. other than the odd day off. I will be in on the 24th, 26- 28, 29th and 30 normal days off, then back in work for another 6 days, :(

17. bardo 1962

bardo 1962 Member

Your not wrong there Remal, the new year means we are closer to the new season again. Roll on March 2013!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Givover

Givover God Like

[​IMG][/IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. Honda 1

Honda 1 Member

No.............it means every second year i`m away in the middle of the ocean somewhere for the entire Christmas holidays.
    I work 7 days a week up to 14 hours a day for 5 weeks then travel home on leave.......Christmas is cancelled (apart from getting a turkey dinner on the 25th).
    That`s why i look forward to it when it comes around for me to be at home.

Cheers :)

20. ddc

ddc Member

Sympathise with you there fella , as I work offshore aswell but in the North sea. However I`m lucky in the respect that my line of work goes quieter this year and so I book 3 weeks off every december to have Christmas and New year at home. I have been away over Christmas a few times and did not like it at all so know how it feels mate ;)