What Headphones

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Givover, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Givover

Givover God Like

A slight departshire from Biking in the rain so here goe's .Last week i bought my Ipad and i decided to get some decent earphones although whats left of my ears is debatable.So i went for a set of B/W C3s which where about £160.00 so not cheap but not over priced .The quality is excellent and i was made up ,However after about half an hour the pads seem to be giving to much pressure on the ears so i decided to take them back and get a set of Bose which were a bit more expensive but felt nice to wear.But the master plan was thwarted by the dude i was talking to as he was also a sound engineer and he said that he would not buy any of the range on display and to consider a set of AKG K702 which they do not sell, but he said thats what he would do .So at about £260.00 a set i though bugger it i will have some so just come flying in looked at the reviews and its all good ...except they are classed as Open backed dynamic reference headphones which means that some noise can be heard by others (maybe) also what i have just learned is that good quality headphone need to be run in (or burned in ) for about 40 hours before the true sound can be heard Wtf ! Anyhow has any one got a set of these as i want them but as i got the Ipad to be down stairs in the comfort of the front room this will have a negitive Effect sat near Mrs M.

2. Si.

Si. God Like

Do you want in ear or outer ear phones?
    If you want outer ear phones mike, sack everything else off and get some Grado SR80's. These are better than the Stax SRS I had... As long as the head amp in the ipad drives them. All speaker drive units need running in electrically Mike, they do get better after 60 hours or so.

3. Givover

Givover God Like

Yup just outer ear headphones like them big old 80s leather jobs but with decent sound i will check out the Grado SR 80s but how do i know if the Ipad will run them (or will it burn the head amp out before its time ?

4. Si.

Si. God Like

Just had a look on the specs, and you'll be ok...the grados have a high sensitivity...

they really are stunning mike, and a bargain for the price. Definitely the best out there under £500 ( better than my Stax at 800 notes!) I've tried most of them lol.

5. Givover

Givover God Like

Its the under £500.00 that worrys me i could get an R1 for that sort of money.

6. Si.

Si. God Like

Lol...they are around £120 odd mate.

7. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

just an idea

8. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I have the bowers and Wilkins C5 and for small in the ear the quality of sound is amazing

9. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

how is the quality of these against the ultimate in ear mate? still not got mine and dying to know how good they are....

10. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

the Ultimate ear's are very very good but, you can't put them up against a high end manufacture like B&W.

they are as good as my £70-80 Shures indeed but that is only after a short time of trying the ultimate out. The main thing it missed for me in the bass the C5 can give which is amazing

|And I am glad I have them and would be more than happy to listen to music all say with the Ultimate ears

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

good to hear (no pun intended) didnt expect them to be as high quality but certainly better than average, it's more about comfort and blocking wind noise out with the ultimate's i was after. you tried them on the bike yet?

12. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Not yet bikes in bits at the moment

13. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

giv justin.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Si.

Si. God Like

hahahahaha!