Whats keeping the high street afloat

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Remal, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

With comet in trouble BBC News - Comet retailer close to administration, say reports

whats keeping the high street alive? the older generation?

I like to pop to the shops and buy my monthly mags from WH smiths. Get some pressys but now many seem to use online shops for many items including myself

What is keeping the high street alive

Just asking with the increase in people using online shopping? what do you buy at the shops ( not food) but pressy s for Christmas etc...

And your thoughts on this

2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Bit of an insensitive question for the shops on 5th Avenue Matt.

TAXI.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

My guess is it's mostly women and young lads who enjoy shopping. Remember that some people see it as a hobby.

4. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I enjoy shopping, if it's something I want or find interesting. not going Christmas shopping or such like.

5. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I enjoy 'soul' shopping. I only really do it for Jeanette's birthday or Christmas, but I do enjoy getting in the zone, wandering my way to the bottom end of town, formulating a plan and ideas on the way then working my way back to the top picking up what I need and ensuring that I reach the car when the load is heaviest, not halfway back. It's quite cathartic and I look forward to it, in a strange way.

6. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I generally hate shopping as I'm really not one for buying stuff. I kinda have this bee in my bonnet that people should be more than consumers and buy far too much crap that they really don't need. I really only find shopping even partially enjoyable when I go with the missus. She keeps me amused while I'm browsing stuff and trying to decide whether I really need it or not.

Apart from that I prefer buying stuff online. So much simpler and nice to have it delivered to your door.