Winch to load Motorcycle

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Singh1000RR, Feb 15, 2024.

1. Singh1000RR

Singh1000RR Active Member

Hi All, as title says - looking to purchase a winch to help load motorcycle into van.

I do a few track days a year and I always panic/struggle to get bike into van. Normally it ends up with two of us struggling to get it in.

Now I admit I'm a but of weakling as my main day to day job is office based and i don't work out. So lifting/pushing a 200Kg bike into a van is tricky. Unloading is not an issue!

Looking at a 12V winch to help pull motorcycle into van. I've seen one for £100 that can pull 600Kg - half that at a 40 degree incline and goes at a real slow pace - about 1.8m per minute.

The plan was to secure the winch quite high in the van and get someone to push the button so it can pull it up the ramp with me steering and helping to push. Once its in and level I can disconnect it from winch and push the rest of the way.

Winch would be connected to separate 12v battery.

What would be the best place to attach it to the bike? I was thinking of fashioning something to wrap around forks and then connect winch to that - or somewhere on frame (near the front).

Thoughts? I never got on with the clutch method to get it up ramp (if anyone suggest that!)

2. Saqib

Saqib Active Member

A short strap on both fork legs, and then hook the winch onto the strap so its pulling bike evenly. That would work.

This photo shows a similar strap.

upload_2024-2-15_16-30-17.png

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lee Fullarton

Lee Fullarton New Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Works for me, even with 2 bikes going in. My ramp does have a pin that locks it into the floor though to stop it being spat out :D

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  5. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

If the winch eliminated the second person to push the button, i would say It was probably worth while. But if it still takes two of you, you may as well just stick with a loading ramp and push it up as It takes less than I minute.

I must admit the 'engine running and clutch method' is something I've never tried but if you're confident and on your own then you have to do what you have to do!

In summary.....its probably overkill ;)

6. Jez

Jez Senior Member

some winches have a hand control that you might be able to manage whilst holding onto the bike

7. Broadie

Broadie Active Member

Could you pull the fuel pump fuse and use the starter.

8. Singh1000RR

Singh1000RR Active Member