Windows 8. Non bike related.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Garyb, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

I see Windows 8 is being released tomorrow, so who's upgrading? Is its worth upgrading from windows 7?
    Being a self confessed get by sort of guy, will there be any benefits/software for us technophobes to make our computer world any easier?

Over to you.

2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I've already got one irritatingly annoying, felt tip pen graphic user interface on my iPad, so although its wrong to judge a GUI by it's cover, I'm afraid when I saw how it looked I didn't bother to read the specs.

Windows tends to be like Star Trek films. Every other one is crap. 98 good, 2000 crap, xp good, Vista crap, 7 alright, 8........didn't read the specs. Sorry.

3. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I haven't heard any reviews or anything and I'll blatantly admit that I'm running a hooky copy of Windows 7 so I'd say it's unlikely.

My mate who built my gaming PC told me not to do any updates as they were completely unnecessary and he's been proven correct. I've not touched it and it's run flawlessly.

Unless Windows 8's a game changer I'll be leaving it untouched.

#3 BoroRich, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

oops, just re read your post Gaz. Technophobe? In that case the large friendly icons and all encompassing control freakishness of the new Apple, sorry Microsoft interface may be more to your liking. Personally, I think it's changed from the old Microsoft slogan of "Where do you want to go today" to "Where would you like me to take you today", but if you'd prefer a point and click environment then it's got a lot of similarities with the iPad/iPhone/iMac interface. But then so does the new Linux OS, Manky Roadkill, or whatever geek chic name they're calling this one.

• Like Like x 2
  5. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I personally have never hidden my distaste of Apple. I hate the whole cloud / iTunes thing. Once you're using their services, going anywhere else is a complete PIA. Right now, for example, wor lass wants a new phone and I was thinking of getting her one for Christmas. She's currently got an iPhone 3GS but she's frustrated by its seeming lack of interest in finding her a 3G signal and lack of storage. I've tried to persuade her to go to a Galaxy S2 but the thing that's stopping her is the fact that she's got over a thousand tracks on iTunes that she can't port over.

6. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Yeah, Ken I'm certainly a technophobe. I could read spec sheets facts figures all day. It wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. I still would not know what the hell it all means.
    The easier the better for me.
    My computers have a very easy life in comparison to some.
    Haha. Thinking about it. I haven't even burned a disc on my home pc yet.
    I did however use the disc drive to watch the DVD's Alan sent me for the Europe trip.
    There was still the clear plastic cover over the tray lol