Winter Gear.

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by ddc, Nov 21, 2012.

1. ddc

ddc Member

After being out today and almost froze into a block I think I`ll have to invest in some winter riding gear.
    Anyone got any recommendations as I don`t have a clue where to start looking tbh as I only really look at leathers etc.

Any help gladly appreciated ;)

2. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

Textiles with removable , washable liners mate. I wear thermal underwear as well. Heated grips or gloves also help a lot. Some wear heated vests as well.

• Like Like x 3
  3. eyore

eyore Member

Halvarssons make great gear at a mid range price, its Swedish made and good quality,that and decent thermal layers is all you need.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Its all about layers. I wear 2 base layers under my perforated leathers if off for a blast, but Hein Gericke textiles for a proper winter commute.

5. ddc

ddc Member

Thanks folks , I`ve never been into this `winter` riding lark before , I just always thought it the done thing to lay her up from sept to april ! lol
    However after being out today and thoroughly enjoying it albeit for 40 miles I`m going to go to town tomorrow to a few bike shops and see what gear they have to offer. So I`m looking forward to getting out again tomorrow (weather and new winter gear permitting) :)

6. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Goretex!

7. stone-islandv8

stone-islandv8 New Member

Furygan textile stuff is proving completely toastie and waterproof in this weather.

8. ddc

ddc Member

Didn`t go to town today but had a trawl about on ebay and there are a few bargains to be had.
    Quite likeing the RST alpha 11 stuff and as I already use the RST leather I know it will be comfortable :)

9. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

I've just bought some Rukka trousers and a Belstaff jacket . Add them kiddies to my Gerbing heated gloves and jacket liner
    and I will need to park up occasionally to cool down :p

• Like Like x 1
  10. stone-islandv8

stone-islandv8 New Member

Never had RST leathers but I did pick up a pair of RST textile trousers last winter, wore them three times and one knee guard dropped and couldn't be got at to reposition so when you sat on a bike it pushed up into my kneecap....and they leaked at the crotch. Might have been a dodgy pair. The new Rev-It Goretex stuff at work seems to be reasonably priced and is getting good reviews.

11. ddc

ddc Member

LIke you say may have been a dodgy pair. My rst leathers are excellent and so comfy. I`ll have a look at that rev it stuff though.
    Thanks ;)

12. lambeth longshanks

lambeth longshanks Active Member

Another vote for the Halvarssons clobber. I have the Mayham jacket and Zen trousers. The Zen trousers are really good cos as well as being irritatingly good looking I am quite tall and the Zens come in a decent range of sizes. I think the prices are reasonable and they haven't leaked in the two years I've had them and they've lasted well. I wash them in Nikwax cleaner and then tosh them up with Fabsil Gold and the water beads a treat off them. Top kit. The new version of the Mayham seems to be the Proximo.

#12 lambeth longshanks, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  13. ddc

ddc Member

Had planned to go for a look today but ... Bike shop closed on a Sunday :/
    So tomrrow it is then :D

14. rewy..rr

rewy..rr Active Member

Just got back from Sunday morning blast....its a bit chilly today, but I wear thermal t shirt, leathers and paddock jacket, but BEST bit of kit is keis electic inner gloves, worn under normal winter gloves

They are a brilliant bit of kit, much easier to install then heated grips, just connect lead to battery, take the wiring through your lacket, down sleeves and plug in, I bought them last year and I think they were about £50.

They are brilliant

15. Sulby140

Sulby140 Active Member

Normally wear leathers and Weiss 2 piece suit if it rains,wet IOM this year and a storm all the way south from Liverpool , no leaks mine or sons, impressed so bought their X Blade II jacket and trousers for the winter, toasty so far and no leaks. Just need to get some of those wimpy heated grips and jobs a good un......Mike

16. rewy..rr

rewy..rr Active Member

Dont bother with wimpy heated grips, a lot of fuss and bother to fit, plus in you leave them on by accident they will drain the battery very quick. Keiss heated inner gloves are a lot easier

17. Hudson

Hudson Active Member

All my gear is Rev'it, i love it. It comes in all different leg length's (unlike a lot of others), and it just seems to be easy to get the right sized kit. I have the Cayanne Pro jacket and other various bit of kit, it is well made and reasonalbly priced.... its not cheap, but as we all know you get what you pay for, and i have purchased cheap stuff in the past and just wasted my money, i don't do cheap anymore.

18. JM1

JM1 Active Member

lol. All you need to do is wire them so they only come on with ignition.

• Like Like x 1
  19. KRL

KRL Active Member

As has beensaid, it's all about layers aand decent overgarments. I personally use cordura in the winter if I go out with some good thermals etc. M&S work just fine. Good bootsandgloves are very important though.

20. eyore

eyore Member

Well I rode 280 miles last sunday and 280 miles home on monday with temperatures not above 3 deg C, that was cold.:eek: Wore Helly Hansen thermal leggings,Aldi thermal top,and Aldi ski socks,leather trousers,ordinary long sleeve t shirt,Keis heated waistcoat, Sidi goretex Boots,Halvarssons textile 3 layer jacket, and Alpinestars 365 goretex gloves and heathed grips. The combo worked a treat.:) .