worst xmas present sent or received?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by r1monkey, Dec 8, 2016.

1. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

At this joyous time of year ,some of us look forward to getting that special little thing from under the christmas tree .
    You know .. the present that you have picked up and shaken to try guess what is inside to no avail.
    Only to open it on christmas day and think .... Why on earth would anyone think i would want one of those ?
    My wife has a knack of guessing everything i put under the tree ,or mess it up by saying ,"i am just going out to buy a ...." which just so happens to be the present i have bought for her.
    So to make sure has a surprise on xmas morning ,i have in the past bought her a car foot pump .And as she once said just get me something to take on holiday, she just couldn't hide that face that says w.t.f when she opened a nice new travel iron on xmas morning.
    So what is the pressie you gave or received that got the w.t.f reaction (or started divorce proceedings?)

#1 r1monkey, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I once bought the wife a freezer for Xmas.

She loved it. Although it was a surprise, she had mentioned to me earlier in the year that she'd love to have an extra one in the garage so she could shop less frequently. So I bought it, secretly had it delivered, even wrapped it, hidden in the shed. She was over the moon.

However...

Absolutely everybody else gave, and still do, me so much stick for buying such a chauvinistic, misogynistic, thoughtless present. Despite me getting her exactly what she wanted and executed the surprise perfectly.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Without trying to sound hard done-by. I don't think I've had a decent Christmas present since I was 12.

The sole exception was the year a ex girlfriend bought me a PS4. Aside from that it's just been a total disappointment for the thick end of 30 years.

The worst present I ever gave was the year I bought my brother a corkscrew. It was last minute and I realised I hadn't got him anything. I wouldn't care but it wasn't even a particularly fancy one. I was cringing as he was unwrapping it.

I think it's left me with a fear of present giving that survives to this day. It's the missus' birthday today and I was having a minor panic attack when I was wrapping her gift last night.

4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Rich, any woman would be over the moon with half a pound of sausages... Relax, mate. You're over thinking it...

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

The worst I've received was a rather large bronze statue of a service dog & handler from my mother! The dog wasn't too bad but the handler looked like it'd been caste by someone on their 10th bottle of White Lightning...it was truly hideous. They were round at mine on Xmas day when I opened it & I was so stunned I couldn't even feign joy....I could see my other half at the time Owen, trying not to laugh as my mother's glare started skewering me across the room...
    "Well....YOU don't look very happy!! What's wrong with it! THAT cost me a lot of money!! blah blah...Owen said you'd love it!! "
    "Did he mother, did he really...how nice of himo_O
    Suffice to say I kicked him into touch the following year but the bloody statue haunted me for years as I had to get it out of hiding & pop it on the shelf every time my mother came around ( along with the 3D picture of the runway at Maderia airport that lit up :eek:..another fine present she bought me )

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Both truly awful presents, but dumping your old man on the strength of it..? Hardcore...

7. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

i got this from my stepmother as she knows i have a motorbike. I am not really sure what it is .It looks like an ashtray but it is made from cardboard and i don't smoke . My wife keeps getting head scarves from her for some reason ,which is a mystery as my missus has never worn any type of headscarf or hat in all the time i have known her .She is a ginner though so that might be the reasoning.

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Class that...

9. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

It may seem a tad harsh Ken, but I firmly believe men are like cars....
    They need changing every few years for a younger model before they start leaking & leaving a mess everywhere :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Firm but fair.

12. andreww

andreww Active Member

I bought my Mrs a ironing board cover last year

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

i see nothing wrong at all with that andrew

• Like Like x 1
  14. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I just bought Mrs Kpone a great present. A set of those shopping bags that hang across the shopping trolley so yo can fill them up as you go and transfer them straight to the boot of your car. She's always moaning about having to pack and unpack bags whilst negotiating Sainsbury's when she's doing the big shop, so this will make her life so much easier and speed the process up somewhat so she can get home quicker where I might be in need of a bacon sandwich or, perchance, a rebeer. So it's for both of us really...

Don't any of you feckers tell her though. I want to see the surprise on her face when she opens it.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

see if you can capture it on video. i am sure we would all like to see the look of love as she opens it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I think you might be needing this in the new year, Ken.

https://uk.match.com/

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

When we put an offer in on our first house and Helen was dreaming up all the nice things she wanted to put in it she kept going on about soft close toilet seats.

Well while we were waiting for the the contracts too exchange etc she had her birthday so guess what I bought her :D
    She pretended not to be disappointed right up until 11pm when I gave her a proper present.

£55 quid for a joke present wasn't the best idea I ever had though!

19. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

So the seat wasn't the proper present...?

Any decent person would have been made up with a fire and forget top gift like that.

20. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

How do we hear that the blokes put the seat down tho when they're soft close? Sounds like another cunning invention invented by a man to thwart us to me o_O