Would ABS removal be an MOT failure

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Shrappers, Jul 4, 2024.

1. Shrappers

Shrappers Active Member

Hi all,

I'm fed up with the ABS on my 2016 SP constantly changing the feel of the lever. Sometimes it's rock solid and sometimes, particularly if I slowly and gently apply the brake it almost goes back to the grip. It always stops when I want it to but it just gives me no confidence. I have carried out an ABS bleed which helped but it has never felt consistent.

From what I understand I can:
    1. live with it
    2. Spend ££££s and hours of time replacing components to try and resolve a possibly unresolvable issue.
    3. Remove the ABS and throw it in the bin.
    4. Sell the bike

Firstly, if there is a 5th option that any one knows of it would be great to hear it but failing that i'm leaning towards removing the ABS. From a technical point of view I'm happy with how to do it but does anyone know if it will fail an MOT if I do remove the ABS? Also am I going to destroy the resell price if I do?

I might well forgive the bike after the next great ride but right now i'm considering selling it a moving on.

Thanks,

Paul

2. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I've just had all the abs removed off my 16 sp. It would only affect the mot if the abs is still on it and not working properly.
    As far as resale value goes, I suspect most folks know by now what a shit system it is and would prefer to buy it as non abs providing its been removed properly/professionally

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Don't bother replacing components option. I read once where a guy in the states had tried that and it'd made no difference to the issues.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Shrappers

Shrappers Active Member

Thanks, did you have all the wiring removed as well? I don't fancy picking all that out. Was just thinking the ABS modules/pumps/ecu/ring/sensors then fit some sensible brake lines.

5. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Yes I had it all out and then new lines fitted. But I think some folks have only removed what you've mentioned.

20240627_153051.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nigel H

Nigel H Active Member

Removed only the vitals. New hoses so the cylinders direct drive the brakes. Jumper to remove the light.
    Passed MOT twice now.

Really must get round to taking all the big bits off.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Shrappers

Shrappers Active Member

Wow that looks like a lot of weight. Think i've just picked my new winter project.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Sometimes wish I’d done this with my Repsol but I love the black edition and the level of anonymity it provides. Out of curiosity how much did getting this done by your garage cost @Lozzy?

#8 Boothman, Jul 5, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2024
  9. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

It was 6hrs work to get it all out. Fit new lines etc. Fit gb engine protectors and radiator guard. And also give a good check over whilst everything off. There were a few bolts, screws missing etc but apart from that it was spot on, so peace of mind that nothing bad lurking that you can get with 2nd hand bikes. £500 in total.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Well worth it @Lozzy - thanks for sharing

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. bazzer107

bazzer107 Active Member

12. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

any warnig light is an mot failure (technically)
    MOT checks for braking efficiency and doesn't care for abs operation

13. Nigel H

Nigel H Active Member

It's on the wiring diagram running from the ABS ECU to the screen display called ABS and Orange/Green
    I picked it up at the ECU. Just connect it to ground and that registers as 'OK' so the light stays off.
    I think there is a connector under the fairing near to your left knee but I couldn't ID it and I had the backend
    all over the floor so that was easier at the time to just crimp into the cable there.

#13 Nigel H, Aug 8, 2024
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2024
  14. Kevin q

Kevin q New Member

I came from the USA forum to this one because many of you were having the same issues that I did with the abs on my 09. Did't seem worth it trying to solve the issue. I currently have the abs fuse pulled. Still have the light on my dash but im actually confident in the brakes now. My winter project is to go in and take the bike apart and remove all of the abs system and jump the light at the dash so i can get rid of the ABS light on my dash.