Would you buy part worn/ Scrub tyres

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Remal, May 4, 2011.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Ok i'm still looking for the best price on tyres, what to get etc.... but when on Ebay and they had some Dunlop GP 211 NTEC I also seen Scrub tyres.

Ok a few questions, Why are Trackdayers/Racers selling tyres which have 2-4mm of life left in them?

Why not use for another weekend?

Would these tyres be any good for the road?

Or will they have the life ripped out of them after racing/trackdays?

Just thought I would ask

2. slowr1der

slowr1der Active Member

Loads of my mates use scrubs bought from the bay and I have also bought some from members of other forums. Never had any issues with them.

Personally I would use scrubs for road and track, why not

3. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Im not sure about tyre garadges in your area but where i live we have a nightmare finding someone willing to fit tyres that are not purchased from them. They dont seem to see it worth while for 20 odd bucks

If you can get them fitted go for it

4. viper_biker

viper_biker Active Member

All I ever fit are scrubs. Usually loads of road miles left in the and I get them for really good prices as I buy them from mates who race.

PS, Bridgestone R10R's are the only sticky tyres to fit at the minute.

5. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

Me too! I've had two pairs of 4 lap Racetecs for £80 a pair and a pair of Michelin Pilot Roads for £44 off eBay. Don't have to scrub em in???

6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I posted this on a few other forums and got a similar reply. I have contacted a mate about getting some scrubs. cheers for the feedback all

7. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

Personally I wouldn't fit them but I always sell on my scrubs and if I thought they were dodgey I wouldnt

For me it seems a bit pointless spending 2 grand on suspension just to skimp on rubber

Alot of people run nothing but scrubs so there isn't a problem as long as they are as described.

8. dan.1moore1

If only i could find someone to fit them. Im paying alot for new rubber coz no tyre garage can be arsed to fit them if not purchased from them

9. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

I buy mine at race meetings and usually the Pirelli guys will fit em for free!!!

10. viper_biker

viper_biker Active Member

I don't really see it as skimping. I'm never going to use a tyre to the edge on the road, plus, with the bike being my only move of transport £240 every 2 months is a lot of money to spend per year so at £60 a set of tyres, I've never had an issue in the last 6 years of using them.

11. dan.1moore1

Who can argue with 60 bucks ? Most people piss that up the wall on a saturday night. If i could get my hands on a set i would jump at it. unfortunatly im stuck paying 220 - 240..

12. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

not knocking it

if your happy fitting used tyres thats fine with me. like i said i sell my scrubs all the time so the more people who want them the better

im not a usually a road rider so always use fresh tyres and would never use scrubs but like i said im usually trackday/club racing. on the road its probably not as much as an issue.

as soon as the tyre loses its profile or has had a load of heat cycles through it i swap it. for me a worn tyre ruins a bike so its not for me but like i say each to their own.