Would you buy........

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Repsol Rob, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Repsol Rob

Repsol Rob Elite Member

A bike that has been re framed......???

As a few of the longest serving members may recall......I originally joined this forum in my quest to help re build my lovely 11 plate (from new) bike took a small slide at Silverstone in 2011....... my bad luck was as she went down on the right hand side the bar end snapped and put a small tear in the frame (yes technically a write off.......anyhow after much deliberation.... (ok I will admit some not quiet legal thoughts entered my head ;))...... anyhow I decided to repair.......
    With a new frame (a very good friend of a friend got me through a race team)......fairing replacements was from mark aka Yorkshire Gooner (before he joined the forum)..... and being introduced to a good local mechanic (ex Honda) who was just setting up his own business and wanted some new work....... the repairs from memory were in the region of around 3k....... I had the frame number etched with a CNC engineering business ok the numbers don't match the unique style of Honda.... however they do look factory finished.....so ok before anyone says "Sounds Dodgy"......I assure you it aint !!

Bike was bought from George Whites......and has been serviced with local dealership........ I haven't done that many road miles as work commitments have been heavy....and any spare time has been track days on a second older RR8 I bought with intent to track....(My current TT blade)...

I ve decided to sell and want to know what feedback I get from here.... (no insults or jokes please).......yes she ll have to go a bit cheaper than maybe a priced same yr model......or do I track her and put the 2008 back in road trim...... ??

I must also thank many of our forum boys for all the help and advice I received.....and a special mention to "abv" who at the time was buying a new blade which was being offered with sports pack for £550 ish..... I forwarded payment to enable ownership of new replacement akro (800 plus) ?? new ?? at the time if I recall ??

she's now out of warranty unless recalled for worldwide issues.......and you would not tell by riding or inspecting that she had any repairs..... I intend to sell honestly as I can......but like all blades out there.....she's one hell of a ride !

Thoughts please.....

She is in immaculate showroom condition if anyone is partly interested.......plus I have fully documented re build with pics receipts etc.......

#1 Repsol Rob, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. A Squids Life

A Squids Life New Member

Personally i would not buy a bike with incident damage even if the owner was as upfront as you are about it. Its one of those things for me that i would wonder if everything is put back correctly, what clips are broken or missing. What if this, what if that.
    Others might not care if the price is right.

3. Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke Elite Member

I think it depends on the rider. If its being bimbled about a bit on weekends its completely different to being ragged around a track under higher stresses.

4. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

Rebuild the '08 and track the '11 blade.
    You will get more for the 08 bike in road trim than selling the '11 with history as damaged repaired I'd think

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

With skippy on this one rob.

Swap it all over and keep the frame damaged one as track bike.... Doesn't matter then, and won't affect resale too much as people understand that a track bike might have had a few battle scars.

Tbh, if your going to do lots more track days, it might pick up a couple more!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

Agree with skippy rebuild the 08, track the 11

Although I would not be bothered if the price was right ... But that would be track bike money for what would be a track bike IMO

Trouble is the market is flooded with good value 08-11 blades you can be fussy :(

Saying all that I bet your rebuilt one is better than most other bikes of the age ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Andy

Andy Active Member

Also a agree with Skippy, personally I wouldn't knowingly touch a bike thats been in a accident of that kind

+1 rebuild the 08 & track the 11

8. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

I think the 08 allways go for a little less because of the "oil" issue, puts buyers off. I think take the hit on the 11 bike and sell it being as honest as possible, prob 800 or so less that other clean original 11's..

Or break the 11? Would get good money back for it that way I'm sure..

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Mate, I would sell as is, you are being upfront and there will always be someone out there with their name on it.

Like most things automotive, it will not be worth as much as an 'identical' bike without the history, so you have to determine its value to you, as I am sure you will be aware, may be very different to a prospective purchasers value, who will use the history as a bargaining point.

Bearing in mind that many used purchases both from dealers and private are made in good faith, and unless the registers show different as in Cat write offs, we have very little real knowledge of what we are buying.

In my world of bike ownership, this would be right up my street I was looking for a Blade at this time, because by the time I am finished with them, a replaced frame would be the least of my issues when trying to sell, its never that easy to shift an 80K superbike at the best of times, so the frame would not make a jot of difference.

If It does not sell or does not meet your valuation, then the fall back is the 08 bike back to road trim.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Think it would largely depend on the price tbh mate, as said the markets flooded with nice blades at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Repsol Rob

Repsol Rob Elite Member

Thanks all for comments.....pretty much what I would say or do........off to the knackers yard then.....!! :(