I'm Worried About Missing Out.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by kpone, Sep 24, 2011.

1. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I was a bit upset about missing out on the recent group buy for a gear position indicator. There were several reasons for missing out. I was skint, the model in question doesn't fit my bike, but mainly because Mrs Ken said 'no'.

This morning I realised that as a skilled technician there is no reason for me to miss out and I retired to the workshop.

Several hours later I have a prototype that I have high hopes for.

As you can see, the main body of the device consists of a piece of White, wipe clean plastic card, clothes pegged to the clutch cable, providing infinite positioning possibilities. The card is clearly marked with numbers from 1 to 6, representing each of the ratios available. Taped to the rail of the windscreen just above the 'gear indicator' is a chinagraph pencil on a length of garden twine.

The methodology is that each time you shift up a gear, you take the pencil and cross off the corresponding number to the new gear that you have selected.

Pegged to the front brake reservoir mount opposite the 'gear indicator' is a small micro fibre cloth, with which you can rub off the pencil mark from each number as you shift down through the box.

Please note that to the left of the 'gear indicator', masking taped to the inside of the windscreen is a self adhesive, battery operated triple LED lamp that will keep the 'gear indicator illuminated at all times of the day, a vital safety feature. I've used tape because I dropped the lamp after peeling the backing paper off the lamp during mounting and it got covered in crap so it wouldn't stick. This will be addressed during developement.

Also with the mark 2 I am planning to utilise same colour clothes pegs for a cleaner, sexier look and a range of different coloured gels for the lamp so that everybody's taste can be catered to. This is currently in pre production until Mrs Ken finishes the necessary Quality Streets.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  2. Jamz

Jamz Active Member

Lol...cool

let me know if you plan to sell this excellent piece of work

• Like Like x 1
  3. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I may need somebody to hold my hand on Dragons den, if you're up for it, Jamz?

4. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

Group buy? :D

5. Jamz

Jamz Active Member

Yea no worries..We need a serious chat before hand though cuz they will be fighting over this im sure...I say Duncan and the new bird that looks a bit like Zelda from the terrorhawks

6. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

Careful matey, you're showing your age there! Perhaps they sit down at the end of each episode to play a game of noughts and crosses? :)

7. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

No s**t. When I first saw her I thought it was a new series of 'Harry & Paul'

8. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

That's a very neat and tidy install i'd be all over this if I didn't already have the digital one fitted to my bike!

9. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been thinking of using some of the spare white cards and clothes pegs to make up some Clicketty Clackers for the back wheel, at least until I can afford Yoshi.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

I've just had a thought bugger it i'll list the digi one on ebay, how much are you planning on knocking these out for and can you do the micro fiber cloth in custom colours as I quite fancy a pink one!!

11. Jamz

Jamz Active Member

I like it..

Sry for the hijack but i cant help thinking
    [​IMG]

=

[​IMG]

#11 Jamz, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  12. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Ha, that's brilliant. It's like a mirror.

Andrew. I've only got White cloths for the moment, but I've got Red, Blue, Orange and Black felt tips so after my tea I'm going to have a go at HRC and Repsol colouring in. I'll keep you in the loop.

13. Givover

Givover God Like

14. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

I'll go with a blue felt tip but if i'm paying top dollar for the latest tech gadgets, I must insist on the pink microfiber cloth.
    If you can't for-fill my order i'll just have to buy a chinese copy on ebay in a few months time!!!

15. Jamz

Jamz Active Member

Kpone.. with that kind of skill you may want to try your hand at designing a new dash?

16. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm on it in the morning,it'snearlymy bed time now.

17. djfleming22

djfleming22 Active Member

I would not be waiting about for a call from one of the folks from the Dragons Den ..... its like your school report card........ remember could do better

18. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Good effort Ken Lol

19. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

No, honestly DJ, I couldn't.

20. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

That used to scare me s***less as a youngster.