LED Headlamps

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by mikesouthby, Apr 11, 2015.

1. ray

ray Well-Known Member

The first set of H7's says these ones are designed for vehicles that are not fitted with xenon headlights as standard. But they don't say whether they are suitable for reflector or projector style headlights?

2. mikesouthby

mikesouthby Active Member

OK. Update.

I have taken the plunge and ordered a set but a different set to the ones I originally mentioned, actually the ones I have ordered are very similar to the ones in the reply above. Link to the ones I have ordered here. The amount of Lumens is lower at 2500 per lamp, but, with the design of the copper belt heat sink I am confident I should be able to fit them behind the lamp enclosure. I have paid for expedited delivery and total cost was still less than £50.

Will post some pictures once they arrive and let you know what I think. Fingers crossed.

#22 mikesouthby, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  3. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

These look very similar to the Philips ones but lot cheaper,should be easier to fit. Very interested to see these on your bike,a few photos of the beam pattern at night would be most appreciated.

4. mikesouthby

Will do.

I'll see if I can get some decent shots during installation and the beam pattern thereafter.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

I'll be interested to see how these work out, for both ease of installation and how they perform compared to a normal bulb. Keep us posted with lots of pics and info! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 58clowns

58clowns Active Member

I bought a pair off ebay from hong kong or china... cheap as chips and no hassle fitting

theres a picture on the "what did you do to your bike today" thread somewhere around Christmas time

7. ray

ray Well-Known Member

8. SteB

SteB Member

I put LED bulbs in mine not long after getting it. I then had the unfortunate experience of a punture 80 miles or so from home in winter. Plugged the tyre and set of back home at a steady 50mph. It went dark and I couldn't see f*ck all. I stopped and waited for a car to pass and tailed him. Even with the Full beam on I still couldn't see anything.

Needless to say the LED bulbs have gone in favour of 100W 10,000kelvin rally car bulbs to match the whiteness of the miror LEDs). They light up the road like HIDs and I've never been flashed because the projection is as Honda intended. Even passed the MOT with them in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

I bought one of these for my bandit a few years ago,looked good stood 10 feet in front of the bike,but riding on unlit roads was not a clever idea. I'd imagine these fitted to a fireblade in the same situation would be fkin suicide:rolleyes:

10. mikesouthby

Be interested to see what they are like when they arrive. They may be rubbish and I'll be the first to admit to that if they are. But, I took a punt as LED technology has evolved so much over the last year or so, who'd have though a year or two back that you're average family motor would be available with full LED headlamps? Come to think about it, my first iPhone when they launched was pretty crap but I love my iPhone 6!

Out of interest, do you have details of the ones you bought? I hope things have improved since you purchased but maybe you're right, I realise they might be a waste of money but thought unless I tried, I'd never know :)

11. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

The one I purchased looked exactly like the ones 58clowns has with all the little light chips all over them,that's why I'm so sceptical about upgrade led bulbs. But I do accept that things have moved on over the last few years and the ones we've been talking about have the larger higher output Cree chips which give out an amazing amount of light.
    My benchmark is my Philips Xtreme Vision which are excellent,if they're as good as or better then I'd prob go for it.

12. Mickydove

Mickydove Active Member

Made an enquiry yesterday about the Phillips set and here's the reply.

Thank you for the email. These are suitable for both applications. Please see the links below of the exact kit fitted to our customer vehicles: -
    Projector
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.655585637902673.1073741864.122106467917262&type=3
    Reflector
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.663504683777435.1073741868.122106467917262&type=3
    These are also deigned with motorcycle customers in mind as they are an easier fitment, a lot smaller in design and allow you to shape the copper belts to your own needs so you can have an OEM like install.
    I hope that helps.

Best Regards,
    Zain. (Horizon LEDs)

13. ray

ray Well-Known Member

Lol, I made an enquiry about the first set of H7's they have listed on their website, and I'm still waiting for a response.

14. mikesouthby

I had notification that mine shipped last night, I paid extra for express courier so Mr DHL is currently flying them across the big pond to me, delivery estimate is Thursday this week which would be good. Assuming they do come on time as promised, I have already decided Saturday is a workshop day so I will of course document and let you all know the outcome with plenty of photos to help you decide if you are considering going down a similar route.

15. Corki

Corki Active Member

These look interesting, any chance you can link the 100W 10,000kelvin rally car bulbs you used.

16. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

I've heard bad things about 80W+ bulbs regarding their affect on the electrical system and any plastic that's in close proximity....

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mikesouthby

Well the nice people at DHL have just emailed me to say that I have a package waiting for me in the office, not bad considering it only left Hong Kong on Wednesday evening. So, I think a bimble to the office this evening might be in order to collect.

Expect photos and some thoughts over the coming days :)

• Like Like x 4
  18. mikesouthby

First impressions are the the lamps look to be a decent quality and feel substantial in hand. I have attached some photos of the lamps as I have literally just taken them out of the box. Hopefully, I may have some time later this evening to mount the dipped beam without the lamp holder cover to see if a) they work and b) they emit the amount of light I am hoping for. Otherwise it may have to wait until tomorrow.

IMG_2826.jpg IMG_2827.jpg IMG_2828.jpg IMG_2829.jpg IMG_2832.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  19. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Should be interesting

20. mikesouthby

Update.

So I have just been out to the garage and offered up one of the LED bulbs to the dipped beam enclosure, re-fitted the retaining clip and fired her up. I am not an expert but it certainly looks a lot brighter. I have taken some photos with my iPhone so the quality isn't all that great, especially as I turned the light off in the garage for testing, they definitely look much brighter in real life.

Here's a photo of the original halogen lamp fitted (full beam was on as well which I didn't notice but wasn't going to strip the LED lamp out again to re-compare without it):

IMG_2833.jpg

And now with the new LED bulb fitted:

IMG_2846.jpg

And with the full beam on as well for colour comparison:

IMG_2847.jpg

And from outside:

IMG_2848.jpg

And from above, again showing comparison with the OEM halogen fitted to the full beam enclosure:

IMG_2850.jpg

As you can see, colour and output does look to be brighter than OEM halogen lamps although I haven't of course ridden with the LED as yet, I'll need to fit them properly before I can do that.

Unfortunately I doubt I will get time this weekend to fit them properly so it may have to wait until next as in order to route the cables neatly and hide the LED controller pack, the front end is going to need to be dismantled a bit, plus I'll need some daylight. The overall size of the controller is smaller then HID packs so I don't see it being a major headache.

So far, so good.

• Like Like x 5