Thoughts on this weeks M.C.N tyre reviews ?

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Stevie_d, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Sports first then touring etc . Quite surprised my pp3 were rated so bad

2. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

3. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

4. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

5. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Yep read it...interesting because I've used pp3 & Sportsm 2 for a few years on the blade & great thru summer & winter + mileage. Metz on the bmw & superb grip but don't get as much mileage.
    Tbh I think it's prob just personal preference because we'll never push them to the limit unless you're Rossi...Marquez or Mad Matt bow.gif

;)

7. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I reckon in the grand scheme of things that all of those tyres are batter than most of us, especially for the road.
    Strangely though my PR4's rated last and have coped with both extremes. They have taken a pounding on track and ridden through huge puddles on roads with no signs of the bike going light. I'll take their 6th place as I know they work :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Like said it's personal preference and what ever gives you that warm fuzzy feeling. Bike I like Bridgestone, cycles I like Continentals, cars I like cheap as have a crap one ;) , but I like Goodyear and Continentals when I have something half decent. I am tempted by some Metzlers next but time will tell.

I don't touch Michelin after a bad one on a car years ago when it almost disintegrated after 2,000 miles. Then my first 600 had a set of Michelins and I hated them as they felt twitchy and gave me no confidence.

Maybe I was unlucky but it was enough to put me off them permanently, enough so I nearly walked away from a dealer after they refused to put new Bridgestones on a bike as opposed to the Michelins they wanted on there.

Others on here love the PRs but they aren't for me. Don't believe I got all this way without mentioning the fugly tread pattern on them as well :). Shallow maybe, but it's my personal preference.

9. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Page 68 of the Bridgestone T30 Evo:

"Although slow to warm up,...."

Page 62 :

"quick to warm up......."

It is hard to put your finger on, but the language used in support of the Metzeler is childishly over enthusiastic in their praise:

"The Z8 made an immediate impression and turned the BMW from a neutral-handling RS to a sporty S1000RR,..."

To me the scores and comments appear ridiculous, when made about some of the latest generation of Bridgestone, Dunlop and Michelins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Carlo

Carlo Active Member

I personally found the power 3s to be rock hard after using pirellis on the road and track. On the road im having to run the rear when its warm outside at 30 psi to get me some grip the slides are quite large on the road which at times can concern me and on track they slowed me right down because of there lack of grip at the rear, I think there a good tyre if you are not pushing it but there bridge stone levels of solid on the bike ill be binning them when the rear finally dies

11. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I wonder if Metzeler has had a lot of advertising with MCN recently ?

Just saying like...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Downvote Downvote x 1
  12. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Other Rags have listed the Dunlop Sportsmart 2 as one of the best Sports Touring Tyres out there?
    I have these on the Gixer 1000 Road Bike and think they're spot on.

Yet this test has them in the Sports Catagory in position 5?

13. murraymint

murraymint New Member

I think they said on the YouTube channel the test was run by metzeler

14. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

I've run the Metzler M7's, Pilot Power 3's and now the Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3...

There is sod all in it ... The PP3's also warm up just fine... On track they can get a bit greasy.

A lot of info there that doesn't match my experiences of those tyres at all.

MCN init ... ;)

15. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Curious that a couple of tyres are stated as sports yet most know them as sports touring

And no diablo rosso corsa's in the test which surprised me

16. lexathon

lexathon Active Member

I'd take all tyre reviews with a great big pinch of salt.

I find all tyres are generally brilliant for the first 500 miles (with obvious variance in stickiness on sports / touring tyres).

The true test is how they perform after that. How they wear according to your riding.
    The stickiness in the dry vs performance in the wet.
    How long you expect them to last and what sacrifice in stickiness you're willing to make for them to last a long time.

No one tyre can tick every box for every rider, so all you can do is try and weigh up what your priorities are.

These mcn reviews are only really useful if you can afford to change your tyres every time you go out... Most of us can't!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

They've used the brand new Diablo Rosso 3 which is sports road / track rubber.

18. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Roso 3 is just a road tyre, DRC is road and track! Straight from the horses mouth

image.png
    image.png

19. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

Depends how you define a sports tyre?

The reviews concentrate on sports and touring tyres for the road, nothing is mentioned about track rubber at all.

When it comes down to it the Metzler M7RR is also a road sports tyre ... As are the others. Regardless there are no issues using such rubber on track...

However if they were comparing hyper sports tyres, it would a different matter.

20. RepsolPaul

RepsolPaul Well-Known Member

That's the same way I judge wives !!!

• Funny Funny x 2