2014 blade ?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by wedgiewolves#223, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Used to hear that a lot at Nokia when I worked there........

2. phantom

phantom Active Member

who?

3. navvy10

navvy10 Well-Known Member

2014 Honda Fireblade

4th Nov 2013 | 17:31

Updated Fireblade and a track-focused SP version launched at Milan show – but no V4, yet.

On its 21st birthday, Honda’s Fireblade gets some very minor upgrades for 2014 but still no sign of the much-awaited V4 motor. While the crux of the bike remains the same, the 999cc lump gets some ‘extensive’ cylinder head work to improve gas flow, and equates to 2-3bhp at peak and a bulkier midrange. The valve seats have also been redesigned: pinched from Ten Kate’s work in WSB. Also refined is Honda’s Programmed Dual Sequential Fuel Injection system. There’s still no HRC traction control loveliness for 2014 but the Fireblade has always bragged sublime mechanical grip, and the remapping should further enhance this.

Taking guidance from ‘Blade owners, the riding position has also been changed. The pegs are 10mm further back and the ‘bars are wider, 1 degree lower and 5 degrees further forward for a more aggressive stance.

The big news for sportsbike nuts is the Fireblade SP version. The track-focused ‘Blade features Öhlins suspension (NIX30 fork and TTX36 shock), Brembo Monoblocs and a single seat. The engine gets the same cylinder head upgrades as the standard ‘Blade, plus some blueprinted internals (hand-picked pistons and rods from the factory) – expect 5-10bhp from this alone.

The twin-spar frame, although based on the standard model, gets modifications to suit the Öhlins suspension. Changes to rigidity around the shock mount have been designed to give more flex and feel. The Öhlins fork has an outer diameter of 55mm, which is 1mm more than the Showa kit, so there is a revised top and bottom yoke. The top yoke uses CNC machining and improves rigidity.

Thanks to the single-seat, a new lighter rear subframe will be used on the SP model. And to suit the SP’s more track-focused attitude, Pirelli Supercorsa SP rubber is fitted. There are also racier upgrades to the C-ABS.

All in all, not a substantial amount to get excited about but the changes to the SP should mean a leaner, meaner Fireblade and faster lap times. We look forward to thrashing the pair at the press launch in December...

Ok I want the SP version!!!!! :D

• Like Like x 4
  4. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Various managers who had the "we have had a great product for years so why change it" mentality. Hopefully Honda don't have the problem or they could follow Nokia down the road to obscurity. Wouldn't be the first company that made bikes who rested on their laurels and were confined to history.

5. Jonnymac

Jonnymac Active Member

Don't get me wrong, I like the Panigale. The thing that turned me off it was selectable maps, selectable level traction control, abs and adjustable engine braking.
    That only leaves the brembo's and the quickshifter that I like.
    I want a fast, sexy Motorbike, not a fully programmable smartphone/camera/coffee maker.
    As you may know I have a garage full of older Ducati's, but the new electronics side of it leaves me cold

6. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

So the normal Blade is unchanged (apart from new colours) ! but they have created a SP version which is basically added ohlins suspenders and brembo calipers .... sounds like what they did with the R1 .. very creative ;)

It will be nice to see and engine rework sounds like it will have a bit more poke.

7. Jamiestrada

8. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Hmm wonder what the big reveal is end of November... Maybe a new RC bike!!! :) Well I can hope cant I!

9. sinewave

sinewave God Like

10. navvy10

I like it but the SP better come with a decent exhaust fitted as standard!

2014 blade.gif

11. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Reckon your out of luck there dude. agreed it should but dont think it will.

bit pants really :(

• Like Like x 1
  12. Nick_BladeRR

Nick_BladeRR Active Member

To me I like the SP version and I am tempted to get one it looks like Honda is going to tackle the HP4 with the SP version essentially a track ready road bike. However given that I know how extortionatly priced the HP4 is I am not surprised that BMW are struggling to shift the units and if the SP is anything over 15k from new then Honda will have shot themselves in the foot.

Hopefully though this is not the case as I really like the look of the SP version and would happily buy one if the price is right if not I won't. Quite happy with my current Blade at any rate.

13. Jamiestrada

My bike will have those bits on by the end of the year anyway lol ;)

Well maybe next year :(

• Like Like x 1
  14. exfire

exfire Elite Member

At least the SP does away with all that hassle of removing the pillion pegs.

• Like Like x 3
  15. pils

pils Active Member

will be saving myself some cash this year , how can this match up to the BMW and APRILIA ? NOT ENOUGH CHANGE TO JUSTIFY SPENDING !

16. navvy10

I'll give the S1000rr and RSV4 a run for their money on track on a new SP!!! The blade is not anywhere near as slow as some people think so this may just give it a proper fighting chance against the big boys ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nick_BladeRR

Nick_BladeRR Active Member

Sometimes change can be good but when you get something so perfect as the current blade why change it? I had this arguement with Triumph over the Daytona the first 675 was gorgeous and handled sublimely then they tweaked the engine gave it a bit more power and it was quite frankly the best bike in it's class. Then disaster struck when they unveiled the new model which, quite frankly to me looked like the b**ta*d child of the elephant man and dumbo. It was hideous I test rode it twice to give it a fair chance but I still couldn't see how it was better than the one I had given that it was meant to have an extra 6hp sure didn't feel like it and the handling was no better than mine.

My point here is I know the Blade is considered somewhat old hat nowadays but at least Honda unlike Triumph listen to their owners. From what I understand the riding position is changed on the 2014 model with the pegs further back the handle bars are one inch lower and mounted 5 degrees further forward for a more agressive riding position. Personally I love the riding position on my current Blade but can't hurt to give the new one a go. When Triumph designed the new Daytona they didn't listen to anything the owners said did their own thing and ruined what was a lovely bike and a real icon.

18. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

You will never see an aftermarket exhaust fitted to any bike even full fat race bikes that are sold to the public as they are governed by Euro emission laws, sadly we will be paying for the R&D that goes into an exhaust system that just gets removed once delivered to the owners. You have governments etc to thank for that! (coz of course they care for the environment!! NOT). I may keep on about the TT but I don't see many 1199's, RSV4's or S1000RR's in the mix, maybe they were so fast I missed them...ha ha. (not saying they are bad bikes)

I think that Honda get a bad time over the development of the Blade, people expect more, not that it lacks imo, if you want more hold the throttle open longer and brake less ;) As for rider aids most of them are counter productive imo and the rest just get left alone once the rider/new owner has his fill of the gimmick of them all, tbh they pi$$ me off as your never are happy with the settings, you have 10 levels of TC you need 11! You want it off you cant ride it, you have it on it just seems to get in the way? Personally all the electronics don't bother me, I wan't full control, a smooth engine that drives when I open the throttle, a direct connection from throttle to wheel. I like the mechanical traction idea, seems Honda have to give "smooth" a fancy name so people buy into it...

Like they say wait until the 18th, lets see how the rest get on with this new superbike.

As for the likes of the 1199 as much as people may want one and on paper it may stack up as a better bike, and even if you love its looks etc let me tell you a good number of people who think the grass is greener just can't ride them, twins aint no IL4 and a lot of people grow to hate them.

• Like Like x 5
  19. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Does it come in Black :)

• Like Like x 3
  20. Jonnymac

Jonnymac Active Member

TBH I don't see why everyone that says 'it's not a RSV4 or HP4' don't just piss off and buy one of those and leave us to enjoy the blade for what it is, the pinnacle of the jap in line four, that is undiluted by rider aids for people that think it will give them an extra 10th. You either like your blade or you don't. If you don't go buy one of the others. I think the SP looks a cracking bike. I'd probably like to see a few more horses, but only if they are usable and not crammed up at 13,500rpm

• Like Like x 1