29th July Ride Out

Discussion in 'Events, Meetings & Ride Outs' started by Dave V, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Mel

Mel Active Member

yeah it close enough to the cornerman system, its a pretty well known system (apart from on here it seems) lol

I find riding with mates, and riding in big groups that dont know each others riding style can be a different kettle of fish, but i'm not about to start interfering as its not my ride out, was simply a question to find out how its being done :)

2. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

but what is it exactly mel? that we we can all agree to it and everyone is happy? i've never heard of it? it's more likely just me though lol but my lot tend to just head out and we all just follow each other! no biggie really....

isnt anybodies ride out, just load of us from same area getting out on the bikes and having a laugh, i personally dont mind running a system but in my experience as long as you wait for everyone nobody gets lost...

dont think the numbers will be huge so im sure there will be anything to worry about at all.

3. abv

abv Active Member

Mel, I'm guessing you mean what I call the drop off system.

In short you have a leader and a tail gunner. Every time the leader passes a junction he points at a spot for the second placed person to stop. They then wait, pointing the way, until the entire group passes and then pull out in front of the tail gunner. Considerate overtaking is allowed.

It actually works very well for larger ride outs, particularly if not everyone knows each other, allowing everyone ride at the pace they prefer without anyone getting left behind.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mel

Mel Active Member

abv just nailed it :)

5. Mel

Mel Active Member

but i like jimbo's idea as well, and ok not a rideout, bunch of bladers and the occasional R1 having a mooch through the countryside?

:D

6. Si.

Si. God Like

Yup, that's what we do. Pull over at a junction if theres a few behind, point the way and catch the last rider.

It works very well with large groups. I've been with a few, and some just took off leaving the tail enders no way of knowing where they went.... it makes for an unhappy group to be fair if it happens.
    Saying that, the Northern Run was ace, no one got left behind, even though some went a different way....

7. kev.b

kev.b Well-Known Member

What time to meet at Junction 6 Godstone

8. kev.b

kev.b Well-Known Member

Hope its nice an dry with lots of sunshine !!!!!! :)

9. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

This was the original plan, before we moved boxhill to godstone:

Dave V
    Kneedragger

Thanks
    Achievements:

29th July Ride Out
    Right all you south east dudes and lady dudes. The guy's up north managed to get it organised and appear to have had a good time, so let's us lot give it a go. That doesn't mean this is a closed invite, if you can come along it would be awesome to meet up.

The plan:

Meet at the Oakdene Cafe (well the total garage next door) at 07.30 for a sharp 07.45 depart.

Onto Boxhill to meet anyone that wants to meet there for 8.30, depart at 08.45 for Loomies.

Should be at Loomies for 10.45 the latest to meet anyone who fancies meeting there. Some breakfast then leave around 11.30 for say Arundel or Goodwood, then onto Rye.......

So how's 8.15 for Godstone? May have to look at the time we hit Loomies, but should be ok if the pace is good.

Tucker, Jerry, how's 7.15 at the Shell Garage?

I'm easy on the system thing, normally just ride and every time we turn off a road everyone waits for the last rider, that way everyone can ride their ride. Jimbo and I were out with 10 others of mixed riding styles Sunday and it seemed to work ok, that's what we also did for the France trip, again worked ok. If that's a system of some type, cool I've learnt something!

The main theme of the day is everyone has fun, so whatever the mojorty think I'll easy with.

10. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Better get a good nights sleep beforehand to be up that early lol :D
    Look forward to it.

11. IcarusGreen

IcarusGreen Elite Member

Bejebus! Ill have to leave at 0700 to make the 1hr 40min (by google maps) trip to be at Godstone for 0815!

12. Givover

Givover God Like

None of that old time waiting around shite for us Northern boys the only system we operate is the Blaggers method.

13. Carl_RR

Carl_RR New Member

Sounds good to me... Will be at Oakdene/Total

14. Mel

Mel Active Member

Hello Carl :) Good to see you on here mate, they'll be asking for pics in the next 5-10 mins lol

15. Carl_RR

Carl_RR New Member

lol pics of what me or my bike

16. Mel

Mel Active Member

Oh god, is there a face palm smiley? :D

17. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

you've posted in a thread without introducing yourself and posting pics - they will guage your eyes straight out for that mate!! lol

welcome in - and local too - happy days!

18. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

That's how I have always known it on big rides, everyone stopping and waiting works well I find in small groups but in large ones tends to attract a bit of police attention! Then they start trying to have a winge about obstruction etc no mater how sensible you are

19. Jasonrr08

Jasonrr08 Active Member

Im in if weather ok,live near godstone,is this still a meet point?

20. Carl_RR

Carl_RR New Member

Hi Dave,
    I have been told that Boxhill will be locked down for the Olympic cycling womans road race on this day. Might need to check this and use another meeting point??

Hope this helps the ride

Carl