3D TVs' What to look for

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Remal, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Moily

Moily Active Member

Ah well, if you have the WAF then that's definitely a green light to spend some hard-earned!

Glasses-free 3D will be affordable within 12-18 months. I can wait till then, although after seeing how much thinner/lighter my LED is compared to my LCD, it's definitely tempting to go shopping before then!

2. Moily

Moily Active Member

Don't need to spend loads on HDMI leads, like you do with audio cabling. Cheap ones work just as well.

3. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Argued it for ages in the shop with the rep but ended up with a cambridge HDMI lead thrown in on the deal, as HDMI is a digital interface how can high qual leads make any difference at all, Ive used freebee leads and this lead and not seen anything change, maybe it drops a pixel or two if near mains leads etc as the cheap leads have no sheilding but thats about it, saying that the cheap leads dont last long.. This high end lead is a pain in the ass as its so thick, bit like me on the day of purchase wish I had stood my ground and got a 20quider!

4. Moily

Moily Active Member

Yeah, as long as you stay away from the REALLY cheap ones which will be of dubious manufacturing quality, a £10 HDMI lead will suffice. Pity the same couldn't be said for speaker cabling as that cost a bomb to run round the room!

5. arthurbikemad

Not wrong! High end speaker wire...mmmm. costly..!

Nice of my iPad to delete my other posts I see! maybe it did not like what Im saying....lol :S

6. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I did have a Belkin HDMI cable once where the shielding was bloody awful. It quite surprised me, but in fairness may have been faulty.

7. phantom

phantom Active Member

active telly I was meant to say

8. arthurbikemad

Ah its me deleting my posts.. FAT fingers...........I need a dialing wand..!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Moily

Moily Active Member

Lol! Can't get Youtube here but I'm presuming that's the best episode of the Simpsons ever?

"Just washing my fat guy's cap, honey!"

• Like Like x 1
  10. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Ahhh, the classics...

Mr. Burns: Smithers, what's the name of this gastropod?
    Smithers: Homer Simpson, sir. One of your chair moisteners from Sector 7-G.

#30 kpone, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  11. arthurbikemad

Love em.. :D

Soooo funny... I mean, Fat Air!....pmsl Simpson classic lines :)

12. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I was about to embed my all time favourite Homer moment but thought about thread hijacking and exercised constraint.

13. arthurbikemad

Oh yeah sorry Remel :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Lets address some of the queries.

Will glassesless 3D TV's come down in price. Yes, but it took Plasma & LCD around 8 years to get below £1000 at the screen size your looking at (around 42-50"). LED came in as a replacement for large screen LCD, so it took much less time to hit low prices (bearing in mind that its just an adaptation of LCD).

Both LCD & Plasma 3D TV's came in at a high price less than 2 years ago (i.e. Panasonic did only 2 models in 2010, both were over £1500), but curent models are now cheaper and there are more of them as the manufacturers have realised that fewer people are interested in 3D than they are in Smart TV. Therefore they do not appear to be putting much emphasis on 3D which has direcly affected why there is a lack of glassesless 3D. Panasonic for example, have only just anounced at IFA (a european trade show) that they have a concept 103" glassesless 3D plasma and will probably not have any consumer versions of it next year, so I wouldn't hold your breath as Samsung have not announced anything similar at all, and with them being the 2 biggest players in TV I can't see anyone other than Toshibe having one.

There are also some big downsides to glassesless 3D TV, but I don't have the time to list them right now. So what has been mentioned (by I forget who), go look at the TV's and see what you think.

Just a quick note on the glasses. Make sure they are the correct type for the TV as the ones in the link are Infra Red to the 2010-2011 TV's and won't work on 2012 BlueTooth TV's. The Panasonic BlueTooth glasses for 2012 TV's are TY-ER3D4ME, or TY-ER3D4SE. I don't like correcting people, but wouldnt want anyone to end up with the wrong glasses.

[muffking forgets who makes a quote and then goes on to quote the said person. Dohh!!!]

#34 Muffking, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

seems your know your stuff MUFF ;)

16. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

Thats the F1 on the F1 channel bud

17. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

lol well looks very much like the game i'm playing

F1-2012-010.jpg

18. phantom

phantom Active Member

I had a go with a few smart tv's and the hand control
    is as random as the xbox kenict so I personally wont
    be running out to buy one.

19. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, it looks like I'm in a similar boat to Remal. Need a new telly, my plasma's dying. Now then The last time I looked at LCD, I hated the colour on them, especially flesh tones in high contrast scenes. I've seen LED computer monitors that seem to have no concept or control over true colour fidelity whatsoever, so my opinion is slurred towards this solution also. Correct colour rendition is a bit of an occupational hazard with me so bare with me please. With plasma, apart from turning down the way too high saturation that comes as default, I've never yet had any problem with how the screen looks. So plasma is the favourite in this race. I must add that it's a small room so 42" is sufficient. I looked at Matt's find, the Viera UT series and the review said nice things but only 2 HDMI ports...

So lets restart the thread all over again. Muffking seems the man with the skinny on it so what else in the Viera line up does he fancy?

20. arthurbikemad

I'm still loving my LG760T 55" LED with a grand off down to 1500 inc 3D blue ray player and sound system :D I did 5 years in digital non linear video editing (systems for sky, bbc and real time blue and green screen sets among others) so I'm fussy over colour, frame rates, contrast, gradients, etc etc etc and think its the balls has a little edge bleed but hard to get one on display in total dark, Samsung have advertised the new gen to have 8 or so cells that control contrast perfectly but that's bull as in low light you still get edge bleed, the only screens that don't IMO are OLED.

This LG is not much bigger overall than most 42" plasmas as daft as it sounds....

down a bit more, look for package deals in store mate no matter what tv you choose on the day I got this it was 500 off the sale price!

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/lg-55lm760t-full-hd-55-led-3d-tv-12424949-pdt.html

#40 arthurbikemad, Oct 22, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012