3D TVs' What to look for

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Remal, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Moily

Moily Active Member

That's what I mean about overlap, but it's so much easier having it on instant-access on the TV rather than flipping over to another device. Sounds like a small difference, but means a lot in practice, especially with the time taken for the 360 to boot up and its noise factor.

We're not far off all brand name TVs coming with these features. Gotta love innovation!

2. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

The tech is great Moily, it's just the bit of string and two coco tins that pass for telecommunications in my village render most of them redundant.

3. phantom

phantom Active Member

4. Muffking

Muffking God Like

That wavey Kinetic style of remote is just a Samsung rip off of xbox. The real reason for a smart tv is the internet and App side of it. Lets face it, if you've use a smart phone then you will use many of those features on a smart tv too.

5. phantom

phantom Active Member

a lot of panasonics have had internet,youtube built into them for years, think the apps
    and hand wave thing is the main new feature

6. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Okay, here's the thing. About a year ago my venerable plasma start displaying a strange fault. Any input from the remote would be delayed by about 5 or 10 seconds before the set would respond. Also, every 30 seconds or so the AV channel indicator would appear in the top right corner of the panel. After a couple of weeks of this it would suddenly reboot itself with a disconcerting crack from inside. Always at about the same time in the evening, so I put it down to some kind of thermal breakdown of a component. As the auto reboot seemed to clear the problem until the next evening I started to predict the event and as soon as the stuttering input symptoms started I would switch the set on and off again and it would then be fine.

Just as I was getting ready to bite the bullet on it, it just stopped doing it and has been fine ever since.

Fast forward to the beginning of this month when, one evening, a vertical line of dead phosphors appeared down the dead centre of the screen. Judging by the colour shift in the line I would imagine it was in the blue set as skies went black and flesh tones appeared magenta. I've spent enough time around image sensors and display panels to know that I was looking at something terminal so began an potentially expensive and confusing search for a replacement, the results of which were posted here.

After one final scan of the finances, I pondered what kind of effort on my part it would take to live with the fault if it didn't get worse. I glanced at the screen and thought to myself that it didn't look too bad. In fact, as I squinted at it, I couldn't see it at all. In fact, as I got up walked over to it and looked at point blank range, the line had completely disappeared and it has remained so for about a week now.

I shall continue to monitor this, but it makes me wonder if Panasonic make such good telly's that they fix themselves, or.....my house is haunted by the ghost of James Doohan.

7. Moily

Moily Active Member

Life's short enough as it is. You're going to get one soon with the sounds of it so why wait?

You could be enjoying the lovely smell of new tech right now (as well as the horrible stench of shopper's guilt!)

8. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Stick the old one in the workshop and shiny new one in the lounge...simples..:)

9. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Strikes me that the question is more along the lines of wether you should replace the Tv for a better one or save the money and live with the problem. Only you can really answer that one.

Maybe put another way you could ask yourself if you would enjoy the new toy any less than having the money still sat in your bank. This applies to most purchases, but the good thing about Tvs is that you can enjoy then for about 8 hours every day. If only it was the same with bikes.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Now it's working properly again (thanks Scotty) the answer is definitely keep the money in my pocket, but you're right, I do get a lot of pleasure out of my telly and a grand for another 5 years isn't to much to ask. But for now, if it ain't broke...