ABS or not to ABS

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Freedom of choice, Jul 1, 2011.

1. TonyBlue

TonyBlue Active Member

Btw FOC, you are also two grand lighter....

2. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

3. Bats

Bats Active Member

Good choice ive just gone from 07 non abs to 011 abs its perfect a dream love it! ABS and the roads = no brainer!! also its DOES not interfear at all when you ragging it and having fun ;)

4. JM1

JM1 Active Member

I hear that's actually a matter of opinion though :)

5. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

Just my thoughts on this, I tested the abs blade but bought the non abs, each to there own but for me it's something else to go wrong, adds weight and when Honda look to shave every ounce they can I don't see the point in adding it. I certainly can see why someone might feel safer if they ever needed it in an emergency but for ME, I've managed just fine without abs all these years.

6. Freedom of choice

Freedom of choice Elite Member

Well picked up the new abs black blade a couple of weeks back after a false start, sunny when we left to collect it and pissing down with rain when we got to the dealership. They had given it such a great polish it seemed a shame to get it wet, - so we went for a meal and few drink instead ! went back the next day and all good. I had a grin on my face all the way home, swopped the dish plate for the smaller "Midlife Crisis 2" plate and went for a ride. It is very very nice. i love it. Not really had that much chance to ride it but in the 200 odd miles so far the tank has marked at the base below where the dealer fitted the Honda tank protection, They called me up to check everything was hunky dory and when i mentioned i thought they had fitted the protection to high they said it was fitted as per honda instructions and if fitted any lower it would peel off. I think this is a fob off as the honda web site shows the protection fitted right down to the base where it meets the seat. I plan to ask them to remove what they have fitted and fit a nw one lower down when it goes for the first service. One other small thing i have noticed is a vibration from the left hand side foot peg that made me foot a bit numb after a 95mile non stop ride. Bike is standard other then rear hugger, seat cowl, R&G crash bungs and akro carbon exhaust can. Any one got any comments on this.
    Other then the slight niggles it is fine and I just wish the weather and other commitments would allow more riding time. Will post some photos when i get time to take some.

7. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

Hmmm.... vibration on just one side? Might be worth checking the torque of the engine mount bolts that holds your crash mushrooms just in case???

8. Bats

Bats Active Member

Yeah check that!!

But i must admit i get numb feet and hands on all bikes ive road for more than 100 miles ;)

9. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

theyre known to be really buzzy

i found progrip gel dual compound grips improve thing a hell of a lot

10. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

Yep, Renthal dual compound grips on mine feel much better than stock too.

11. Gregr

Gregr Active Member

I tried a CB1000 with the ABS combined braking system and it was a great improvement over the old combined (non ABS) system fitted to my Blackbird in 1997. The new system seemed to work ok though I didn't get to "really" try it out.
    I'm more with JM1 on this one; There is a theory that goes along the lines of this: Knowing that ABS is fitted and will help you in an emergency situation, that's how it's marketed and sold, gradually filters into the subconcious mind which eventually leads to greater risk taking because the ABS will save the situation. The same applies to airbags and other "safety" devices in cars. This is well documented research by the way not pub chat.
    I have also read of ABS Fireblades having issues thought to be caused by slow pushing/pulling to manouevre out of a parking spot or your garage, where a rider would roll the bike back & use the brake to stop the bike, roll it forward & use the brake again, seemed to upset the ABS if the bike was running because it was trying to calibrate itself or whatever ABS does just after start up, again this was in a lot of magazines/MCN etc, maybe a glitch that is now fixed though.
    Whether we like it not, eventually all bikes will probably be fitted with ABS