Added a few parts to blade this weekend

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by dan.1moore1, May 22, 2011.

1. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

It is certainly worth fitting a power commander even witha standard can

By doing this and removing the lambda sensor the bike is no longer restricted in the lower RPM which it would usually do in order to Pass emissions and noise regs.

You will benefit even more now you have a can fitted.

I ran my bike standard, then with a PCV with standard exhaust, then with Leo vince with lambda sensor still active, then finally with O2 eliminator fitted

The difference each time was good but the main difference comes when the standard lambda sensor is eliminated as the bike is no longer restricted below 4500rpm

A PCV is only £280 new so for the money it will transform your bike

2. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I am looking into the PC for my blade at some point this summer. I have GB racing covers to fit soon and New Leavers. Will be on my to do list after that

3. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

I don't have dyno runs or anything to back up the improvement
    But can confirm that from new my bike had a slight hesitation when you rolled on the power from cruising speed , Niw with the PCV and exhaust fitted as soon as you slightly touch the throttle it rips your arms off.

Defiantly a big noticable improvement in throttle response and low down grunt

4. GSP

GSP Active Member

I think this explains quite well my initial thoughts on the PCV.

My first proper ride with it fitted I had a pillion on the back. The last time she came on the back the bike was standard and although jerky below 4.5Krpm I could ride it smooth as the throttle was fairly unresponsive.

When we went out after the PCV had been fitted I was less smooth initially because the slightest touch of the throttle and the bike was off like a whippet.

#24 GSP, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  5. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but everyone who praises the PCV had an end can fitted at the same time so how do you know the PCV made improvements and not just the end ? The OE exhaust valve operates at 4500 rpm so disabling this (and not fitting a PCV or end can) could be responsible for the bottom end fuelling imrpovement.

Don't get me wrong I know the benefits of a good custom map as I have an SP2 with Frank Wrathall (Paul Bird in BSB & WSB) custom map including iginiton advance but cannot see any problems with an Arrow end can only on the RR8 and neither can the multi million pound R&D derparment at Arrow who design the end can for no fuelling mods.

6. flatstickHRC

read my post 21

i ran a standard can with the power commander and it improved the flat spot

7. dan.1moore1

I ran mine stock for 200 miles and was a little disappointed with the flat spot at 3500,
    I fitted a botbodies MGP Growler and that disabled the sensor and totally got rid of the flat spot bug the bike was running very lumpy at higher revs.

Then I swapped for a scorpion slip on which is tuned so that no PC is needed , the nine ran good with just the scorpion slip but u wanted a PCV anyway so that I could fleet the Growler again and be free to try different exhaust.

Anyway I fitted the PCV and it noticeably smoothed the entire range out and made the throttle response very very good( this was with O2 sensor eliminated giving the PCV full control of the range)

I tried the Growler with the hitbodies map and the lumpy idle was gone and the bike ran great compared to how rough it was with out the PCV

So to summarise I agree that the Exhaust and sensor Eliminater that gives you the biggest gains and the PCV is smoothing out the delivery of that extra power

8. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

Thanks for all the replys and as the saying goes every day is a school day.

This discussion has got me very interested. I can totally understand a flat spot existing because of the stock cable operated exhaust valve at 4500 rpm but with this removed my theory is so the flat spot should be as well.

Can somebody help me out and tell me how the lambda sensor would restrict my set up which is standard apart from the Arrow exhaust with baffle fitted. I assumed the lambda sensor would have allowed small adjustments to be made to my fuelling to compensate for any change in the air/fuel ratio after fitting the Arrow zorst. But after reading this thread are people saying there is some logic programmed into the stock ECU to limit performance in the bottom of the rev range for emission testing purposes that can be elimnated if I remove the lambda sensor and simply plug the whole ?

I know an improvement would be made with a PCV but as I m happy with the current set up and find it very smooth (Arrow designed it to work with stock ECU) I m reluctant to spend the thick of £500 on a PCV and Auto Tune as I don't need a performance improvement and if the baffle is still fitted and Arrow designed the end can to work on stock fuelling I can't see the bike running lean and doing any damage to itself. Plus Honda's are well known to run rich in stock so even if it has leaned of a little I m thinking it should still be fine as it was too rich to start with if that lot makes sense.

9. dan.1moore1

Well i disabled the flap for a few days but the flat spot was still there

10. dan.1moore1

I don't think removing the sensor with out running a PCV is going to do anything but make your FI light come on.. You get an improvement with the power commander as the sensor circuit stops the PCV taking control of the bottom end of your power range.. So remove the sensor and the PCV can then intercept the low fuel curve aswel

11. flatstickHRC

The flap in the exhaust removal won't gain any power. It's just there for noise emissions.

The flat spot is due to the environmental testing caused by fueling set up and like lots have said with the lakes sensor still active the bike will always be overridden by it's restricted set up

Basically without a power commander your not getting the best from the exhaust you bought. I found the bike really annoying to ride at times due to the flat spot and once derestricted the bike is much easier to ride.

I think you could run an O2 EliMinator without a pcv but I'm not sure what map it would revert back to or if it would remain restricted

I don't know where your gettin prices from but a PCV is 280 quid

There is no need for autotune. Either run a downloaded map or get a custom map done for about £100-£150 if your not satisfied.

I would say the downloaded maps are somewhere near to be honest.

If you run autotune you need to disable the PAIR system which is a pain in the arse

12. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

Thanks for advice your making me consider a PCV now.

I was quoting £500 based including £200 for an auto tune but as you say it would most likely be okay without.

13. JM1

JM1 Active Member

I ran a PCV with standard can and felt an improvement.

14. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Agree with flatstickHRC's post above.
    Final comment is that all this stuff is relative. For example, someone who doesn't ride often might not notice any difference between these various setups, but the more familiar you are with your bike, the more difference you will notice.

15. GSP

GSP Active Member

Absolutely.

Stick someone on a blade that's not used to it and they probably won't even use 1/4 throttle and will still think it's balistically fast.

16. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

I admit I m no riding god but can comfortably run mid back in intermediate group all day long so not a total novice at this game and I can honestly hold my hand up and say I can't really notice any flat spot without a power commander fitted, I guess I m not the sensitive type LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. flatstickHRC

Ride along at a steady speed/throttle at say 3500 and crack it open. It will bog down a but then when it hits around 4500rpm the engine note will change and it will take off. I found myself getting on the power much earlier than normal to compensate for the flat spot.

It is night and day difference one you get the restrictions removed

18. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

Cheers for the info I will give it a try and see if a my clumsy ass can feel it (Ha Ha !!) but the reason I have never noticed it is I m never in that part of the rev range LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!

19. GSP

GSP Active Member

If you dont think you will benefit from one... Quit worrying about it and move on then, simple as that ;)

20. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Active Member

Not worried at all mate but as the saying goes its good to talk and forums tend to be a good place to discuss things