Are you 15 Stone and wanna set up your suspension?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by exuptoy, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Jcbmally

Jcbmally Active Member

Will you post your full settings pal for comparison

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

Front:
    Preload: 6 turns from fully out
    Compression now 2 turns
    Rebound 2 1/4 turns
    Fork topped out - 124mm
    Static - 94mm
    Rider - 80mm
    Rider sag - 44mm

Rear:
    Preload: notch 6
    Compression now 2 1/2 turns
    Rebound now 2 1/4 turns
    Shock topped out - 620mm
    Static - 610mm
    Rider - 586mm
    Rider sag - 34mm

3. Jcbmally

Jcbmally Active Member

That's interesting Mr OCD, my rear sag is 30mm everything stock apart from comp, now 1&1/2 turns out from full stiff. But front is nowhere near the suggested sag of 35mm (preload fully soft). Gonna have a trip up to my local bike shop and let him have a look at the springs and see what happens, but until then I'm gonna continue playing with it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jcbmally

Jcbmally Active Member

Ps, it is a lot better than previous settings though, but still confused about the sag crack.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

If your measuring it from the fork being topped out (make sure you extend it properly) and still getting less than 35mm with preload fully wound out then yes the springs have been changed.

Typically the fork springs are soft and the rear shock hard on these bikes.

6. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

If the fork springs are actually 11's mate that's hardly soft!
    My Gixer thou K5 had 8.5's I think as standard. Now they ARE soft.

7. Jcbmally

Jcbmally Active Member

I thought it was the other way round TBH.

8. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced they are 11's tbh ... Suspect more 10's given our preload settings ...

9. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

Not on the blade no... The rear spring is 12kg iirc

10. Jcbmally

Jcbmally Active Member

Forgot to ask, how's your settings feel compared to standard, again your current settings not a million miles away from standard pal.

11. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

It's the best it's ever been since I've owned the bike ... Feels stable, planted and turns superb. Gives so much confidence when pushing on...

I may go one turn up on front preload and take half turn off compression just to level the bike off a bit but I'm reluctant to fiddle now till the new shock arrives.

People make the mistake of running these bikes too stiff!

12. Jcbmally

Jcbmally Active Member

Copy that pal, not sure if I mentioned this but I put a cable tie around the fork, when out hard braking and still have 40/50mm travel left so I agree with you the springs must have been changed. Enjoy your new settings fella, I'm sure mine will be even better soon.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

Yep I did as well hence why I've gone back to standard preload to use more of travel which will help keep weight over the tyre and keep it on the road when accelerating ...

You definitely need more front sag tho

14. Jcbmally

Jcbmally Active Member

Been to my local garage to see Rob (bike fitter, ex racer). Explained everything I've done up to press to him and told him the bike is back to standard settings apart from pre-load, told him I'm getting a little bit of see sawing.
    Anyways, got the bike up off the front wheel and measured the static sag = 14mm. Bike back on the ground, settled the suspension and got 24mm rider sag. Little bit of head scratching and Rob probably thinks (like us) spring rate is changed. Went out for a blast (hard breaking, etc) with cable tie on, came back measured travel and it was 42mm, more head scratching.
    Rob set the front rebound 1.5 turns out, front comp left at 2 out, set rear rebound 1 turn out, set rear comp 0.5 turns out. Took it for a spin felt a bit to hard and flighty so backed off the rear rebound to 2 out, rear comp 1.75 out went out again came back grinning again (all good). I explained to Rob regarding the comment "Typically the fork springs are soft and the rear shock hard on these bikes", Rob's comment was "all standard rear shocks are crap"????????????.
    Rob pushed down on the footpeg and the rear still squatted a bit more than the front, bit more head scratching and said "if I set the bike so that it squats the same then it's to stiff for you!!". So the bottom line is this, if I want the sag right, then it's dial it in and make it hard OR new springs, if it feels right as set, then stick with it.
    So there you have it, cant be arsed feckin with it anymore so gonna ride it till I'm bored then buy a newer blade. SIMPLES !!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  15. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Mine is now where I want it. I was out the other day and decreased the comp by another half turn front and rear and a quarter turn less rebound front and rear. much more compliant and I'm happy. No more messing. I'm seeing 19mm on the tie wrap too which is all good.

The only thing I'd do now is replace the rear shock with a 13 one (Hint, hint MrOCD!! :) )

16. Jcbmally

Jcbmally Active Member

Post your settings up mate for comparison, how far away from stock are you?

17. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Pretty much within a quarter turn front and rear. I'll measure tomorrow. Although my preload is on 8 turns front (+2) and 6 notches rear (+2) although I am running a 55 rear tyre which if the tyre calculator is to be believed is around 9.5mm taller!!! It turns in very nice though.

18. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

:p ... decided I'm putting it on the bike this weekend. After paying import charges, etc. it's cost me a few quid so going to chuck in on the bike.

In other news I've setup a few bikes now ... all owners very pleased with the changes :) - Maybe I need to start charging? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Do it! ;)

I checked mine yesterday, all setting indicated out from full hard. front rebound 2, comp 2.25, rear rebound 2.25 comp 2.

Tracks lovely. The only deficiency now is the quality of the rear shock which although is acceptable and deals with bumps and undulations just fine, I have been thrown out of my seat on the odd occasion where an unexpected bump has been quite a heavy hit and fired me out of my seat.

20. Mr OCD

Mr OCD Well-Known Member

Told ya :p ... that's exactly why I'm upgrading the shock on mine ... you can tell it's not happy as you push on...

For track you will likely to close up the comp screws half a turn, but for road it will be fine. How much travel left on front forks?

Mine is still showing 25-30mm at the moment.