Bike feels wooly, new Ohlins i think

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by PeterT, Aug 9, 2011.

1. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

What a ball-ache. Dude, put everything back to standard and ride it for a month. then play.

2. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

Not really, it does not take me much time or skill (engineer) to play with it? I can't stand riding a bike with suspect suspension that's all .

3. JM1

JM1 Active Member

+1.

4. zeepony

zeepony Active Member

All im saying is that if you put the bike back to standard, and ride it for an extended period, you will then know what your aim is regarding setting it up for your riding style.

Plus, if its standard, you can go out on a demo blade and see if there is any difference. This would indicate mechanical fault, but at 2500 miles, it seems unlikely. - unless its been down the road and 'fixed' badly....

Also regarding pressures, i run 36 42 for road riding (standard).

5. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

I have rode it standard and don't like it like that. I have taken out several new blades and they are the same. Anyway it is back together now and i have increased the oil height by 3mm to compensate for the initial fork dive when braking, so will try this. Also i have spoken to several people who know suspension and have advised me what to do next, this includes fitting some better springs and new valve kit and a new compression needle body too. Hopefully this will help . Cheers.

6. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

what roads to you ride on? macau or the TT?

the standard suspension is easily good enough for the road. the fireblade is one of the most stable and easy to ride fast bikes out there. i can't understand how you find it so bad?

i admit the front and back end sometimes feel like they're mismatched but a bit of playing around with rebound can sort that

your weight should be just about right on the money for the standard springs too

• Like Like x 1
  7. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

I think that i am just a fussy b*steward when it comes to suspension, i have come from Caterhams and know that power alone does not win races, and the 3 things that i always sort first are Tyres, brakes suspension and only then will i look for more power!!! The blade is a great bike but they have comprimised with cheaper units which is why i am addressing this now.

8. flatstickHRC

Guess it depends how far you want to take things ohat you use the bike for but for the road and a few track days here and there I reckon the OE stuff is up to the job.

Alot of riding bikes well come down to how happy and comfortable you are on the bike so if you have any doubts then you should get it checked out.

9. viper_biker

viper_biker Active Member

Just buy an Ohlins shock and some forks if that's what you want. £2k should see you right if you are buying in the 2nd hand market. I've both fitted to my bike and the suspension is better than I am a rider but by fuck they are special looking.

10. Gregr

Gregr Active Member

Your tyre pressures are way too low for road riding plus as other posts have indicated the preload settings are too stiff.
    You should be setting Rider Sag, which is you on the bike upright on the wheels no stand, (you'll need a mate to help) I wont go on about numbers they've already been posted.
    I set up my 09 and did find the most critical setting is the rebound mainly on the front, a half turn can make all the difference and spent a while struggling to find a good setting.
    The standard suspension on a 2500 mile bike should be plenty good enough.

11. Givover

Givover God Like

I can see were you are coming from but i can also see you heading into a black hole on which you are focusing so much on this issue an you will never be happy (even after spending a load of bread ) You may be looking at the wrong bike for your needs.

12. Gregr

Gregr Active Member

As a cautionary thought in this world of Insurance companies wriggling out of any claim they can; Your bike is fitted with a non recommended size rear tyre and both tyres are underinflated; if any accident report flagged those up your insurance may not be happy to cough for any claim.
    It is important to remember that sometimes the fiddling and adjustment can get to the compulsive stage where too many adjustments are made and it becomes difficult to know what exactly has improved or got worse; go back to fully standard and start again using some of the good advice posted by others on this thread

13. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

Thanks, but i keep a record of any adjustments that i make and indeed do go back to the standard settings sometimes if i think that it is making no difference!!! The tyre pressures are only a recommendation and not a legal se t psi.

14. JM1

JM1 Active Member

No they are not.

15. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

Hurrah ! someone who agrees with me

16. JM1

JM1 Active Member

lol :)

17. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

:Banane09::Banane09:

18. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

Standard Blade tyre pressure are usually 36 front 42 rear. What makes you think 36 rear is correct? Why would adding 3mm of oil do anything? Maybe 30mm?

19. flatstickHRC

Standard tyre pressures are set for all weather conditions, pillion or solo, rider ability and wear.

There is no need for those pressures if your riding solo and in twisty roads

34f 36r is good for the road.

Adding oil in the fork reduces the air gap which affects the suspension as air and oil compress at different rates so effectively the stiffness of the fork can be altered by removing or adding oil.

20. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

I know all what you just said , but 3mm! come on?