brembo hpk mk4 calipers

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by graemewalker, Dec 28, 2013.

1. sinewave

sinewave God Like

My Blade is ABS but I wouldn't fit Brembo's to it for the following reasons

A) I can't see how it would be a benefit due to all the power & feel being controlled by the modulators and no direct connection with the Levers
    B) Brembo don't recommend you fit their calipers to ABS Bikes

I would however like to fit them to my non ABS ZX10R Track Bike!

Best sell em me then eh! :)

2. Daznorthwest

Daznorthwest Elite Member

Ah gotcha.. My apoligies mate.. Ill ring brembo Tomoz and see what crack is. If they really advise against it I'll go to plan be and put them on the blade I'm building for track. Got calipers now so just need the rest if the bike to put on then ha .. Seriously tho if it's not happening mate wiki pass them on to you

• Like Like x 1
  3. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

If brembo don't recommend their calipers for abs why has the new SP got them?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Daznorthwest

That's a great shout :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

During my research last night Brembo lists the m4's for fitment to both abs and non abs models with the exception of the Brembo rear caliper as it won't fit but front was listed same and using the same fitment part numbers for everything except with different front discs due to the speed sensor!

Where abouts did Brembo say not to fit the m4's to abs bikes?

6. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

It says not to fit Brembos to an ABS bike with standard lines.

In other words fit HEL lines and be done with it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Honda apparently did tweak the ECU perimeters for the abs ECU on for the sp blade but I would expect that is more tweaks regarding the speed and amount of pressure the lever is expected to recieve due to track environments so the abs does not cut in as early as the road going blade but only Honda really know exactly what changes were made.

8. Daznorthwest

In going to order in the morning Colin.. Cheers for that

9. Daznorthwest

Cheers for that Colin.. They will be on order Tomoz

10. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Good news Daz! Certainly some bling calipers

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jamiestrada

Jamiestrada JamieMultiTraitor

? Can you just fit callipers lines etc in dependant of the ABS system and just blank off ABS system ? I know you have ABS because you want it etc !!! But they will work on bike one way or another I guess

12. Slick

Slick Elite Member

If using Hels (which have a much slimmer banjo than OEM) then M10x1mm, the important bit is the threaded hole is in the RCS is shallow therefore the threaded portion of the bolt should be no longer than 10mm. For ABS a single banjo bolt for non-abs double.

Also make sure you have a 11mm spanner for the RCS bleed nipple before you start the bleed.

Daz you buying a new reservoir or reusing OEM?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Slick

Slick Elite Member

I'm guessing (and it is a guess!) its that the Brembos on the SP have the same piston diameter as the OEM Tokicos, so essentially the ABS pistons shift the same volume of brake fluid to displace the calliper piston the same distance and achieve the same braking force etc.

The question is whether the ABS gubbins and ECU can deal with the change of calliper piston size, frothing at the gash to find out!

• Like Like x 2
  14. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

• Like Like x 1
  15. Daznorthwest

I was going to use the oem red with the brembo pipe and clip kit. Getting the lady bird bracket that was opted to use the oem res with. Just been on the phone to Honda and they have advised against fitting the brembo masterclinder and calipers as it will confuse the ecu etc and result in me being hurt. Not sure what to do now. Abs can't be bypassed or disabled according to honda .. What do you think Arthur? Fit or no fit

16. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

I know many who have fitted 34x34 M4's to ABS bikes, Blades and S1000RR's **, The GP4RX 32x32 are no different, you have to take into account that the ABS system is based on wheel speed, it modulates the brakes according to front and rear wheel speed data. The argument is does it matter how you stop the wheel as long as the ratio of master to caliper is good you should be fine. And this is true for those who I know that have upgraded say 4 pad Brembo's to M4's with the S1. Honda will always advise against any such mods, the real question I would have to said person is where did they get the info, do they understand the system enough to comment? Are the just giving the regulation standard answer? Who knows.. what I do know is many have no idea and when you dig deeper they soon shy away for such conversations. I could confuse the situation by going into it too deep, i.e are the calipers pointless on an ABS bike, all I will say is those who have done such mods claim its worthwhile so I will not argue with real world reviews.. :) I have never done the mod myself or ridden a bike with such mod so can't say much more, also I don't have the info required to comment on it much more hence why I say about the question asked to Honda as I doubt they have the numbers to hand for the ABS unit either!

** I should add they are totally different types of ABS systems.

Some info here:- (the subject can get messy!)

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/b...ion/3962-brembo-m4-monoblocs-installed-4.html

If you wan't the real facts fire an email here and see what they advise.

http://www.bosch-engineering.de/en/de/ueber_uns/kontakt/kontaktformular.php

#156 arthurbikemad, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  17. Daznorthwest

Thanks a lot slick.. Bob on chief

• Like Like x 1
  18. Daznorthwest

Thanks a lot slick.. Bob on chief

19. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Arthur, I was talking to Colin last night about whither the abs system would be able to adapt to swapping the MC and calipers.

Honda will always always inform folks they should not alter there bikes in any form away from the factory created beasts as a means of covering there own ass, it's also a means of get out clause for the warranty any changes made to the bike automatically get blamed for any issues that occur and Honda won't take responsibility for repairs needed.
    Hell they won't even take responsibility or acknowledge a problem when an issue exists on a standard bike!

Anyway like you Arthur would expect the abs system to compensate for the alterations to the brake calipers and MC although I fear the system may function earlier than it would using stock equipment, Honda published some of the functionality and system behaviour of the abs and in that publication they state that the system monitors how fast and how hard the lever is pulled in by the rider.
    In emergency situations the lever would often be panic pulled with a lot of force and faster than normal this would be picked up and trigger the abs to cut in now my thinking is the greater flow from the Brembo MC could be picked up by the system as faster and harder braking and cause the abs to cut in when not strictly necessary.

As for the calipers I would expect the system to be able to apply the pressure to them as normal by the modulator pumps then monitor and modulate that pressure by reading the wheel speed data it has available as well as the lever pressure data. The after market caliper should give better efficiency and require more fluid to be pushed into the caliper to operate it would not require as much pressure to be generated to create the same braking forces achieved by the stock units.

But real world data is where the truth lies, people have carried out this modification on abs equipped bikes and as mentioned the reviews are positive that it's a worthwhile thing to do.

Either way Colin has already got all the new shiny bits on route to his house and I just found out last night I will be lending a hand (summit about makin tea!) making the swap over from stock OEM stuff to shiny Brembo and Hel stuff so we should know what the crack is soon enuff with changing everything over! :D

• Like Like x 3
  20. graemewalker

graemewalker Elite Member

what a load of bollocks it will be fine

• Like Like x 2