Buying a 15 year old low mileage bike - what to look out for?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Sp0oner, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Ah I wish! Chances are i'm riding back today as I bought the bike to use and so if it gets wet it gets wet. If I get that fussed by it there is a bike detailer fairly local who will put your bike to as close to new condition as he can get it so i've been told.

Yeah train journey will drag no doubt but at least it's direct so I can relax for a few hours, something I rarely get the chance to do!

2. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Cheers Hitch will do :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

If you stay at hotel ask at reception if they can help. Tell them you are worried about theft and if they are understanding they may have somewhere you could put it like a plant room.

4. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Thanks although I would have left it in the sellers garage as the place was just down the road. Anyway I rode it home and got soaked through after riding in about 2 hours of rain (had my leathers and not my gortex stuff) and bike looks like it's been through a muddy puddle. I got too cold to clean it when I got home so just dried off and trying to warm up and will clean it tomorrow.

Very pleased with the bike though was worth the journey although next time i'll use a courier!

5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Best thing is you've got the bike and you're home safe.

The cleaning is easy; the detailing is difficult - but it's all fun.:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Thanks Nigel. I'm not the most patient when it comes to cleaning so i'm going to need to put some time and effort in for once.

7. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Just taken the baffle out and not impressed with Yoshi exhaust it’s bloody quiet when you start the bike compared to the Arrow GP2 I had.

The Yoshi is an RS-5 might have to sell it and get something much louder.

Also how much effort is it to remove a Meta alarm? How many hours should I expect a garage to charge? It will knacker the battery and just a pain in the arse to have on the bike. The previous owner admitted the key fob eats batteries and has caught him out more than once so it’s got to come off.

8. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

Does it load the battery even if it’s not set? Or does it set automatically?
    My RR7 came with an alarm, but I’ve never set it and it seems to be ok. Reckon it might be a nightmare to disentangle so I’m not even going to go there.

Are you ever planning to take the bike on track? If so the ‘quiet’ yoshi pipe might be a bonus - I’m at Bedford today and the Yoshi GP Force with baffle just went through at a mouse-like 93db.

9. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

No i’ve never done a track day on bike or in car and doubt I ever will. The Arrow was effing loud when starting the bike up and riding it with lots of crackles and pops on overrun and loved it so a bit disappointed the Yoshi is so quiet as i’ve never had one before and with how expensive they are I was expecting a bit more. They don't do the Arrow GP2 for the older blades so i’ll have to start a new search for loud cans on the 04-07 blades.

The alarm auto sets so just want rid of it so will need to pay someone to remove it properly.

10. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Just spent hours cleaning it after yesterdays 210 mile ride in the rain, it's the longest i've ever spent cleaning a bike and hopefully it's looking like it did when I collected it...

[​IMG]20190504_175424 by Sp0oner

[​IMG]20190504_175443 by Sp0oner

[​IMG]20190504_175511 by Sp0oner

[​IMG]20190504_175533 by Sp0oner

[​IMG]20190504_175601 by Sp0oner

[​IMG]20190504_175624 by Sp0oner

[​IMG]20190504_175739 by Sp0oner

[​IMG]20190504_175803 by Sp0oner

[​IMG]20190504_175831 by Sp0oner

[​IMG]20190504_175016 by Sp0oner

[​IMG]20190504_175116 by Sp0oner

[​IMG]20190504_175226 by Sp0oner

[​IMG]20190504_175316 by Sp0oner

• Like Like x 5
  11. dmc12

dmc12 Well-Known Member

What a minter!! Cracking job! :D
    Your two chocolate labs are pretty awesome too :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Cheers yeah they were 'helping' me clean it :D

13. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

When you sell it you won’t be able to add the old saying never seen rain ha ha looks clean

14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Great job, Spoons. Even passes the 'underneath' test!;)

I often wondered why that model Repsol looks (to me) so much better than the later models. I think it's because there's a lot more black in the mix. I'd be proud to own that; you've scored well. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Cheers Nigel yep I did all the underneath all round the can and pipe, the plastics the lot. Because it was so clean when I picked it up it wasn’t difficult to clean thankfully just time consuming trying to do it properly and because it was so windy I was having to dry as I went.

It’s actually not black but blue. When the sun shines on it it’s really blue. You can slightly see it in the pic looking down on the seat cowl.

#215 Sp0oner, May 4, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
  16. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Just to disprove the old adage here is a dumb question. When having a bike as an investment is is vital to have original looks or are some mids allowed?

I see it has silver braided hoses, a sensible upgrade especially as the original hoses would be about 15 years old. Did the Repsol originally have silver coloured hoses, or would it have been the normal black and so will need to have the silver ones replaced?

17. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

I’ve no idea and this one isn’t an investment as i’m no good at actual detailing like getting the fairing off etc. However there is a box full of all the original parts such as the exhaust, indicators, the plastic mount that goes around the original exhaust and so apart from the hoses it can be put back to it’s original condition. I’ve got to get the box couriered to me as I couldn’t get it back home with me yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  18. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Damn! I knew that and have pointed it out to others before:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Minor mods wouldn't turn me off. Things like levers, hoses, handlebar warmers, tinted screens etc could be returned to stock if someone really wanted. Wouldn't affect price unless you're talking the big league like a VERY low mileage RC30, for instance. On my RR4, I removed an R & G tail tidy and replaced it with the uglier OEM. In this case, the bike's probably worth MORE with the R & G!

Some people can over carbonise bikes (in my view) and that detracts from the purists point of view. I think that in the final analysis, a bike would only lose value (as a collection item) if it's so transformed into a cafe racer or street fighter.

19. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Just got this lot by courier and very pleased:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Missing an indicator and asked if he has it laying about anywhere but other than that very happy to have the box of parts with the bike. I've put the bike cover straight on the bike it's great never had one before.

• Like Like x 1
  20. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Ooooh, love it.
    Beautiful bike, beautifully clean.

Awesome pooches too! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1