Buying a 15 year old low mileage bike - what to look out for?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Sp0oner, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Oh God :eek::eek::eek:

I was just admiring the momma bird with her babies pic and then it's getting eaten in the next one haha ffs :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

I don’t know what’s going on with the post i got a 2nd photo showing as in the post but i difn’t put one in and can’t actually see it :confused:

3. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Lol! I see my photos are public and you lot have looked haha and it’s not the same starling just to reassure you :D

4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Great box of goodies. How I love it when a previous owner keeps everything intact!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Yes I was worried he wasn’t going to send them as it needed a big box but it was all packaged really well so sent him a message to say thanks for doing it. The exhaust, seat and footpegs and toolkit were the bits i was most wanting so it was worth the wait.

#225 Sp0oner, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
  6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

The thing is, Spoons, they might not be going on to the bike, but for a prospective purchaser - as you were - to see this stash of original equipment, certainly helps along the sale process. I have different boxes of foot pegs and paraphernalia for a few bikes also. In the case of the three times sold aprilia, the stash of goodies was an added incentive, and allowed me to 'value add' (which means jack up the price) by a small margin!!

Great set of pics you've produced also. Still makes me keen on an 06 -07 Repsol, but I'm at capacity - aside from the possibility of a yellow trike ( https://www.1000rr.co.uk/threads/change-of-interest-anyone.37403/#post-492887 ) :D:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

That’s exactly why I want them, i’ll never use them but they go with the bike. He never put a pic up of the bits on the bike listing but I would have done as like you say it adds value. Some people don’t even want an aftermarket exhaust so you could put the original on and sell the Yoshi for a nice amount. I won’t but the option is there and that’s what I like.

Thanks and yeah you ‘need’ a repsol in your collection :D That trike is hilarious nearly enough seats for you to go cruising with the ex wives onboard :D

I wanted an 07 repsol or HRC but I couldn’t get a low mileage mint condition anywhere near budget and the 05 I bought I think I got for a good price and in budget so was happy to take that instead.

Oh he has just got back to me and has found the missing indicator and is posting it to me so even more chuffed now.

#227 Sp0oner, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 17, 2019
  8. Phil_M

Phil_M Active Member

Bike looks fantastic!

Consider Two Brothers for a replacement end can, sounds great and looks so much better (IMO) than the Yoshi/Akra options. I don't think they have a UK distributor, at least they didn't when I got mine, but the US dealer the factory put me in touch with was excellent.

9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

There was a forum member who gutted his OEM exhaust with good results. I wouldn't do it with a mint exhaust, but you could consider buying a used one if you chose that direction.

Problem with buying US parts is the shipping and customs - unless you know someone;);).

10. Phil_M

Phil_M Active Member

The dealer REALLY was excellent ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Thanks! Yes on my search on youtube the Two Brothers exhaust sounded nice and loud and I went looking at them but as Nigel has said the cost of customs and shipping puts the price up by quite a bit! It's definitely on my list though for a future purchase especially if one comes up on ebay already over here - a bit of a long shot though.

12. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Thanks Nigel. Problem with that is it sounds like you'd need to know what you are doing and so that rules me out lol - unless said member has a list of instruction they are willing to share! I miss the overrun on the Arrow, backing off coming up to lights etc the sound was addictive with all the pops and crackles :cool: (childish perhaps but that's me!)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Phil_M

Phil_M Active Member

I'll drop you a pm.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Thanks I was just about to ask if you could let me know the dealer! :)

15. Phil_M

Phil_M Active Member

87138DA8-61AA-4D40-A51C-F5282251D85B.jpeg 4823C1C9-F4C4-42D3-9AF4-38F33625887D.jpeg A couple of quick pics of the Two Brothers end can on my ‘06, not the best as she’s not been out to play yet this year!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Nice I like that! How difficult are the 04-07s to change the underseat exhaust? They all seem to use different heatshields and fittings?

17. Phil_M

Phil_M Active Member

Piece of cake, worst bit was removing the flapper valve actuator and cables, but that will already have been done on yours?

18. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

I don't know. Is the flapper in the pipe as opposed to the can? On my 2015 the flapper is in the original can hence when I changed it I had to remove the cable from the servo before changing the can. There is no cable on the original can i've got with the RR5 so i'm now wondering if this is in the exhaust pipe and not been done on mine which is why the Yoshi sounds no different to an original can when idling/on start up. If this hasn't been done on mine I need to do it as the exhaust being quiet is driving me to distraction - I hate quiet exhausts. I could be slating the Yoshi for no reason as it needs the flapper sorted :rolleyes:

Could you let me know what I need to do to check please so I can have a look?!

#238 Sp0oner, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
  19. Phil_M

Phil_M Active Member

20. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

There's no reply after the quote? :confused: