Buying a 15 year old low mileage bike - what to look out for?

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Sp0oner, Apr 16, 2019.

1. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

I have found a really good 954 that’s been stored for the last 9 years BUT the weekend I was due to go and pick it up it wouldn’t start a fuel pump issue and a new pump is £600 and the guy selling is reluctant to spend that. I haven’t given up on it just just and being one owner and very low miles I would like to wait. But if another good one turns up I will have it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Very nice! Isn’t that a worry though that storing any vehicle for a long time can cause problems from parts seizing or corroding? Don’t all fluids need draining if a car or bike is stored for years on end to stop corrosion internally?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Yes any I get have a full service and I aim to swap them around each so year on year off

4. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Have you seen the white 954 in Aberdeen? The wheels have been painted white so not 100% original but it looks in good condition from the photos. I'm just looking at flights from Southampton to Aberdeen :D

5. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

No haven’t seen that one on eBay?

6. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Yes on ebay, it's right up my street as i'm a bit partial to white wheels I had them on my 929. Aberdeen is a hell of a long way to go and look though so would be more realistic buying off the ad and having them deliver which isn't something i've ever done. I've messaged them this morning asking questions on it so waiting for a reply.

7. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

If it’s not for you send over a link I certainly won’t be driving to Scotland it will be a courier job, the RR4 is coming next via courier

8. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

PM sent to show you which one it is, i'm still waiting for a reply from them so might just call them instead.

9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I saw it yesterday:D. But I'm not a competitor;).

Not sure if I've told you, but I've bought without viewing before, but only after feeling comfortable in conversation with owner. I think we get a feel for who's legit or not. If they're prepared to email pics and docs, I'm happy with that.

10. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Yeah they sound decent guys but it's had 7 owners which puts me off as well as the service history although the previous owner is a bike mechanic so the stamps are there from where he works. They said it wouldn't benefit them to hide anything about the bike etc and can take close up pics of the bike and send over and they have been helpful in answering questions. So i've left it that i'll think it over. I really need to get down and test ride the rr7 and discuss price but it's hammering down here at the moment so I can't see me going today. It's £1k between the prices of them but the 1 owner from new full Honda dealership history is still very appealing to me.

11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Thanks Nigel that’s great low miles on it and going on my watch list. I haven’t had a look today yet on any new listings just been giving mine a quick clean ready for collection tomorrow morning and had to put it straight back in the garage as every time I see it I want to keep it!

Also got a couple of 954s i’ve enquired about and a mint 12k HRC rr07 but when I started showing interest he said he’s keeping it and deleted the ad lol

13. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

14. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Another stonking bike but I just can’t stretch to £5k :( if i could i’d have that one you can’t beat a bike kept in the house :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Offer him less he can only say yes or no

16. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

I would have done but like many ads at the moment he states no offers. The HRC 07 was showroom condition and £5k and when I tried to negotiate on price he said i’m keeping it and deleted the ad :confused: it was stunning and 12k miles

How have you got on with 954 with the broken fuel pump? I’m talking to a seller about a 2 owner one which is sounding good so far apart from being so far away again.

17. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

The guy is busy at the moment so no time to look at the 954, he’s given me his word I will get first dibs on it, if one with low miles turn up in the mean time I might go for it??

5k is top price for a good rr7

18. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

That's good then, hope he sorts something for you on getting the fuel pump replaced. The second one i'm looking at is 19k so not low miles but lower than the one in Aberdeen and a lot less owners and standard apart from the can which they have the original one too. I did wonder if you'd been to see it as they said a collector had been to see it lol

Yeah £5k is high but it looked and sounded immaculate so a bit gutted he deleted the ad and wouldn't drop even a bit. For that bike I would have tried to sort something on the money front to get it as it was that good, I was hoping for £4750. £4k is my budget but i'm not seeing many 07 HRC ones so they are commanding a high premium.

19. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Don't think I have seen the 954 you are talking about?? I have just paid over 4k for a rr4 so cant see you getting a GOOD rr7 for much under 5k??

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sp0oner

Sp0oner Active Member

Ah OK it's another collector then. Apparently the guy spent 2 hours going over the bike and said he wanted it but then only offered a silly low amount for it which they wouldn't take. Strangely he had had another call from a guy in the Southampton area about it too. I'm waiting on more info on service history to see if the 16k service was fully done.

I've still got the local rr7 with 1 owner from new etc and it's just over £4k but it's black so not sought after. It's the colour that's stopping me from going to see it.