Computer Advice please.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Garyb, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Andy

Andy Active Member

Your welcome Gary, your right absolutely nothing wrong with the iMac it's a stunning piece of kit, me I'm more of a windows guy but only because I find the software easier to get and if I want to update any of the hardware it's a piece of cake.

• Like Like x 1
  2. just_me _and _me _bike

U can download the windows onto an imac, a mate of mine is a web designer n has imac n windows working side by side on his imac n just swipes from 1 to the other, bloody amazing what u can do on imacs :)

3. Si.

Si. God Like

I concur with Andy....

more of a range of software for PC by far, and easy to upgrade graphics, sound card, etc...and for gaming a pc can't be beat and is cheaper, but you can spend 1,000's on a pc too with huge monitors etc...

The only thing you can realistically upgrade on a mac is the memory, which is easier to do than a pc...but if video and movie editing is your thing, mac all the way for me. And I've never experienced a crash or slowdown with a mac after 4 yrs of use..

• Like Like x 1
  4. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

The new iMac.

Performance and design. Taken right to the edge. The stunning new iMac features a beautiful widescreen display, the latest Intel quad-core processors and super-fast NVIDIA graphics — all in an impossibly thin enclosure that’s only 5mm at the edge. The stunning new all-in-one iMac features a beautiful, completely re-engineered 27-inch widescreen display that’s 75 per cent less reflective. Third-generation quad-core Intel Core processors and super-fast NVIDIA graphics make it the most powerful iMac yet. And it comes as standard with 8GB memory, a 1TB hard drive and advanced, high-speed I/O, including two Thunderbolt ports and four USB 3 ports. All in an impossibly thin enclosure that’s only 5mm at the edge

Tech Specs:

3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
    8Gb RAM
    1TB (7200-rpm)SATA hard drive
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
    27-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560x1440 resolution
    FaceTime HD camera
    802.11ac Wi-Fi networking;
    IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible
    SDXC card slot
    Four USB 3 ports
    Two Thunderbolt ports
    Stereo speakers
    OS X Mountain Lion
    ME088B/A

Something like this?
    So, if I get this right, I can use the 27" monitor for everyday stuff And If I want to go through the hdmi port to the Tv for the bigger picture I just swipe it?

I love the idea of the apple family,seriously I do, I've been a fan of their products IPhone/IPad from the start, way above my understanding, but the usability is fantastic.
    WTF is a thunderbolt port?
    This isn't going to involve me selling my soul is it?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Si.

Si. God Like

You can mirror Gary...use the wireless keyboard on the mac and use the plasma screen as a second monitor, or mirror what's on your ipad to the plasma too.
    Don't need hdmi port mate, add an Apple TV and wirelessly stream hd movies from mac or ipad to your big telly.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Si.

Si. God Like

Also, there's an app on the App Store called tv catchup, install it on your iPad or iPhone , and stream it too your big telly... Saves paying extra for a smart tv( which are crap IMO if you have an ipad, mac or apple tv box)

upgrade de the memory from crucial by doing it yourself ( I banged 32gig ram in From crucial for £150, Apple wanted nearly £1,000!).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Andy

Andy Active Member

Yup if your going the Apple family route, Apple TV is a must

• Like Like x 1
  8. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

iMacs are great if you have the budget for them and want something that's easy to use. But be prepared for a bit of a learning curve if you are used to Windows PCs. The OS is totally different.

A PC will be cheaper and some of them even look very iMac like these days. I've just bought a load of Dell All-in-Ones at work and they were almost 40% cheaper than iMacs and still look very nice. So it's a tough decision for sure. Stick with Windows and pay less, or push the financial boat out and get a stunning looking iMac that may take a bit of getting used to?

And don't forget Apple TV (the only way to mirror your iMac to your TV wirelessly) is another £80+ on top of the price of the iMac... ;)

9. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

TVCatchup have recently been ordered by the courts to remove the main terrestrial live channels - so expect this app to be nerfed very soon :(

10. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

some good advice on here...for my 2 pennies I love the simplicity and do it all nature of the Mac.
    Pay the money then just do it...rather than fingers crossed.
    But I am biased been using macs since the Iicx (1989) :eek:

11. Fezza

Fezza Active Member

Si is right with the memory - crucial sell it alot cheaper than Apple ;)

With regards to Windows programs etc, if you've got enough RAM then buy Parallels - i use my iMac and effectively in coherence mode you have windows and apple running at the same time, absolutely superb.

12. Fezza

Fezza Active Member

Ok, so on that spec you're talking £1599 from the Apple store plus £480 for 32GB RAM. Total = £2079. Now the clever bit..

Get the memory from cruicial and it's £246. Total = £1845.. but we can get it cheaper..

Find someone who works or studies at university or college. Use the Apple Education store. iMac is £1407, memory from crucial is £246. Total = £1653 :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

I work at a University if you are interested in using the Apple Education store. Happy to purchase it on your behalf to save you a few quid.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Fezza

Fezza Active Member

I'd charge 10% of the £192 saving, lol! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Just an update guys,
    MrsB went out and sorted this sometime this week, a small consolation for ducking out on my track day I guess.
    Thanks for all the advice and comments
    collected this today
    HP Pavilion TouchSmart 23-f281ea 23

Seems ok on first use :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

17. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  18. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

This would look nice along side the two main displays mate :)

[​IMG]

Mmmm carbon, mmmm curved, mmmm 4mm thick!

[​IMG]

Brand new JUST out 40" OLED CURVED display, shame its £8,999.00!!

• Like Like x 3
  19. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Those do look awesome Arthur, although the 90" led I saw in Costco would be good for a bit of call of duty or motogp!