Defecting from Windows to Mac

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Muffking, Nov 17, 2013.

1. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Id be interested to know hat you think of the dual boot when you try.
    great idea for PC5s etc but still feels like your inserting something nasty into your mac lol

System 7...ahh those were the days. I do miss rebuilding the desktop :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tim

Tim Member

I use VM Ware Fusion when wanting to do something on windows (xilinx ise). It just runs windows in window on your mac. A free trial can be downloaded, and the less scrupulous of you can google a licence key.

• Like Like x 1
  3. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Well I am getting better with my MBPR, she has crashed a couple of times but other than the two freezes this thing rocks!

I am running a windows 7 with boot camp as I want max CPU time for the OS, the Retina display is a bit of a PITA with windows but for what and when I use it it's not a big problem. I am going to reinstall it with Parallels as I am told they have a plug in for the Retina display and I am interested to see it run my PC ver of PS CS5, I'd get a mac ver but I can't justify the cost just for image resize and tone corrections etc, also like to pixelate and clone parts of an image so any good sub 100 quid prigs let me know.

Other wise long term quick review is:

Screen is amazing!!! even in daylight its good.
    Sound for the size again I give it 8/10. Had Karman SS on my old Toshiba so that was top draw with build in sub!!
    Battery life, well, for www its shocking, lasts a full day and more!
    Mobile net with Bluetooth or USB tether is also VERY good.
    Speed, for an i5 with 8GB ram and 256Gb SSD its GREAT, soooo good I have had to stop myself getting a MBA 11" from the Apple store i7/8gb/512, don't need it but man I bet its good for a little pop in the bag laptop.
    Keyboard is great once you get your head round the mac layout, otherwise buttons are great and backlight works well, other than they flicker, Apple claim they don't but they ALLLLL do it.
    Trackpad is the best in the game, just awesome.

Over all I am a convert to the MBPR, its a great device, few awkward things as I have to throw files cross platform but other wise MAC-PC-HTC/Android its all good baby!

4. thezipsteruk

Glad your enjoying the Ol MacBook matey, I really believe that although they aren't perfik (its a computer), you do have to try them over a PC.
    Welcome to the MacBook Fanboy club lol
    mbp.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Can't stand Macs, windows pc every time for me :)
    I can build my own to my own spec that way, and get just what I want
    Even most pc sites now agree that Windows have overtaken Apple in innovation since jobs died, Apple is dead, long live Windows ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. arthurbikemad

Haha, Zip your bald like me...lol

Simon, know what you mean but after three or so laptops from main brands the Mac Book Pro was in a class of its own, the PC laptops ATM are just so poor it's untrue (crap batt time, screen, touchpad, keyboard, build)

I am still a PC user (1 large high spec video and image PC and prob 4 others as well as an old laptop) but half my issue was Windows 8/8.1 can't tell you how much I hate it just the look of it. But I never got over moving up from DOS and Windows 3.1... haha

• Like Like x 1
  7. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Just got a Dell XPS13 ultrabook with an i7, 8GB of ram and a 250gb ssd. Paid under £800 and am very impressed so far, even windows 8.1 isn't too annoying. It copes well with running a linux vm at the same time, and barely breaks sweat. Was going to get a Surface Pro3 but couldn't turn this one down at that price.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I have come to the conclusion the macbook pro is the way for me also. if anyone is looking for one I have a great tip for getting the 15% off education part for nothing

I'm just waiting for the new update on the macbook Before I buy

• Like Like x 2
  9. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

10. thezipsteruk

"follicly challenged!"
    :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  11. arthurbikemad

Always a new model on the cards mate, even a day after its released, maybe a second hand one of the bay? I took the plunge and tbh this MBPR 8/256/i5 is great even at a fairly low spec, I am after a cheap cheap 11" Air to lug around for www and email, seen 2011 models go for £200-£400 with i5/i7 8gb 128..etc..

Not sure what Apple will do with a new MBPR as such a good system now, maybe a later more batt efficient CPU but ram and SSD wise who needs more than is already on offer?

12. BlackDevil

BlackDevil God Like

I am using both, but I have to admit, that a Mac is the better system.
    Using both keeps my brain working.
    Most people would like to own a Mac , but unfortunately its a lot of money and therefore, they stick with
    they windows platform.