Do you give blood?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by thefirebloke, Jul 27, 2012.

1. robinh73

robinh73 Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I suppoer the work the RNLI do, I just resent the fact that when they whinge poverty if their account drops below £300 million pounds, yet they can waste money in other areas. We had a guy who worked for us who was on the RNLI. He was advised that all crew members had to attend a course on how to use emergency flares. The course would be held in Scotland. As own vehicles could not be used for travel due to insurance reasons, a hire car was provided. Due to the distance travelled, the crew was put up in a 4 star hotel, with a room each for 3 nights. How much did this little lot cost the RNLI? It sounds as though I don't approve of the work they do, far from it. I see the work they do on a daily basis, but I just feel that the money wasting is just OTT.

• Like Like x 1
  2. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

But as I say these guys do this for nothing do they not deserve a little bit of 4 star treatment?
    The air abulance does a brilliant job im not doubting that but the also get paid thousands of pounds a year to do that job and also get sent on courses in big hotels etc.

My work raises a bit of money for the air abulance through old mobiles, clothes, batteries and chargers ( I don't know how that makes money but dies some how) any way they flew the helicopter into our car park, landed shook our hands, had a photo of the taking a cheque for £600. Now I'm sure I have read somewhere that it costs an average of £500 every time they leave the ground, of that's correct they flew all the way to my work for a £100! We could of posted or paid the £600 by phone lol.
    Like I say not trying to argue I just think RNLI maybe not quite as bad as you think, however I do think they should be paying people like my dad.

3. robinh73

I suspect that it is the case that many organisations should re-assess their spend really. Certainly the jobs that these guys do is extremely valuable and should be encouraged, but the governing bodies should look at the way they run the show. And as for the police, well.................

4. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol don't get me started on that
    Better let this post get back to giving blood sorry :-S

5. robinh73

This thread would go on for hours if we went on to the police! back to the blood, good call there Martin!:)

6. Corki

Corki Active Member

I do regularly, apparently my bloods used for cancer treatment.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hudson

Hudson Active Member

Ditto, give my blood..... it appears it is a bit rare (AB-) so they were very keen to get as much out of me as possible !!!!

8. Movistar

Movistar Active Member

no - the sight of a needle will have me passing out - when I went and had my wisdom teeth out I asked them to put a whole frickin tub of the numbing cream on my hand where they put the drip in - total phobia over needles and also a complete girls blouse lol. Blood tests are a nightmare and I have to pre-warn the nurses I'm likely to get very agitated