Does anyone keep chickens

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Scott, Dec 24, 2014.

1. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Used to keep 6 chickens but had issues with rats which is very common as they eat thier food. Also they live around 10 - 15 years and only lay for about 3 of those so unless your willing to neck them and eat them don't be expecting many eggs when they are older.

I didn't have to worry about that though as a fox took the lot out after 2 years during the day when they were out. Would certainly not bother again pain in the arse :)

2. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

You forgot the final symptom before expiration. ..... A mad compulsion to strike large four-legged animals on the Nose, while wearing a daft mask.

3. Marion

Marion Well-Known Member

Thought about having chickens once but if you have chickens you will have rats ! They come for the chicken food regardless of how careful you are. Don't mind snakes or spiders but rats ? That is a huge no for me.

4. Scott

Scott Active Member

iv given up on that idea now lol

5. Mike07

Mike07 Active Member

Aww........ That's a shame, we didn't want to put you off or anything. I was looking forward to a Free Range Egg Sandwich.
    Mike.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Chickens & Rats!

• Like Like x 2
  7. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

We have chickens in the yard, pukka eggs, and yes rats! BUT then my missis had rats in the loft in the middle of town, shame I can discharge the auto in the loft! Got the fekers with 50 year old traps, they know what a new trap is! VERY clever rats are, unlike chickens! IF you think you don't have rats then you could be kidding yourself, your only ever a few feet from a rat where ever you are! The councils seem to think that adage is 50m but then they would say that, when you have a hunters eye you see the Bastids all over the place!

#27 arthurbikemad, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  8. coupe312

coupe312 Active Member

chicken are easy to keep ,minimum effort really, only reason i don't keep em is my dad does

fox and vermin issue... me and my little friend keep ontop of them. Both have turn up, both very allergic to lead. although a between us there is always mk4 trap set( just watch you fingers if you've never used one before).
    i also help out a small free range chicken/ duck farm and usually ones a month i get a call to go give a fox a lead ear hole.
    hence between my dad and old dear i never buy eggs.

when the chucks stop laying they make great chicken cass.