Fireblade C-ABS Problem Thread C-ABS owners please look here.

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Pete1987, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Pete1987

Pete1987 Active Member

I dont think i have the strongest hands in the world, that is just normal brake pressure, you can see what the difference is when the C-ABS is off, all be it still a way back but an inch (ish) further away from the throttle.

My bike was bled last June and has only done around 100ish miles since it was done, and now its back to that, saying that even after the fluid change and bleed, the brake was about the same as it is in that video.

So i dont think the fluid will be drawing air in anywhere (It shouldnt do as it is a sealed system)

Keep the details coming people, i need as many as possible before Thursday,

Cheers

Pete

2. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Pete, why don't you just DEMAND the updated valve body thingy-ma-jig that someone kindly posted on the other thread including part number a £1K plus price Tag?

3. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

The front modulator is £1455 in the UK and can be purchased for £550 in the US from a main dealer, now thats some mark up

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pete1987

Pete1987 Active Member

Unfortunately, if it come to persuing legal action I would have to appear being fair and willing in the laws eyes. I've learnt this over the last few years as I have had to do similar with my fto.

So unless it gets to the point things are being refused I will have to essentially deal within "good will" terms.

But I will be mentioning the modulator assembly when I speak to the dealerships.

5. Ian E

Ian E Active Member

Yes a bit cheaper in the US - 57100-MFJ-A51 MODULATOR ASSY. $810.62

6. Slick

Slick Elite Member

I've read other threads on forums that when Honda sort something out the owner is put under a non disclosure agreement. The Big H seem to be very protective that the CABS system is not seen as not fit for purpose. To be fair when CABS is working its absolutely awesome but there seems to be 1 too many cases.....

7. Pete1987

Pete1987 Active Member

I've not had anything as such as that as of yet, and i certainly dont think i will be agreeing to silence my own opinions, we will see where it goes.

I agree in theory the C-ABS system is an amazing idea, it just needs the reliability, my dad has a Combined braked Blackbird and the brakes on that are incredible, so why doesnt the C-ABS follow suit seeing as CBS has been around for years now?

8. sinewave

sinewave God Like

I suspect it's lack of room on the Blade for the Modulator unit which has probably taken a step too far in the miniturisation stakes and hence now the problems?

9. Doodles

Doodles Active Member

I got AA cover out a couple of years ago do am covered on the cars and bike. Reassurance more than anything, plus it covers me for euro trips too!

10. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

I would also be interested to hear of any owners whose Blade has suddenly developed a flat battery some hours after riding it.

Mine went flat to the point of not being able to bump start it after being parked during a working day a couple of weeks back, needing the bike everyday, I bought a new battery the next day, even though the bike goes on a Optimate every night.
    I then found a thread in a US forum, it was not an unusual occurance on ABS Blades, they finally found that if the bike hits a bump or completes a tight turn just before turning off the ignition, the ABS system stays active, and drains the battery, the tell tail being that after switching off the ignition, if you switch it back on, the abs light does not illuminate as normal.
    I have to make a tight turn where I park the bike.

The battery I have replaced was only 14 months old, and since have charged it and it is holding a charge, and appears OK.

Anyone else had an unexplained flat battery some hours after riding the bike?

Right, like a complete plonker just found a thread on here regarding the same issue

http://1000rr.co.uk/general-1000rr-discussion/116.htm

Been and checked the ABS ECU on my bike and its one of the faulty ones, bike is in for a service in 2 weeks, will be requesting they contact Honda

#30 Kentblade, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Pete1987

Pete1987 Active Member

Ok so the bike is being collected tomorrow and I am sending printed copies of this thread and the other threads on internet i have found about ABS issues with the fireblade.

I will be getting the driver to sign for the paperwork and the bike to proove that they took it from me.

I will keep you informed as to what happens over the next few days.

I have also got a video of the brake lever collapsing under braking (Causing the ABS light to flash) now. NOTE I CAN REPEAT THIS

Video can be found here: http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/Peter19871/media/BrakeCollapse_zps42b24b01.mp4.html

I havent had the flat battery issue but i think the ecu is meant to fix this and in my opinion the abs bike is drastically underpowered when it comes to its battery.

Cheers

Pete

#31 Pete1987, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  12. Pete1987

Pete1987 Active Member

Bike has just been collected and documents provided to the driver and technician at the dealership via email.

Interestingly the 2012 bikes also suffer from this problem and Honda have said it because of where the front brake modulator is mounted, what happens is that it gets hot and fails as the brake fluid gets hot and just flows through.

The dealership are saying that i shouldnt be paying for any fixes despite the fact it is out of warranty.

They are looking at the bike today and then it is a case of waiting on Honda UK getting back to them.

I'll let you know.

Cheers

Pete

13. billo01

billo01 Member

So are Honda admitting that it's a design fault then or is this the dealers opinion? Where is the front modulator mounted?

14. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Interesting comment from Pete regarding heat, the thread below on a US site, although not proven to heat, lends weight to the theory, particularly on the mounting position of the modulator and areas where high ambient temps are recorded.

Air appears to be the problem relating to the lever coming back to the bars, air cannot just get into the system without either a component wear and or failure issue or user maintenance error, or a reason that is otherwise causing a closed loop system to allow air into the system. It would appear when all put together to be the last issue.

At this stage the manufacturer will know exactly what is causing these issues, there have been too many instances of brake failure to be just put down to one offs and /or rider error/incorrect operation.

It appears when all read together, of great idea but flawed implementation and then complete head in sand denial of issue.

C-ABS issues - Page 25 : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

#34 Kentblade, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Pete1987

Pete1987 Active Member

The guy that collected my bike from the dealership has said that it is the front power module after seeing the videos i have put up. He says that he knows a lot of dealers have replaced these but it takes time convincing Honda UK to authorise it.

The modulator is mounted between the manifolds and the radiator.

They are going to investigate it today and get back to me with their findings.

That link Kentblade has listed is with them at the dealership in paper form all 25 pages of it. witht he key points annotated so they can see exactly whats happened and where.

16. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Has anyone actually said whether the replacement modulators are actually modified in anyway from the OEM ones, or are Honda just replacing like for like which seem stupid if it seems to be a design issue in the first place?

17. Pete1987

Pete1987 Active Member

Just heard from the dealership Honda UK have said as i have no warranty they arent taking any action, have advised the dealership to do a full brake bleed and 8000 mile service all chargeable. £167.02 (Service) + £192 (Brake Bleed) even with all of the evidence at Honda UK they say there is not enough to make it a recall. So in order to get my bike back i have to pay out £359.00 then ultimately when the brakes fail again have to take it to the dealer so they can persue the matter again!

Not Happy, Honda Technical say that the part that Mr B has stated has not changed since 2008!

18. HRCTrev09

HRCTrev09 Well-Known Member

In all honesty guys this is the reason I got a non abs Blade! I just don't trust electronics! Especially when it comes to braking! The chance of me needing them far outweighs the chance of them failing! Non abs stops quicker in the dry! I saw my mate go down on his abs Blade in the dry! His bike sat up and went off road! I stopped no probs I'm not saying his brakes caused the off but it changes the bikes characteristics makin it less manouverable under full on emergency braking!
    I rode the new ZZR1400 epic bike but electric put me off! Ubrupt tc when it spins up according to MCN journo.

#38 HRCTrev09, Apr 11, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  19. MrB

MrB God Like

I also opted for non ABS.

p.s. Just a side note if you haven't signed anything i.e. a job card describing the work they are to do then even if they have done the service etc you can claim your bike without paying. Some dealers believe they have the right to hold onto the bike until the bill is paid but unless you have signed to authorise the work then you can ask for your bike and ride off into the sunset.

20. Pete1987

Pete1987 Active Member

I have authorised work over the phone, i'll have to sort something out though as its not the dealers fault Head Office are stating that nothing is wrong.