Fireblade C-ABS Problem Thread C-ABS owners please look here.

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Pete1987, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Kiwi,

No it is not unmoved, it has moved every day this week, its just that I have arrived earlier than you and left later I guess.

And no, I did not rear end someone, it was much more heroic that, and is explained in graphic detail on the forum.

As for the wife, I tried a test fit last night, but the thread was wrong, still she seems to be humouring me on this one

2. Dougie M

Dougie M Active Member

That's not really true about racers not wanting abs! John mcguiness has abs on his tt bike and all the endurance racers Honda bikes use it to great effect...just saying

• Like Like x 1
  3. travellingkiwi

travellingkiwi Active Member

I think that's probably the difference between using ABS on the track (On or off, There's probably not many opportunities to feather the brakes on the track when racing. No I don't race, but people I know do, and they don't feather), and the road (You feather because of the idiots on either side of you as you come up to the traffic lights, or a queue of traffic).

Two different modes of riding... Sadly the bike Honda sell for the road doesn't seem to have road-worthy brakes...

H

4. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

don't forget to mention that honda have a special ABS race ECU they use ;)

and I do race, and no I wouldn't want ABS on my 2013 blade racebike ;)

5. travellingkiwi

travellingkiwi Active Member

special == works?

H

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dougie M

Dougie M Active Member

Yeah but my point was saying racers don't use abs is rubbish regardless of the set up, point is they use it and it works for them, so....racers use abs, and the irony is it's used on a road race bike by the greatest of them all

7. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

He may have abs on his fireblade while goin round the tt circuit but it's not the same abs equipment that's fitted to the stock road goin bike thats in the honda showrooms!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dougie M

Dougie M Active Member

Yeah I know that, but he has abs, that's the point as per my previous comment

9. Pevely1

Pevely1 New Member

Pete, did you ever get this sorted? I'm on my second 2010 C-ABS HRC Blade and both have had the same problem. I have just had the ABS module changed (£1150, thank god for extended warranties!) but the fault is still there.
    I still love the bike but this is testing my loyalty to Honda. Any information would be great.

10. Dougie M

Dougie M Active Member

I've sold mine and bought a panigale, with brembo brakes with a tired and tested bosh system!
    There is no way on earth i was going to ride a bike were I can't 100% trust the brakes it's madness.
    Good bye Honda you lost another customer.

11. thezipsteruk

thezipsteruk Elite Member

Or you could stick to the awesome Honda and ditch the ABS entirely and by the non ABS model like I did!
    that way you can still take your bike out in the rain...unlike the ducati boys ;)

to add my 2 pennies worth regarding Mr Mcguiness etc, If I had a complete HRC mechanic crew at my disposal and only had to use the bike for one race at a time before it got a service.
    Then Id have the ABS back too, as when it works its great...but it don't work for long before needing a loving tinker.
    just my opinion of course.

12. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Peveley I see this is your 1st post. Please can you read up on the ABS issue threads here and advise if you have contacted VOSA with your concerns.

I am interested that Honda have changed the unit and you still see an issue. Could you explain what the issue is that you are suffering from on your Blade.

Any owners with issues that are unresolved after dealer work are more than welcome to add weight to the campaign to get Honda to deal with this.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pete1987

Pete1987 Active Member

My issue was resolved with the modulator change. Not had a problem since.

I would suggest that the brakes were not bled correctly when the modulator was fitted.

14. amnesia

amnesia New Member

Pete1987;

Remind me again, what exactly was your issue? My brakes are currently being bled for the 3rd time (hasn't made a bit of difference yet) and a power unit (modulator) will be the next step. I'm just curious to know what help this step has been for others (many posts indicate no change)

I get the levers moving to the bars, but no fault light.

Amnesia

15. Pete1987

Pete1987 Active Member

My problem was an intermittent total loss of braking with the lever coming to the bars and the fault code 52 coming up, incomplete brake bleed, calliper fault or front power unit fault.

I had 3 brake bleeds with the problem recurring every time, after the modulator was fitted the problem went, this is nearly 12 months ago now.

I suspected and still do suspect that there was a faulty batch of modulators and a mixture of techs not being taught properly how to bleed the system.

16. amnesia

amnesia New Member

Other than the fault code, sounds the same as mine.

After the modulator was replaced, do you still get the lever moving "a bit" closer to the bar with each successive pull (without totally releasing in between) or do they act totally like normal brakes with the levers moving the "expected" amount no matter what the circumstances?

What I'm getting at is can these C-ABS brakes ever be fixed so that they respond like one would expect brakes to respond) accurately and consistently)?

17. Pete1987

Pete1987 Active Member

I thick in theory the answer is yes it can be fixed. My brakes now feel awesome, the lever hasn't come back to the bar once since.

I certainly haven't noticed the lever creeping back, I'll check it out but to my mind i think they feel like normal breaks should feel. I'd be quite interested in trying a faulty bike side by side with mine. See if i can see a difference, i don't know of anyone local to me though with the problem.

Certainly mine have been fixed and I hope everyone else with the C-ABS blades get to have the same outcome as myself.

18. amnesia

amnesia New Member

Pete1987;

Thanks for the info.

Even when my levers don't go to the bars, they feel anything BUT awesome. They are totally inconsistent - I never know how far I will have to move the levers do get a given amount of braking. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

My dealer insists that they all behave this way, so there's no point replacing parts. I simply can't believe that Honda's engineers would design the brakes on their flagship superbike so poorly. There must be something wrong with mine. Now that I know yours feel perfect, I will never let up till they fix my (still on warranty) blade. The real trick is getting the dealer to give it a proper test ride and to admit that the brakes feel like shit! I think that once they feel it, they would be a strong advocate, but they really have to give it a good long test ride to really notice the problem - once "around the block" isn't gonna do it.

Thanks
    Amnesia

19. Pete1987

Pete1987 Active Member

Amnesia, the best thing i suggest is that if you have some way of recording the problem while its being ridden record it and show it to them. That's something i did, link is somewhere in this thread to the videos. If they can see they fail then that's a reason for them to actually look in depth at it.

Like i say mine feel awesome now that the modulator has been replaced. Take a look at the video i put into this thread and tell me if its a similar fault.

All the best

Pete

20. amnesia

amnesia New Member

Yup, that's exactly what mine does. I can see in the video where the lever just "gives way" and collapses. Mine does the exact same thing but no flashing ABS light. In fact the ABS is still active immediately afterward. I can tell because I am able to activate the ABS by "jamming" on the rear brake (I don't dare jam the front brake).

I also have the other (related?) problem where when I partially brake, partially ease up, and then partially squeeze the lever again (ie filtering) - the lever moves a bit closer to the bar each time. After about 5-6 times the lever is almost at the bar. This is a much more "controlled" version of the above scenario, but the end result is pretty much the same.

The bike is at the dealer right now for a bleed. Honda Canada (and the dealer) have finally taken an interest in my situation. They are going to bleed it with "tech support's" direct supervision. I insisted that the service supervisor go on an extended test ride first. Hopefully he experienced all the problems first hand. I told him to test ride it thoroughly when it's done and not to return it unless the brakes feel perfect. Hopefully this will result in a new Modulator, and the end of my problems. I'll update you with the results

Amnesia