First rideout this weekend

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ColinBR, Mar 9, 2012.

1. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Gave mine a second run out to scrub my tyres in today. managed about 15 miles after tyres scrubbed (apart from the sides which will need better road surface and warmer weather). Roads were a bit muddy and damp in places but some dry areas.

With the new exhaust, PC and air mods the bike is breathing well and the air intake noise is real music to my ears and the QA throttle is a bonus. It is pulling much harder and very smoothly with no glitches at all.

Had the usual twats pull out in front og me but fortunately managed to avoid any carnage. Now the bike is nearly sorted I am incredibly impressed with it. The rear Ohlins is magic and the front much more planted (but it is still the weakest link). I can't complain about the power now, it pulls so hard and accelerates so cleanly I even had to back her off a little......which is the first time in 1400 miles.

It is now the best handling bike I have ever had, the new Pireli BSB's are great so far. Tomorrow i am hoping to take it out for some really nice twisty roads as long as it is dry, otherwise a less taxing route will have to be done.

• Like Like x 1
  2. dave d

dave d Elite Member

oh man gutted for you.!! everybody take note new tyres!!

3. douthers

douthers Active Member

The weather for the North West is looking decent for tomorrow so I'm planning my first proper run on the HRC. Fancying a loop from here up through Lancaster to Devil's Bridge, then onto Hawes via Sedbergh and back via Skipton and the A59. May detour from this route depending on how the mood takes me :D Tyres have about 60 miles on them so this should get them properly scrubbed in.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Givover

Givover God Like

Good Run That i like it up there, beware of BMW 1000rr s not as they seem!

• Like Like x 1
  5. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

That sounds like a nice run mate. Just make sure you take some warm gloves with you. I couldn't feel my fingers after 30 mins on the bike.

#25 ColinBR, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  6. KRL

KRL Active Member

Shiiit! Sorry to hear this

7. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

Shit I'm sorry to here your bad news fella, hopefully you'll both get fixed up by time the summer gets here.

8. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Like the guys have said Chicane, devastating news mate. Fingers crossed for the recovery and the rebuild.

My brother's gone home early as he's diving first thing so the spectre of Arthur Guinness was banished with no trouble. Theres a mist coming off the estuary so theres some kind of eldritch mystical shit going on. And its saying 'Ken. Get your leathers on mate.'

Roll on Sunday morning

9. Givover

Givover God Like

Yup Not great news when you have lavished so much love and attention on your ride. I did post a warning only a couple of days ago regarding cold road surface .I can comment on this as about 4 years ago i washed my R1 Dried it and set about my ride i only got to the bottom of the close and on the first roundabout took a quick highside but managed to stay on the sucker .So lesson learnt Cold tyres/Cold road /Small contact patch of tyre and just a squeeze on throttle is all you need ,you may also add left over grit from the past 3 months just inspect the road and you will find thousands of fine grains of sand laying in and filling up each tidy void, knit them all together = no grip! Hope you have a speedy recovery and get the bike back asap.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

Dude so sorry to hear this. The Sportsmarts are good tyres so the only thing I can think I that there was crap/grease on the tyre left from fitting? I've just scrubbed my set in and although I took it with care I still gave them a little bit of full throttle action with no problems at all.

Were you at a lean or were you upright? Sucks that you got an injury from it too.

11. Chicane

Chicane Active Member

Cheers guys, appreciate the support.
    Thing was, it wasn't cold surface as it was reading 18 degrees on my car just before I left, which should be fine low speed. It felt like I was on ice and just span and snaked and flipped. I think it might be the dust on the road as Arthur Bikemad fitted the tyres and I watched him do it and wipe them down and he knows more about 1000rrs that Honda does an I trust him explicitly.

Just a real kick in spuds after spending so much time and effort getting her running sweet. Plus a hole in Repsol Tshirt that went through my leathers wasn't welcomed.

12. Rob

Rob Administrator
    Staff Member

Fair play if it was Arthur we can discount the crap on tyres. Could just be bad luck mate.

I had a similar (albeit a low side) on a Street Triple with hot scrubbed in tyres which I could never work out the cause. In the end I put it down to crap on the road by eliminating everything else.

13. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Similar thing happened to Flatstick not long before his major off. Tyres he trusted and knew well, straight, dry road and constant throttle setting. He never got to the bottom of it either.

14. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Poor Chicane! After your txt yesterday I was out in the car, the local roads are covered in dust and salt still from the winter some of its a joke imo an why no sweepers have been out yet beats me! The tyres you have differ to most as they are produced with a hard carcase unlike say the bsb's talked about in this thread they are very hard and have a smooth finish with realease agent used in the production of the tyre there is nothing anyone can do prep them for use. As you see when I change tyres I clean the rim for the bead of the tyre to sit on, also only use enough tyre soap to seat the bead and then clean off any slip that may but never does find its way on the tyre walls or main surface. I dont see so many smarts but they are on stiff tyre as you could see when we were fitting them. You have just had some very bad luck with poor odds when it comes down to road cons! There are so many factors that lead to this its hard to say what could he the cause, also as you know I have a calibrated shrader 250.00 tyre presure gauge to so you can rest that you have dead on the right presure too, its gutted mate! As I said though I am willing to get you a deal on what you need and like anyone else I will do all I can to get you going again asap. My mate who let his pal two weeks ago ride his repsol rr7 and then high sided it 20 yards away from him knows just how you feel but today he was back out on it after I sorted the bike made it better than before and we both were out and about again. Hes on the same tyres as his pal was no problem, all tyres have moments but sadly some are worse than others it does not mean the tyres are bad its just the outcome that can.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Gutted for you Chicane

16. Villan

Villan Active Member

Real gutter Mate.
    These things,sadly, can and do happen.
    Hope your rib heals up and you get the blade sorted asap.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

17. rooroorooster

rooroorooster Active Member

+1 on that mate. Get well soon Chicane, hopefully you'll get sorted for when the summer comes

18. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Well I honestly wouldn't blame crap on the tyres then if it were Arthur that fitted them then mate. As you said he really knows what he's doing. If there is anything we can do to help don't hesitate, just ask and I'm sure we'll try and help you get back up and running asap.

Keep that chin up mate. You'll be back to your old self in no time.

19. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Thanks for the vote from you all. When I do work for people its the same as my own. I feel for you mate as I have been there so many times before and its gutting, worse when like yours lots of work and money over the winter and then this! Like I say some tyres need more time than others to scub in but imo its always a number of factors, cold, grit etc etc etc. Dont blame yourself mate its just the problem with two wheels no big deal in a car but on a bike! Ive seen pleanty of racers do the same in pit lane!... Talk soon chap.

20. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Chicane mate I'm gutted for you.

Obviously I can't say it was this or that as I wasn't there pal, but I can honestly say I scrubbed the sportsmarts in the other week and thought they were amazing from the off.

I'd put it down to simple bad luck - happens to us all dude, my pal highsided his the other day and rides every day of the year, and another last summer killed his entirely, both less than 200 yards from home, both experienced class riders.

Hope you get better soon and the bike is back in no time...

If it makes you feel any better, mine was destroyed by a dead badger the other week! Lol