God I feel old

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Freedom of choice, Dec 20, 2013.

1. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Polished up the dish, replaced the strings with fishing line, g cramped the dish down so we could get full pull, then cut notches into the tops to make them dig in.

I know, I have issues...

2. lillywhites

lillywhites Active Member

Good lord had one of those as well Ken........hours and hours of fun......thanks for reminding me:cool:

3. Marion

Marion Well-Known Member

When I was little I was brought up in the sticks in the sunny north. My nanna had two coal fires to heat the whole house so in winter had to de ice the inside of windows to see out. Her electric blanket fitted into the light ie take the bulb out and fit electric blanket cable in. No bathroom, the toilet was down the yard. I can remember when she had a flush toilet fitted! Bath was a tin bath in front of fire or in summer in the garden ! Hot water and baking were both done by lighting the fire and the food she baked was brilliant.

• Like Like x 3
  4. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

My grandad was a ganger on a road crew and keeping clean for him was a 'strip wash' in the scullery sink, Monday to Friday. Then Saturday morning the tin bath came off the nail in the back yard, into the scullery where he'd sit as my nan filled it from kettles and saucepans relay heated on the stove. Then he'd dress in his demob suit (blue serge double breasted pin stripe) before the other members of his road gang would turn up and they'd traipse off to the pub, rolling out on closing time to a kipper tea.

Can't smell kippers now without beaming straight back to my Nan's scullery in 1965.

• Like Like x 3
  5. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hondaboy63

Hondaboy63 Active Member

My ringtone is bill and Ben. Many a day of keeping life simple and not expecting too much in life.
    Mmm I quite fancy the new IPad, oh oh the new smart phone. That's 8 year olds.
    I wanted a plastic man from uncle briefcase,.to the younger generation it was made of plastic, not titanium.
    Motorbikes at that time were rarity, but me old man had one.
    SimonRR, you hade the life of luxury.

7. Tifa

Tifa Active Member

Remember them???
    I used to sell the bloody things!!!
    Worked for Rumbelows.....sold ZX/Vic20&64/BBC too
    Anyone remember
    rolf harris stylophones?
    radiograms?
    music centres?
    8 tracks?
    radio cassettes..the big ones?