Hankering after a big V-Twin

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ColinBR, Aug 4, 2012.

1. IcarusGreen

IcarusGreen Elite Member

I'm not jealous - much!

2. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Thought you said it needed tlc? That looks lovely... Right about the wheels though, I'd change but not end of world.

3. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

I managed to strip the SP1 down today. Though to be honest it's the easiest bike I've had to strip. 20 minutes after starting the panels were off and sat up the loft.
    I also removed the exhaust system as it was blowing from 1 of the gaskets at the rear cylinder (simple job and the parts are already on their way). Im still unsure on weither or not to polish up the exhausts from front to back or not. I've already cleaned them up a bit and removed any rust from the pipes and joints. Its a long and boring process, and to be honest I'd rather just get stainless headers instead.
    While at it I checked the air filters and they will be getting replaced next week along with new spark plugs, oil & filter.
    Im also going to replace the swingarm as it has been polished to a high shine, much the same as the wheels, which to be honest I dont think suits this bike at all. I'll wait till its off road for the winter before doing this, as I want to take the bike out for a few rides first.

Here a few pics of progress so far

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Looks good mate, told you they are nice to work on.. I agree about the shiny shiny, think the arm is ok..ish but rims etc not for me but that don't mean it does not look good, I do loads of polishing for people and shops it works on some bikes but not others like you say... I find a tin of "akrapovic" works well on exhaust systems....lol and that spray on Titainum works nice too... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. MrB

MrB God Like

Have to agree re the swingarm too polished and nope doesn't suit the bike.

6. arthurbikemad

7. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

I'd love to fit some akropovic exhausts on it mate. But the bank manager (girlfriend) would in no sertain terms chop my bollocks off. Don't get me wrong if they came up at the right price I wouldn't say no ;)

8. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

9. arthurbikemad

Ha ha you must have been posting that while I was on eBay for you...lol. But you could sell the old ones.....lol

Anyway your lucky coz the full Ti WSB Akrapovic for 3,750.00 seems to be missing or sold.....lol

10. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

It's the headers that need the most attention to be honest Arthur. I can't find any stainless 1's though and I don't fancy shelling out for a full system.

11. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Is there not a swingarm in your shop just now up on eBay mate? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

I can confirm the akra's sound the absolute bolloxs mate ;)

Must have if you ask me lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. arthurbikemad

Yeah we will help spend some more cash.....lol

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Ha ha! Yep - I'm even better at spending other people's money. My standard response when any mate really needs talking out of buying something is "fcuk it - what's the worst that could happen" lol

15. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

You 2 are going to get me strung up by the short and curly's. Lol

16. MrB

MrB God Like

Oh by the way, the SP we have in the workshop at the moment, that hasn't been run nor looked at by it's owner for the last 4 years which was left with a tank of fuel. He's just authorised a new tank and fuel pump at the cost of around £1300 parts alone as the fuel had seriously gone off and the gum and corrosion was like nothing I've ever seen before. The pump looked like it had been sat at the bottom of the sea for 4 years and was completely knackered.

Will be checking the fuel lines and throttle bodies soon but he's said it all needs to be done !

17. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

If I were you mate I'd be keeping that tank, and any other bits you take off it. I'm sure the tank can be cleaned without any probs, and you'd make a pretty penny on it.

Does his swingarm not need replaced also? Only kidding mate. That bike of his is absolutely mint, but it does need to be ridden, I hate seeing a bike sat in a garage/storage and not doing what it was built to do.