Important Notice - Please Read If You own an ABS 2009 Onwards Model

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by jimglasgow, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I don't think it's the majority but do feel something needs to be done.

Had my ABS blade over 2 years. From track, touring and fast road and not one problem

• Like Like x 1
  2. barry107

barry107 Active Member

Sideways, at first I use to get that huge heart stopping moment but now i'm use to it :rolleyes:

I have noted that it tends to happen if I have been sat in slow moving traffic as well as on hot days just like this weekend.

On a 60 mile ride home on Sunday (mainly motorway & A roads), the c-abs only failed within the last 10 miles when I was in slow moving traffic.

3. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Sideways, we need to keep a level of calm here, no need for panic.....they are still better than the brakes I had on my Fizzy back in the 70s

4. Pete1987

Pete1987 Active Member

I agree completely, we need to keep calm with this situation, and make informed decisions based on the facts we have to hand, we have to also be fair and give people a chance to reply to our questions and not make demands.

5. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

But you got a few more ponies pushing you along too fella.

Hope you lads all get it sorted soon. Surprised to see so many folk with issues with it. Not great

• Like Like x 1
  6. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Wait up mine was a dx last of the 70s I have you know.Quality front disc brake ;)

7. SIDEWAYS

SIDEWAYS Senior Member

Did the FS1E have a hp?:eek:
    Not even with a yb100 engine in it either.

8. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

Just a thought for you guys with this problem but has anyone looked to see if this issue is being experienced by American riders. The "lemon" laws about vehicle defects there make it much easier to either get repairs or replacement vehicles issued to people with defective vehicles, dealers usually get a few goes at fixing it, but if you're without your wheels for thirty days in most states you get a new one. So they will report faults much more willingly perhaps than a mustn't grumble type Brit.

I can't imagine that this is solely a UK issue unless the specs are massively different on the other side of the pond.

9. Slick

Slick Elite Member

yep there are issues over the pond too

C-ABS issues : Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycle Forums: 1000RR.net

10. Repsol1

Repsol1 New Member

Just thought this may be of interest to members with concern to safety.

VOSA - Vehicle Recalls

Cheers,

Tim

• Like Like x 1
  11. sinewave

sinewave God Like

It's happened two or three times now on my MY12 model

12. Givover

Givover God Like

No issues to report this weekend .boiling hot some very fast sweeping roads, some hot stuck in traffic moments and some hard breaking hope this helps .:cool:

13. Pete1987

Pete1987 Active Member

My bike seems to be better now I have realised that the new levers i put on didnt quite fit properly, since making the part that the master cylinder plunger fits in have the right shape, the brakes now feel like they should.

If you have aftermarket levers this might be worth looking at.

• Like Like x 1
  14. travellingkiwi

travellingkiwi Active Member

Juts noticed this on Visordown... In the advanced riding section...

When riding in town or fast country back-roads, get into the habit of ‘arming’ your brakes by riding with one finger constantly on the lever. You can still use the throttle and hold on to the bars, but should you have to brake hard and fast, just having your finger already on the brake will give you an advantage – a potential life saver.

Read more: 18 Quick tips to boost your riding skills - Advanced Riding - Visordown

They probably need to update that... A potential life saver, UNLESS you're riding a fireblade with ABS... In which case it's a potential killer.

H

• Like Like x 1
  15. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I've stuck this thread now so that it's easier for everybody to look up.

Can I ask that in the spirit of Jim's first post that we try and use it for the intention he first stated, as an aid to speak to the right people with regard to any ABS problems that may not be filtering back to Honda.

I love banter, (you've probably noticed) but for 'stickied' threads it, sort of defeats the object.

The links to Pete1987's threads are still in there and are well worth reading and following but if we keep the chat down on it, it'll be easier to find what you want.

Peace out y'all...

16. Pete1987

Pete1987 Active Member

Thanks kpone, much appreciated.

Pete

17. jimglasgow

jimglasgow Member

18. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

Easy, just imagine you are coming through traffic, and rather than braking to a full stop, you just ease the brake to bring the speed down, all the time breaking lightly and gently taking off speed, in the end the lever comes all the way back to the bar.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. travellingkiwi

travellingkiwi Active Member

I just about took out a pedestrian last night who stepped out in front of me... Luckily just clipped his bag... ~20mph and lever back to the bar again. Hadn't even been feathering. But had just used the brakes & started to release... Then had to grip again. This is not too good..

Will ring Honda on Monday...

H

20. jimglasgow

jimglasgow Member

Buddy please ring Honda Customer care. I spoke with a girl called Joe, so might want to do the same, the more that call Honda Customer Care direct and miss out the dealers this might help. They honestly believe it's the characteristic of the braking systems.

No matter how many times i tell them it goes to straight to the bar without any braking, they just dismiss it. I get that there may be some movement in the lever but this is ridiculous. Someone is gonna get hurt before anything gets done.