It's a camera thread. None bike related.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Garyb, Oct 16, 2012.

1. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't think you can get a "good taste" filter with a 58mm thread.

• Like Like x 1
  2. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Did you get a camera in the end?

I keep looking for an upgrade to my old 40D but seems when you look into it im hard pushed to find a fair priced upgrade and I like to shoot action shots so its high 6.5fps does well! The only camera I like is BIG bucks 5D Mk3 what do you camera boffs think a good upgrade from my 40D is?

Id love the 5DMk3 but need to save some cash :S

#22 arthurbikemad, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  3. Si.

Si. God Like

Arthur, i've not long bought the 5D3, i used to have a 550D, but got increasingly frustrated at the AF performance. It's a fantastic bit of kit... great FPS for sports, and still images are superb. Well worth the money. Yes, it's expensive, but it will last you years. To be fair though, all the new DSLR cameras are fantastic, they are getting better all the time.

4. arthurbikemad

Im with you all the way the 5DMk3 is a SUPER nice camera would love one some day.

#24 arthurbikemad, Oct 21, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  5. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Hi Arthur, I'm still looking down the 650D route, it seems as good a choice as any, ive had some good feedback from the guys, it's just down to me to order it now.

6. arthurbikemad

Looks good from what I've read mate, it's these HI ISOs that fascinate me at the mo, are they as good as they look? I mean my old 40d runs up to 1600 flat out and I get some good low light shots with it but I'm drawn in by these big numbers... for the money the 650 looks NICE! I'm just a happy snapper tbh I started with an Olympus OM10 years ago and I've not had many cameras but like a few on here I do love to wander about and snap stuff...saying that here are some pro photographers on here like JD etc..

7. Barney1

Barney1 Guest

Hi Arthur , a canon 1d mkll or canon 1d mklll , very very good cameras
    eBay now between £500/£1000 and that's a camera for life ,
    That's what I would buy , yes 2nd hand but build quality you won't buy better
    but I'm a canon guy , and that's just my opinion ,

8. arthurbikemad

Thanks Barney not thought of a 1d at all! Will have a look around, I don't want anything other than a Canon! :)

9. phantom

phantom Active Member

the high end cameras get away with using higher ISO but anything under a three figure
    price tag is usually very poor quality up at the 1600+ mark.I try to never go above 400
    myself unless its taking pics of my fish tank.

10. arthurbikemad

That's just it, the 40d is OK at 1600 but tbh I only use it in the high numbers for still shots of products etc I was playing with high ISO last night while thinking do I need more in the end I thought NO so I think I will stick with the 40 for a while yet I'd love to rush out and get a 5dmk3 but it's a pile of cash and I'd need lenses too! I'm gonna wait until the price drops off or look for a cheap 1dmkX... I may get a nice lense with low f. instead and stick with this body.

11. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I helped with a shoot for a local public school prospectus with a Nikon D3, just after it was released. It was the first of the mega high ISO pro DSLR's cameras and the first time Nikon had anything that could, at least, compare with the higher end Canon camera's. I was in a dingy restaurant, at night, lit with candles only. Shooting hand held at 135mm at f4 and the shots were pin sharp at 10" x 15". That was 7 or 8 years ago. Allah only knows what the current crop can get away with. Fuji's EXR technology is clever but apart from their ludicrously priced "vanity" cameras they're only coupling it to small chips which are notoriously noisy anyway and that,to me, cancels out the advantage.

12. arthurbikemad

I think the same any noise what's the point? snapping at 1600 last night inside in low dimmed incandescent light a pint glass on the table sweating beads of water filled with.....wait for it......cherry aid and ice...yes that's the highlight of my day..lol the shots were cristal clear with nice depth and good colour no noise at all and perfect in all ways I'd love to try out a better camera (full frame high iso) just to see what it's like, you know how easy it is to get drawn in on these things....lol

13. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

It's got to be tried Art. You never know how you can be surprised. I used to have a down on CMOS chips when I used to get all worked up over file sizes. But there is a smoothness to the images off them that would make me loathe to lose going back to CCD.

14. arthurbikemad

I see canon use some kind of smoothing that's not liked in some of the high end cameras I wonder if you can turn it off... The new EOS 1DX has a crazy ISO of 204,800 what kind of number is that!? can that work, what's it like? where do you use that? the dark side of the moon? Also I see some people say the new 61 point focus is too busy...you know the more I look the more questions on upgrade are raised from my current model if it was a simple no questions needed I'd be in the shop passing the card....lol

15. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

at 200,000 ISO you can shoot with the lens cap on.

If I can't get hands on to actually play with a bit of kit, these are the people whose opinion I like to read.

Digital Photography Review

16. arthurbikemad

In that case I need one.....lol

Nice site will have a look around... found this on page one....awsome!

[​IMG]

17. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Isn't that Jeri Halliwell bending over?

18. arthurbikemad

19. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Just an update on this thread, ive gone with my original choice as per my first post.
    The Camera is the Canon EOS 650D 18 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm IS II Lens.
    and for the longer work iv'e also added a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 USM III Filter size 58mm Lens.
    plus a few bits,bag, tripod, spare batteries, sd cards ipad sd card reader etc

thanks to everyone who had advice on this to help me come to my decission, all i need now is wait until tomorrow for the delivery van :D

Ill put a pic or two on when iv'e got going.

• Like Like x 2
  20. callumw

callumw Active Member

I'd hold off the D600 for the moment. They found a design flaw where there's a small gap in the shutter that's allowing dust to get onto the sensor.
    May be fxed in a recall and on higher serial number cameras from factory.

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/10/23/nikon-d600-sensors-dust-spots

P.S. I think all the cameras since the D300 (2008?) have timelapse built in.
    Maybe from before then(D200?), but the D300 was my first Nikon.

#40 callumw, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012