Knee down, I'm fed up now

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Carl, Jul 21, 2014.

1. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

well my D212pro have only done two days, so hopefully will last a bit longer yet :)
    I just hope i don't need my wets?

Snetterton has 7 rights and 5 lefts. so at least they even themselves out on that track? :D

#61 SimonRR, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  2. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Not meaning to hog the thread although it's kind of relevant. Apart from the hairpin at turn 2 most of the right handers look quite fast, right where i've got more tread with the Racetec reversed. I was watching a few Youtube vids, it's pretty flat, but Oggies is what you've got to watch out for as it's a late turn in.

[​IMG]

3. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

yeah been practicing on my car sim ;)
    yeah Oggies is a double apex I think?

should be good, if a little flat ;)

4. HRCTrev09

HRCTrev09 Well-Known Member

49yrs you should bloody know better ;) lol

What it's is with me mate is I'm a boring old fart :D My Blade was a long time coming dude and I love her to bits I know I couldn't cope if I wrecked her, my gear or myself!:eek:
    My mindset is I feel lucky and proud to have her and I have nothing left to prove apart from getting home safely to my two wee boys and wife everytime I dice with the blue rinse brigade or muppets who think they're faster in the Clio's or Corsa's!
    Our Blade is a big part of the family! The kids and missus love her very much too and I know the kids would divorce me never mind me wife if I threw here down the road trying to touch down with my sliders!

I ain't takin nothin away from you Carl I hope you manage your goal mate without any mishaps each to there own, whatever cooks yer goose or floats your boat and all that ;)

I'm not really a boring old fart your never to old I'm just very much under the thumb :D

5. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

hey come on guys, my body says I'm 55 :eek: (but my mind tells me different lol ;)) I do loads of track days and have both knee sliders worn, you're never to old lol :D

#65 SimonRR, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  6. scooby

scooby Elite Member

you really dont need to lean off that much,just go fast enough and lean the bike in...

me+spike@oulton.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  7. hoggyjay

hoggyjay Active Member

Hey Carl,
    I manged the holy grail on my third track day last year (there is a reason for this idol boast!!!!). For the life of me I couldn't manage it on the road with more modern and better handling machinery. It was getting right on my pecs until maged to workout the problem was in head.

On a track you have a braking, turn in and apex marked with a cone. These points of reference make your eyes look further into the corner and literally give you something to aim at. Lap after lap you try and hit the same marks going slightly faster with more lean.

On the roundabouts your hanging off and trying to lean over more. This is a very hard thing to convince your body to do.

My advice is, find your favorite roundabout, find a spot where you're going to start turning and an apex or target to aim at. Anything will do, different colour kerb, change in road surface. look hard enough and something will jump out at you. Don't worry about the rest of the RB. Concentrate on the start and finish of one turn hitting your marks. Try and progressively quicker. You will get there!!!!!!!!

ATB,
    Hoggy

PS trackdays are the safer environment the skuff virgin sliders.

8. Great Guy

Great Guy Well-Known Member

I did knee down last year for the first time. Basically it requires a lot of practise on a quiet roundabout, 3rd gear constant revs about 30mph. When you are well over, 1/2 bottom off bike etc, then start to counter steer.
    It is really quite easy. To gauge you distance, stick a cut down toilet roll inner on your knee slider; start at 3" say, and work down; this is how I did it. When I was using a 1" roll the ground just came up a took it off and left a mark on the slider.
    Remember, stable 2 little tabs onto the roll then tape this lot onto your slider; it looks dodgy; so I took the tape with me at taped on quite near the roundabout.

#68 Great Guy, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  9. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

About the closest I got so far. Need to work on upper body. This was also the corner I binned it on a session or 2 later.

[​IMG]

10. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Carl there is a knee down school somewhere down here, may be one your way?
    If not and you decide to come this way I will save some penny's and come with you if your up for it

11. Souleh

Souleh Active Member

Its all in ya bum. Sounds rough but try to get your bum crack lined up on the edge of the seat so youve one cheek floating in the air.

[​IMG]

Thats a photo of a chicane so not the most lean angle but only rear shot ive got to try and help me point. Youll see my body in that pic isnt a million miles off what youre doing but my bum cheeks off the seat. In doing that you drop your leg and knee will touch down.

Once you get used to it then your knee is only there as a guide to lean angle etc. (For me anyway)

[​IMG]

Also notice the hold on the handlebar for the side youre leaning, you start to hold it more like a tennis racket than at a 90deg grab.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  12. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Not that I'm attempting it

image.jpg

13. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Loving the image in the bottom left :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Seen a bloke go round the roundabout in my village like that the other day, bike vertical & the bloke hanging off (pathetic)