Learning basic Bike Maintenance

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Remal, Dec 20, 2011.

1. rocket

rocket Active Member

i had the advantage of 2 older brothers to learn from many years ago and will confidently take on anything on my own bikes. started tinkering with bikes from about 10. i just plan things out in my head beforehand and take your time and use the correct tools. not a big fan of rebuilding usd forks but anything else i enjoy it. gives you great pleasure in doing the job yourself and saving a handful of cash along the way.

2. megawatt

megawatt Well-Known Member

Been doing my own maintenance, servicing and modding for 35 years. Have bought a Haynes manual for every bike I've owned. No substitute for actually doing yerself. If you're keen , buy a cheapo bike and a manual and practice servicing and stripping it. Same offer as MB from me. If you can get to my place, I'll show you how to do it, but you will do it yerself!!!

3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Feeling the need to get a mate in the spring to pop over and give me a hand/guidance. cheers for the replys so far chaps

4. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Best way to learn is to dive in and get hands on . Every job you do you will learn for next time and it will take a fraction of the time when you know what your doing

• Like Like x 1
  5. JM1

JM1 Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Cheers JM1

I emiled haynes about a manual for the 8-11 blade and their reply

--------------

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding a Service and Repair Manual for your vehicle. Unfortunately, we do not produce a Manual for this particular model and have no plans to do so within the next 12 months.

However, all of our customer requests are recorded and used in the decision making process of future Manual publications/updates.

You could try contacting your local dealer to see if he can be of assistance or looking on the internet at any owners forums.

I am sorry for any inconvenience.

Kind regards

Carol Limer

Customer Services Supervisor

Direct line: 01963 442101

Fax: 01963 440001

Email: [email protected]

www.haynes.co.uk

Which amazes me as this model is one of the most bought sports bike since it was released

7. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I had that with Haynes when I bought my 206. As the GTi was a brand new model then their policy is to wait X amount of years after launch before writing a book. They agreed to email me when one became available but never did.

Somebody at Haynes actually has 'Climer' as an email address. LOL.

8. Lowlight

Lowlight Active Member

There are things you need to get a feel for (or a torque wrench!) Like if you take the back wheel off, the swing arm flexes out a bit so when you tighten it up you need to make sure the nut is tight enough to hold the wheel in place rather than just taking up the 'slack' in the swing arm.

Most things are strait forward, that just popped into my head. Things are much easier on my old Blade though

9. JM1

JM1 Active Member

• Like Like x 2
  10. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

OK I also had this with my 2008 Speed triple. But by mid 2009 they had a manual out for the 1050cc engine. been almost 4 years and very very popular and still nothing

11. Gums

Gums Active Member

a very good tip from me and one you will never ever forget ! NEVER EVER kneel on small nuts or bolts