Luggage ideas?

Discussion in 'Touring' started by maluczczi, Apr 22, 2015.

1. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Nice idea those Hepco and Becker stuff, or you could do as my mate did as he's never used his pillion seat since buying his R1 new in 2005.......he bolted a metal tray through the pillion seat and then used the plate as per the H&B stuff above! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Nigelg79

Nigelg79 Active Member

If you're still looking I have a Ventura system for sale for 08-15 - selling the l-brackets and pack rack. It's in the for sale section if you're interested.

3. maluczczi

maluczczi Active Member

I was looking for so long but bought same already new cause noone was selling wrrrrrr
    Good luck mate

4. honda.ima

honda.ima Active Member

How do you manage on that?
    You have to sit upright in the wind.

5. maluczczi

maluczczi Active Member

I already came back from IOM TT so I can add my solution :p It did good job but unfortunately it wasn't cheap
    Givi Tank lock bag
    Oxfoord Aqua Roll Dry bag
    And Ventura system

20150530_131052.jpg 20150530_131101.jpg 20150530_131111.jpg 20150530_130800.jpg

6. Wayne_R

Wayne_R Active Member

Having done a few bike rides and carrying luggage, I purchased nearly all the Kriega bags you could think of. Then last year I had to carry 60 ltrs of luggage for a holiday in France (As I refuse to wear a rucksack) and the weight and the fiddly nature of the bags and how they attach lost its appeal.
    The weight wrecked the paint on the back of the bike, and I just couldn't get to anything I wanted as there is only one way into the bag.

So when I returned I purchased a 40ltr Roll bag which is 100% waterproof and is designed for those who scuba dive or surf and carry wet clothing and some rubber aligator straps, and will carry that on the back. I've also now invested in a tank bag, to take me to the same capacity or more if I extend the TB.

Those Hepco & Becker plates look tidy. Might consider that as well.

Kriega are great, and I still have a 20ltr one for that rainy day, but thats it.

7. djmrmagic

djmrmagic Active Member

Ventura all the way baby!!

I hate things on my back, or tank bags in the way at the front, and have tried Bags connections, kriega and just generic bags tied to the back.
    I like the Ventura as its drop the bag over the hoop, two clicks and on, stays stable and doesn't move. It doesn't touch the bike so doesn't mark the paint work.

Perhaps it was user error but with the bagsconnection and kreiga no matter how tight I pulled the straps, the bags still moved (and then scratched the paint) plus it took way longer to attach to the bike, take off.

You ask on a forum like this and you will get 20 different opinions, you have to work out what is right for you, that might be ventura, it might be kreiga, either way your going to the TT! Yay!!!!! :)

Picture 002.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Repsol Rob

Repsol Rob Elite Member

Ventura is very adaptable great kit......

9. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Rather than start a new thread.

Just got back from the first attempt with some weekend luggage on the CBR, and a few first impressions:

Oxford Aqua 50 Litre roll bag, just strapped to the back of the bike, with a few Oxford bungees and some non-elastic straps.

Plus points
    • Easy
    • Cheap
    • Carry lots of stuff
    • Can be secured onto the the back seat easily enough (secured as in not falling off at 80mph, rather than against thieving ....... )
    • Waterproof
    • Some access to contents on the road

Minus points
    • Needs to be full and tightly rolled, to maintain structural integrity (does not sit the same on a bike with just a can of coke and a bag of crisps in it)
    • What do you use for day luggage (you stay somewhere, unpack, then go out for day rides with only a few bits and pieces - camera, waterproofs)

If that Hepco & Becker plate is broad enough and secure enough to hold a 1/4 empty roll bag then it is a winner, if not it will have to be panniers. Otherwise I will have to take a separate bag for day rides.

Finally sorted the strapping arrangement for the Aqua 50; there is another little strap of mine securing the front two "D" rings making sure the bag does not slide off the back (and into the back wheel !)

[​IMG]

#49 Mattie660, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  10. Mickydove

Mickydove Active Member

image.jpg image.jpg
    The Hepco & Becker rack is plenty wide enough for my 60 litre roll bag and would recommend

11. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Thanks for the pictures. I have ordered the rack and the extension plate; a 60 litre bag should do it for luggage, I hope.

12. tony lomas

tony lomas Member

Hi venture is the kit went to the tt and assen with the wife great kit can be expensive thou

13. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

The Hepco & Becker rack and extension plate arrived early morning the day of departure - took about three weeks to arrive from Germany land.

Looking at it figured that the best way to secure my Oxford Aqua 50 bag to thee extension plate was with Zip Ties (cable ties).

Had a bag of Zip Ties, figured 2 on each corner of the Oxford bag, and 2 removals of luggage there and 2 on the way back means I would need 32 ties for the trip. Anyway bought another packet at a petrol station, so had plenty - removed them at the end of the day with the little scissors on the Leatherman - cut the ends off as well to make it look tidier.

Also used a couple of Oxford bungees but the Zip Ties would probably have held it on their own .

Outwardly looks like the bag is held on with just a couple of straps, but:

[​IMG]Repsol station by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

....on each corner a couple of Zip Ties, looped through the fabric rather than the plastic D-Ring which I thought could possibly break.

[​IMG]Zip Ties by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

Given longer to figure it out would probably have got thicker Ties, and only had to use one on each corner, but hey... :)

14. Manfred

Manfred Active Member

Another £15 jobbie... plenty enough for 1 week.

WP_20160817_001.jpg

• Like Like x 1