My Winter Project :-)

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by lambchops, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Mattlong

Mattlong New Member

Ive also had a play with how this could be modded, now im not sure if its going to be possible to weld to a complex shape like the outside of the tank.. Any welders advise? Need another end of the box section but I hope you get the idea.. Fuel pump will go on the end.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

I'd be inclined to make a fibreglass tank cover and fab up an alloy tank the shape you need, it would be lighter, and uber cool.

2. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

thats exactly what thinking hump, have a 2007 inner tank here now and then would cut the complete inside out of mine and use it as a cover. frame and engine at machine shop now so cant try the 2007 tank in yet to know where its going to sit but its my preferred approach now. just depends if the inner and outer tank filler holes line up... can move the 2007 tank backwards but not forwards due to how close it buts up next to the airbox..

3. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

not a bad idea also mattlong... if the 2007 tank doesnt work thats my next fav choice. could then use my mint painted tank and save me getting anything repainted! full of good ideas you folk :)

4. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

thanks form heads up on the wiring diagram sinewave :)

5. hump333

hump333 Member

I've got top welder he can do anything lambchop. I'd try the tank of 07 then if dont line up nice cut it up an have the bottom welded to your original tank ;-)

6. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Really like that idea Matt, will look into that :) anyone know any company's that could tackle it?

Also an option hump thanks, annoying the engine and frame are away as itching to get on with it!

#186 lambchops, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  7. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Well no news yet.. Frame is still at the machine shop having the mountings made up and connected.. managed to pickup some 04 headers for the bike however and some other little parts, slowly collecting everything I need :)

Been thinking about finishes some more and still cant make my mind up on the frame / subframe finish I want.. Ive been tempted to get the frame done with this carbon dipping, what do you guys think to this process? I just cant make my mind up whether its to maxpower or not... Heres a pic of a swinging arm done in it

[​IMG]

contacted these folks and they could do my whole frame and subframe but im just not sure, they are in pool may have to go and see the finish for myself...

Carbon Dipping & 3D Hydrographics Gallery | Wicked Coatings | Wicked Coatings

8. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I was just about to suggest dipping, Arthur's mate got a few bits done there and it looks pretty good, I'm getting a few bits done over winter

9. sinewave

sinewave God Like

I personally think having the whole frame done is too much?

Look to copying the BCB/WSB Bikes and keep it Trick & current!

10. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Know what you mean Sinewave, I just cant decide... Im thinking perhaps keep the frame silver with a fine brush finish with perhaps one polish over just to give it a slight shine then get it anodised clear to protect it. The subframe could look rather nice carbon coated and then some little touches like the fairing in fills and fairing stays plus any little alloy brackets I make up, new clock mount for example.

11. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

Dave's mate has his wheels done like this on his KTM RC8 . I saw it on Sunday and it looks convincing .

But maybe a bit much for the frame [​IMG]

12. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Well been at it in the garage again today, no engine or frame back but made a bracket to mount the new clocks to the 900 front subframe:

[​IMG]

all fitted

[​IMG]

The manifold also arrived, the 04 doesnt have a a/r sensor from the looks of it and the 06 / 07 does.. As im running 04 management didnt bother with it, can allways add one later if its needed. Got it from motofix and its been blasted so looks quite good, was a bargain at £20.

[​IMG]

Also started polishing the swinging arm, ground off the embosed Aprilia. Ive sanded the arm down removed the clear anodising and done a light polish on it. Need some more wet and dry to finish it off.

[​IMG]

13. Tug

Tug Active Member

At last I've had my fix!!!! Nice one LC, keep it coming:D, love the carbon dipping idea. Not too much though. The swing arm is looking awesome a nice embossed HRC on there will look really trick IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Bet that was a messy job mate! As Nutty says my mate Kev had the wheels on his RC8 dipped, look the bollox.

15. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Thanks Tug & Dave :)

Ive decided (I think) not to get the whole frame carbon dipped, just the subframe and perhaps the cast part of the swinging arm im thinking.. Not sure yet.. Will also get some other small parts done including the clock bracket and some other parts. Ive also contacted wicked coatings and they are doing me a half price deal as the bike is going to be featured so thats a right result :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Right- quick everybody, get your gear you want dipped off and sent to Chops. Wicked coatings will be amazed how much stuff you've got to dip mate!

#196 Dave V, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Mattlong

Mattlong New Member

If you've got a steady hand and nerves of steel you can do it with a router.

18. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

hehe they will Dave, they may get suspicious when they see I have three tanks and 6 sets of foot rests on the bike though :)

Ive not got the skills to attempt that Matt..

• Like Like x 1
  19. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Well ive been asked to go down the fabricators tomorrow as they want me to advise on bracket finish and where I want the screw holes in the rear mounts, sounds like it getting close to coming home!! Good job as bored as hell with nothing to fiddle with, wrist is killing me already!! :)

20. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Give the fabricator a slap! Tell him there is a forum waiting for this to happen and we don't like waiting lol :D