My Winter Project :-)

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by lambchops, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

if it was holding 100-105° stationary then with the extra half a litre I'm pretty sure it'll be fine, maybe not under 90°, but under 100° at least, next test would be a test ride to see if it cools enough ;)

2. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Yes indeed skippy my fingers and toes are crossed :) wish I had the exhaust sorted as would love a blast around the block hehe

3. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

With Evans you do not need to have the cap on ever! that's right, you can run the engine to full temp with no cap! why! coz Evans runs at 0psi unlike water based coolants, one of the great things about it is when bleeding the system you can leave it off all the time, your best off having the bike on the side stand and when run up to temp, term open, blip the throttle two or three times to clear air locks, that is the correct way (according to Honda) to clear air locks, works for me :)

4. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Great Arthur will run it up tomorrow with no cap then... Seems mental but I trust you haha. If I end up with third degree burns I know where to find you hehe

5. arthurbikemad

lol, tried and tested mate, it does expand a little in volume, I.e once expanded that's it, as I say it runs at 0psi, strange but true...lol and no, it does not effect circulation or operation of thermostats etc.. :)

edit, check out Ed China? the car guy on YouTube, he shows it running at temp in a car with no cap :)

#865 arthurbikemad, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Well run it up again today and started to loose coolant out of the res bottle, when it started to warm through would drip out of the res. Also had to put the radiator cap on as when the fan cut in, the fan blades must be out of shape vibrates the rad quite a lot and started splashing coolant all over!!

Anyway ran it up and down, more coolant dripping out, bike cooled great on the fan came on at 106 and cooled to 101 and fan went off, did this twice no issues I was happy. Anyway put bike in the garage and checked the coolant level and its again lost quite a lot :( really not sure whats going on... With this coolant it looks like bloody oil so its hard to tell if anything is mixing.. Oil level was very high through the sight glass so letting it cool and checking again.

Im thinking perhaps I didnt drain the water out very well and it has some in with this coolant.. how would this coolant react with water. I have enough coolant left to drain away whats in there and refill with fresh perhaps I should try this..

Im worried could be head gasket now...

#866 lambchops, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  7. Gilesy

Gilesy Elite Member

Oh nooo.. fingers crossed this is just an artifact of your hose set up etc and its trapped air.. :mad:

8. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Im not sure Gilles as topped it up yesterday and now again lost 300 ml maybe more.. reluctant to put any more in as then I wont have enough to completely change it out again if its contaminated.. feel very fed up :(

9. arthurbikemad

You can give me a call if you like I sent you my number (re Evans)

Evans MUST be used in a dry system or one that has been prepped with the Prep Fluid, I know you did just that so should be fine, with such a large loss of fluid it should be easy to find where it is going, Evans burns white smoke if finding it's way into the cylinders, mind you head gasket probs norm pressurize the cooling system with out getting much the other way, test the coolant is a possible answer.

#869 arthurbikemad, Mar 19, 2014
  10. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Got your voice mail Arthur, will try again in a mo :)

11. arthurbikemad

12. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Well after a quick chat with Arthur I have some ideas where to check next.. I need to try and confirm the head gasket has failed so managed to get a friend of mine to borrow a coolant testing kit. Hes dropping it around tonight, you add something to the coolant run the bike up then remove some oil (or coolant cant remember what he said) then you have some special glasses you put on to try and spot something... haha all a bit sketchy so hope he can give some better instructions when he arrives at 6 :)

Also drained off some oil, looks to be clear but dont know how the Evan's coolant reacts with oil, mixed a little bit in to the oil and seems like it will mix without foaming or doing anything which would be easy to spot.. So when I retest going to keep a close eye on the oil level to see if it increases.. Seem to have lose about another litre from running it today but it was dripping out the bike so who knows.. Also im going to remove the feed to the res tank and capture whats forced out in to a container so I can measure exactly what coming out the over flow compared with how much I have to replace to top up the level next time its run..

As the water system seems to be pressurising and forcing out coolant I think the gasket has gone :(

13. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

lets hope not mate, but where has all this coolant gone then? thats another days work and a few quid if it is the gasket

heres a pic of checking for a gone head gasket ;)

Attached Files:

#873 Skippy79, Mar 19, 2014
  14. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

yeah bad news Skippy.. It was dripping coolant out the res which would account for some of it.. Perhaps all its hard to tell. But shouldnt have been doing that. Im tempted to drain the evans out and try again with water as could be easier to diagnose with water perhaps... Remember it used to boil at 100c before when it shouldnt have in a pressurised system which could also have been the gasket all along!

If its engine out its will be a pain with my bike due to the rear engine support, may mean mostly a full strip down again as will have to slide the frame out over the engine.. Plus never done a head gasket before, may need the head decked or not? Depends I guess :(

not a happy bunny.. risk you take with buying an un-run engine. Still have the guys mobile number I bought the engine from may have to give him a call :) or could have gone I guess when it boiled over the first time due to the f-ing fan issues... End of the day if its gone will have to sort it

#874 lambchops, Mar 19, 2014
  15. Skippy79

Skippy79 Active Member

not sure how much a honda head gasket costs, but a yamaha YEC one( which is like the HRC version in different thicknesses ) was around about 90€ (70£), OEM is cheaper I think.

wish you the best of luck buddy!!!!

16. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Thanks Skippy, price sounds about what I was thinking..

Well buddy dropped the stuff around, some sort of florescent die you add to the coolant with a UV lamp to check for it in the oil.. So will try that tomorrow, tbh hope I find something with this at least then I will know one way or the other... Not sure it tests exhaust to water leakage though, he said it did will read the instructions tomorrow had enough of it for today :(

17. Haggler ®™

Haggler ®™ Active Member

Another of my fine tips.......................find someone with a "Gas fume meter"..........the sort for checking your exhaust readings on your car/bike , wave the probe over the hot coolant....if you get a reading it is defo a head gasket!!.. I'm kinda hopping its not

• Like Like x 1
  18. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Good tip haggler, could be next test if no luck tomorrow

19. rocket

rocket Active Member

ive used a sniff tester like in skippys photo. it checks for carbon/exhaust gases in the cooling system which usually indicates a leak between cylinders and cooling system. good luck with it.!!

20. hump333

hump333 Member

Is the coolant tank to low an draing out with the pressure from the water pump an heat? .

You should never use tap water in your cooling system can open a bag of worms LC.