My Winter Project :-)

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by lambchops, Sep 15, 2013.

1. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Hi hump, if I hadn't been running the Evans coolant which runs at zero pressure that could have been a possibility.. I have now removed the feed to the expansion tank for today's test as I want to capture exactly how much fluid is being lost to it. So I will experiment with having it at different heights to see if it curbs the flow.

Arthur told me yesterday some people who use Evans do away with the expansion tank completely because without a pressurised system it's not needed..

2. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Well wish me luck going to retest it now. I think the stuff my buddy has lent me isnt ideal.. Its for checking leaks externally and in the oil so hopefully may show something but wont show anything in the coolant. I asked asked Evans about the mixing with oil and they replied with this. The guys a star :)

Hi John,

The Evans will not emulsify, it may change colour temporarily.
    If you drain the coolant off and let it stand, it will separate.
    Yes, you can go ahead with the exhaust gas check.

The best thing to do is pick up replacement coolant from CFS.
    We’ll let Derek know and you can pick it up free of charge.

The Youtube series is great, really enjoying following that.

Best wishes
    Marcus

Marcus Boskey
    Communications Manager

I will drain some oil off afterwards and let it stand in a jam jar

• Like Like x 2
  3. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

HOW F-ING COOL IS THIS!!!!

It even says inside Marquez test 1 :) not mounted yet of course, just rested on :)

I open the bidding at £500 hehe

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  4. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Well just finished.. It has lost about 250ml yesterday so topped it up. Ran it today started dripping right away from cold before the thermo was even open.. Rad was super cold so wasnt letting any hot water through. Anyway dripping continued until it reach about 100c when it stopped due to a lower level in the rad. measured what it lost and its around 250ml so about the same as what I put in.

Anyway I used this florescent stuff and now its eveywhere haha, bloody have florescent greens keys on the laptop now after typing this!! haha

So will drain off some oil later and check it for colouring,

What havent done is give the bike some beans, not reved it past 3k. so gave it some beans 8 - 9k and loads of air came through. Im thinking perhaps ive had trapped air and because ive not reved it properly the waterpump has been able to shift them. Now perhaps its going to be ok was just trapped air!! I bloody hope so!!

#884 lambchops, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  5. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

IMO (and Honda's) you need to blip the throttle to release any trapped air.

6. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

yes, all this for me being stupid would be great :)

anyway more exciting stuff to share, more pics :) wheres my bridgestone sticker!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

That's some proper fecking bling lambchops!

8. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Yep indeed!! I cant believe it SPS. RCV genuine bloody parts and not only that ones removed team riders spare bikes!!! Still cant believe it even with it sat in the garage! Missus isnt impressed, well she wont be when its in the front room tonight!! haha

9. Black

Black Active Member

Wow! Just Wow!

10. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

That mud guard looks cool! Is it going to be an easy fit?

11. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Not too bad I dont think Martin, going to need a bracket from the standard mounting on the forks to the mounting holes on the mudguard. Going to have a play today :)

12. Gilesy

Gilesy Elite Member

Fantastic service.. quite fancy some of this evans stuff myself!

13. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Defo worth getting Gilesy from what ive seen so far!!

Anyway another couple of pics of the fender fitted :) Well fitted with wood mounts as ive run out of alloy so will have to remake them

[​IMG]

and one from the motogp bike.. Now I think I need the complete fairing to match!! :)

[​IMG]

#893 lambchops, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    • Like Like x 7
  14. raphael

raphael Elite Member

stunning!!

15. hump333

hump333 Member

Should of just got little hrc bottle an zip tide it up by the rad. This Evans stuff the ****.. get some ordered. Bike looking grate John

16. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

Thanks hump :) ive tried the coolant bottle mounted higher doesnt seem to make any odds..

OK latest installment of operation head gasket.. I think after yesterdays revving antics perhaps I had some trapped air as the oil I removed to rest overnight has not separated so looks like the Evans isnt seeping in to the oil.

So im thinking perhaps the coolant im loosing is the natural heat expansion (have an Evans and die mix at the mo). So just topped up the rad yesterday and today have just ran it up and captured whats been expelled via the overflow to the res tube (which is about 100ml). So will check the level in the rad when its completely cooled (will measure down till I hit coolant). Then fire it again tomorrow and if no more coolant is lost and the measure in the tank is the same when its cooled again then perhaps that's it just needed to find its level... My hose arrangement to the rad is not stock so perhaps this has caused some headache with trapped air..

Anyway as always a pic :) thats just tape on the tail to see how I want it painted

[​IMG]

#896 lambchops, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Gilesy

Gilesy Elite Member

wondering if you need to move the expantion tank :eek:.. its position and "height" in relation to the rad must be causing some of the airlock..

I'm sure once all the air is out it will be fine..

18. Phil.O

Phil.O Member

Everything ok LC?

Not often I see a day go by without an update to this thread, nevermind a full weekend.......

Starting to get withdrawal symptoms :p

19. lambchops

lambchops Elite Member

hehe thanks Phil,

Well Ive had an brain wave today after losing coolant everytime I start the bike even if the radiator is only half full before I start. I now think the water pump is flowing more liquid than the radiator can flow. So the coolant hits the rad and as its a small rad the fins cant flow the coolant quick enough so its builds up and flows out of the overflow.

So the rad is acting as a bottle neck in the system. The rad is half the size of the RR4 rad remember so half as many fins to allow coolant across the radiator. If I turn the bike off when warm the fluid bubbles down to half way up the rad, start the bike and instantly the fluid is up to the top and the overflow starts dripping.. So im going to buy a second hand RR4 or perhaps RR6 rad (as its slightly smaller) and then try again, im sure this is the problem...

• Like Like x 1
  20. kev.b

kev.b Well-Known Member

Think you will need the bigger 04 or 06 rad as the 1000rr engine gets pretty hot . Dont think the 900 rad will be up to the job .