No turning back now

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by robinh73, Feb 3, 2015.

1. robinh73

robinh73 Well-Known Member

I am on a 2009 Yamaha R6. Well, I will be when I get it back following a full refresh.

2. robinh73

Bit of an update on the old racing and Southern 100 races. I got my bike back just in time to do the first Wirral 100 round at Anglesey in March and all was fine there, nothing to report really. The bike has had quite a lot done to it this winter, the main thing being a full engine refresh and rebuild with ECU reflash and dyno set up after, which meant a bit more power and a more useable power delivery. I had a full suspension overhaul and had the steering damper done at the same time. Overall, it was a very expensive winter, but I figured that it should all be done with my heading over to the Isle of Man for the Southern 100 in July.
    I started 2015 with my Clubman licence, which I needed to upgrade to a National licence prior to doing the S100. I needed one more signature on it to be upgraded and got this at Tonfanau circuit in Mid Wales. I sent my old licence off to be upgraded and got my new and shiny National licence back through the post yesterday. At least I can now technically do the S100. I have had my entry accepted for it too, which is good, but none of these actually guarantee a race, as I need to qualify when I am there in order to be allowed to race. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that I can learn the course quickly enough in order to put in a decent enough time to be allowed to race. Failing that, it will be a bloody expensive waste of time with a holiday in the Isle of Man watching everybody else race.
    Next up is a few more races in May at Aintree and Tonfanau and one at Aintree again in early June, then it is sending the bike off for a full health check prior to loading it up into the van on 3rd July and heading to the Isle of Man.

• Like Like x 3
  3. deano69

deano69 New Member

Hats off to you,definitely takes balls to race the roads all the best bud..good luck.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. exfire

exfire Elite Member

Seems like you are getting it all sorted. I really love watching road racing, prefer it a lot to track racing.

Good luck with getting the times to compete, I am sure you will make it. Go for it but be as safe as you can.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Glad to see its coming together nicely mate :) good luck with it all....

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. robinh73

Well, in just under 24 hours, I leave for Liverpool to sail over the Isle of Man to give this road racing malarkey a go at the Southern 100. It has been quite an experience jsut getting everything sorted out to make sure the bike is fit and that I can actually race there. The bank completely hates me now, but I am sure they will understand, as it is all for a very good cause. Anyway, I shall do an update when I get back and let you all know how it worked out. A couple of before shots:

• Like Like x 3
  7. robinh73

IMG_6135.JPG IMG_6138.JPG IMG_6136.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  8. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Fantastic mate, what an achievement....

All the best and stay safe buddy :)

Living the dream. Respect

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. robinh73

Cheers Jimbo, it has been quite a ride getting to this point, so just hope it is all worth it. Thanks for the good wishes too, will keep you posted.

• Like Like x 1
  10. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

See you there buddy

• Like Like x 2
  11. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Good luck and have good one :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. -steves-

-steves- Active Member

My hat off to you sir, have a great one and I hope it all goes well :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Good luck, hope it is as good as you hope and twice as much fun :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. robinh73

Cheers guys, I am sure it will all go well. I will be crapping it come race day though!

15. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

All the very best ride well:D Good luck and good speed to you.

• Like Like x 1
  16. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

All the best mate, bigger balls than me!
    Have fun!

• Like Like x 1
  17. bash1k

bash1k Active Member

Awesome - good on you mate, all the best

• Like Like x 1
  18. robinh73

Well, I am back from the Isle of Man and what a time I have had! We arrived there late on Saturday evening and set up in the competitor's paddock next to a friend of mine. Sunday was a free day until the evening when I had to go to scrutineering for my leathers, helmet etc. and sign on. All this went well and all competitors were asked to sign the annual banner which was quite a nice touch. Having done that, the only thing left to do that evening was head out for dinner in Castletown, which is a lovely town with some great pubs and restaurants.
    I woke on Monday to be greeted with rain which stayed with us for the day. Not ideal, as Monday evening was the first practice session. True to form, the weather didn't ease off and the thought of going out onto the circuit in the rain didn't fill me with joy, but it had to be done. The schedule was 2 newcomer's laps and then a further 2 lots of 5 laps for practice and qualifying. I went out and did my 2 newcomer laps and quite enjoyed it, but thought that at race pace in the wet, it would take some learning. I returned to the paddock and waited to be scrutineered, as on the roads, you have to be scrutineered every time you go out. Shortly before my first actual practice session, it was announced that due to the weather, practice was cancelled. So, the pub it was then!
    Tuesday was supposed to be a repeat of Monday, with 2 newcomer's laps and then 2 x 5 practice laps, but due to the sessions being cut short on Monday, I was only allowed to do 4 laps to practice and also qualify in. Again, this was far from ideal as it was chucking it down. So, I headed out and built up my speed after the first lap. It was an amazing experience, as even in the wet, you could still get a proper move on. The only issues I had were the braking points into the tight first gear corners, as the front was feeling as though it would tuck under at any time and at one point on the circuit called Billown Dip, you are hard on the power in 4th and have to cross over the white lines which had more standing water on them. This caused the back end to slide out and spin on every lap, which took some adapting to, as it sent you toward a wall at about 100mph which did get the old heart going when it happened. But it didn't happen and I got my laps in and managed to qualify.
    Due to the number of riders who had entered the Southern 100 this year, they had to split the 1000s and 600s into A and B races. A was for the likes of Michael Dunlop and Dean Harrison, and the B races were for the privateers. I managed to qualify in 9th place on the grid for my race. Wednesday was a free day with no racing for myself, so I spent the evening watching all the other guys racing and what top stuff it was. Guy Martin was flying as usual round the circuit, with some epic battles between Dean Harrison, Michael Dunlop, Dan Kneen and Ivan Lintin.
    Thursday arrived and my race was due to go out at 10.15, so I got my bike scrutineered good and early at about 8.30, which allowed me plenty of time to do final adjsutments and get the tyre warmers working properly. I could also go and switch off mentally in the caravan and get myself ready, as I must admit, the prospect of starting my first ever road race in 9th out of 36, was a bit daunting.
    10.05 arrived and we were called out of the paddock to assemble on the dummy grid and at 10.10, we were released onto the road to do our sighting lap behind the marshall's bike. Having done this, we assembled on the grid and waited for the lights to go out. I got a terrible start as I go a big wheelie and lost about 10 places. I decided to just follow the pack and learn the course in the dry at race pace and when I felt right, then I would start taking places back. Over the course of the race, I made up several places and finished in 15th and 3rd fastest newcomer in my race. Not too bad at all really, as it was won by Davy Morgan (a veteran road racer) and Jonathan Howarth in second who races in BSB. I was made up with my pace too, as I had broken the 90mph average lap and it seemed to be the speed to aim for.
    I thought that was it for my racing there, as I wasn't in any other races, so I decided to speak to the organisers and see if I could get into the Senior Consolation race which was the last race of the day and would see 1000s and 600s mix together. They kindly agreed but said I would have to start in last place, which didn't bother me, as it meant more laps. I got a better start this time and made my way up from 30th to 21st after the 7 laps. I had been slightly slower in this race by 1/2 mile an hour average, but again, I wasn't put off by this, as I felt it was track time that was well used.
    So, overall, it has been an incredible experience and I can't wait to return next year. Having done a road race, I must admit that short circuits will seem a bit tame! I am going to try to do some of the Irish roads next year too. As an event itself, the S100 was incredible and had a really good feel to it. There were no barriers around the winner's podium, so you could get right up to the riders. The spectating spots were amazing, but the highlight for me, was following the last race of the meeting, there was a presentation evening in the town square. All riders who finished were called up on stage to be presented with a plaque. It doesn't sound like much, but to me it meant the world, as so often it is only the top finishers who get recognition, but here, they realise that everybody has put in the same effort.
    I can't recommend the event highly enough, not just from a racer's point of view, but a spectator's too. If you haven't been yet, then i would give it a go next year.

• Like Like x 9
  19. robinh73

11731678_846707228698668_113669588044920947_o.jpg IMG_6338.JPG IMG_6331.JPG

• Like Like x 9
  20. -steves-

-steves- Active Member

Absolutely awesome, very well done :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1